Stop Paying Killer ATM Fees

CA2BA said:
I have bank of america. How do you make deposits from Argentina?

What kind of deposit do you want to make?

If you have a check, you can mail it to the "Mail Teller" for your state. Call the customer service number & ask for the address of the Mail Teller for your state. Write "For Deposit Only" and your bank account number on the check. You don't need to sign it. If you DO sign it, you MUST write "For Deposit Only" or anyone can cash it.

hi all,

thanks for the tip on Charles Schwab. I think I will sign up with them because my US bank is about to up their ATM fees.

Can I ask, SteveinBsAs.....which local bank here in BA do you use to withdrawl cash via ATM? What is your withdrawl limit per transaction?

Thanks.

Steve, am I clear that in addition to a gigolo, you are self money launderer?

Lee said:
Well, I called them and they told me there was nothing they could do for me. So you lucked out I guess!

If they reversed all of the "foreign fees" over the past 2 years I have been here it would over $1000 US.

I have Citibank and I don't pay ANY ATM fees. (However, I do pay a 3% conversion fee at the end of each month.) Here's how I avoid paying fees.

I go to Citibank ATMs.

Let me know if you have any questions in the future.

I have posted this before elswhere but I will repeat it again here. I have a HSBC premier account, they charge me no ATM fees on my debit card, no commission, and their exchange rate is better than any I can get elsewhere in the UK.
They still hammer me however if I use my credit card.

I've a related question: what foreign (U.S. or U.K.) credit card offers the best deal -- most nearly accurate exchange rate, low or no surcharge -- for charges in Argentina?

'Sorry that this is a bit OT.

RWS said:
I've a related question: what foreign (U.S. or U.K.) credit card offers the best deal -- most nearly accurate exchange rate, low or no surcharge -- for charges in Argentina?

Capital One has been great. Excellent conversion rates and no fees, plus 2% in miles with the Miles card ... paying for my eventual ticket home.

Also highly recommend the Schwab Investor Checking Account. 1% interest on a checking account is amazing (my online Savings account is now done to 1.5%), plus reimbursement for all ATM fees (my bank was charging 1%). Wish I would have done this before coming to BA, but better late than never.

Reactions: RWS
RWS said:

This from The Independent today:-
'There are currently two credit cards on the market which don't charge any load fee – offered by the Post Office and Nationwide. However, Nationwide is introducing a 1 per cent fee this summer – which is much cheaper than the typical 3 per cent, but still more expensive than the Post Office. If you do use a credit card abroad, make sure you pay off the balance in full once you get your statement. That way you'll avoid being charged any interest.'

Actually the whole article might be of interest to some:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/money/...best-money-deals-when-travelling-1662099.html

Reactions: RWS
Back