Stop Paying Killer ATM Fees

I called the bank today and they claimed that they cannot waive my fee. According to the rep on the phone they can only waive this fee at an "Alliance affiliated" ATM or something like that and of course none happen to be located in Buenos Aires. I just sent a message online and I plan to call again because maybe it will be a different story if I get a different rep.

jtwells- Are you a Bank of America customer in California? The rep told me that they have a different system and different procedures.

ericdharma, I feel a kinship to you since you said you are from San Diego, my BFF lives in SD. I called my friend in California B of A and you can go to the following banks so you do not get the ATM fees - these are Global Alliance Group bank members.
Banco del Bueno Ayre, BANELCO, or EZEIZA 1 Buenos Aires.
Now of the 3 banks I am most familiar with BANELCO. So you can go in the bank and ask them if they are a member of Global Alliance Group and thus no fees will be incurred for your ATM withdrawal.
Try it and tell me if this was helpful.
Grazie

ericdharma-No, I am a Texas customer. I lived in California for a year, but always used the out of state deposit slips etc..., so my home account is still in Texas.
I looked a little more closely at my bank statement and noticed that I am now only getting charged for exactly what I withdrew. Six times since the waiver I have withdrawn 300 pesos. Each time the corresponding dollar amount has been taken from my account with NO OTHER FEES AT ALL. The three banks are Banco Provincia B Beccar AR (three separate times), Banco SANTADE, BBV BANCO FRAN, and BANCO RIO DE L. The names are exactly as they appear on my statement. These banks are in Beccar, San Isidro, and San Telmo. I assume that they are all totally separate entities. Before the waiver each time I withdrew there were fees of $5.00U$S and usually 1.90 or so U$S. Since the waiver there has been nothing taken out other than the exact amount I punched in at the ATM.
I really don't know why many other people are running into trouble. It worked for my friend first, and then me. When I called all I said was that I'm living in Argentina and keep getting huge ATM fees. A friend of mine recently recieved a fee waiver. Can I get it too? - And it happened with no questions asked.
Good luck to everyone, and don't hesitate to ask for any details that I might have left off.

Thanks a lot Grazie. The rep told me that there weren't any Global Alliance banks here. I really appreciate you calling California and getting that info. I will try one of those banks the next time that I withdraw funds.

Thanks Lee for finding out. Citibanks fees are outrageous but you can draw out $3,000 at a clip--a day I think. So if you need that much money it's a possibility. However, I also use the PNC Bank (formerly Riggs) and they don't seem to charge anything.

Hope this helps.

Well, the longer you stay here the more likely you'll get into the Argentine habit of having 1000pesos or more stuffed somewhere around the house -- in case of emergency. Emergency being the day the bank stops giving out the money (already happened to me once -- had to pay rent and bank machines decided that even though I had a huge balance, I wasn't allowed to touch any of it for 5 days).

No luck with BofA in Oregon. Seriously, those people have been giving me the runaround! So frustrating. It particularly sucks when taking out money for rent since the ATMs only allow $300 pesos at a time and I get charged US$ 5.00 for each $300 pesos. Argh. I am so done with BofA when I get back to the USA. And I use Banelco ATMs all the time and still get charged, whoever posted that...

I get charged the $5 at Banelco as well. Maybe that is another difference between California account holders and the rest. You said that they are giving you the run around. What exactly did they tell you in Oregon?

ericdharma, I am sorry that you were charged again when you made your ATM transaction with BANELCO. The time you see me, I owe you (only you) $5.00. I was just passing on information from CA BofA; I do not make gurantees but I thought it prudent to pay you, $5.00 for the apparent misinformation I was given that I had passed on to you, I will throw in a couple of red vines licorice ( I think I also have the black ones) for good measure.
Presently I am travelling so I will check on Bof A's &^%*@! information when I get back to CA.
Again my apologies to you.
Grazie

Back