Please Help! I'm Struggling With Residency Process :-(

BuenosDave

Registered
Hi everyone.....I'm in desperate need of help with the temporary residency process. I have a friend from Bolivia that helped me with some initial steps (I speak very little Spanish,) but now I'm lost. The US embassy gave me a fingerprint card and a web address for the FBI to obtain my Good Conduct Certificate for Argentina residency. They told me to mail it to the FBI from Buenos Aires? Really? It seems like there must be a better way? I don't even know where to begin or how long this is going to take? Am I better off returning to the US and getting this done there? Also, there was a website that said I need an Apostillate or something llike that? I am so lost....Please anyone that can offer advice or the steps/timeline you had it would be incredibly helpful. Thank you!

It seems like there must be a better way?
There isn't.

I don't even know where to begin
Fill out the fingerprint card, or if you're not confident about your abilities, go to your local precinct and ask nicely if they could do it for you.
or how long this is going to take?
Almost 2 months in my case

Am I better off returning to the US and getting this done there?
Not really. Also keep in mind that once you start the process, you can't go back to the US until you finish it.

Also, there was a website that said I need an Apostillate or something llike that?
Yes, it's basically just an official notarization of the document which certifies that its real, the FBI should be able to send it off to the Dept of State directly for an extra fee before sending it back to you.

There is not other way, and it can take a couple months (up to 4 sometimes) to get the report, during which you cannot travel back to the states.

Step-by-step instructions are available here on the FBI website: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/submitting-a-criminal-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi

You do need an apostille:

8. Does the FBI provide apostilles*?

(*An apostille is a certification that a document has been “legalized” or “authenticated” by the issuing agency through a process in which various seals are placed on the document.)

The CJIS Division will authenticate all U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results at the time of submission.Note: The FBI seal is no longer a raised seal. Documents authenticated by the FBI may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. (fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/faqs)

LOL calm down. You're in Argentina...not Switzerland. Things take time and most of the times things don't make sense. Do what they tell you and you'll be fine. And don't get frustrated.

LOL calm down. You're in Argentina...not Switzerland. Things take time and most of the times things don't make sense. Do what they tell you and you'll be fine. And don't get frustrated.

Do what they tell you, but realize that "they" may tell you different things at different times. Just keep doing whatever it is until you eventually become a resident. It's good preparation for life in Argentina.

It can be a bit of a pain, but certainly doable - many of us have gone through it and there are various threads on the subject.

Do you have an address in the US and family or friend who can help you? That should speed the process up.

Your first challenge will be to find a police station that will take your prints and sign off on the form. That's probably the most challenging part - after that you send the paperwork to the FBI, after 2 months or so they send you the report, you (or your family/friend) then send it to the State Department, and after about a week they send you the apostilled report. Make sure you let them know in your application to the FBI and State Dept that you need and apostillle for Argentina residency.

For this kind of things " No rush but no pause " It took us 2 years to have everything set and with a DNI for a permanent residency....good times! .... Not!

If you panic easily, get a lawyer to help you through the process. You'll need to repeat a lot of the process yearly for three years until you become permanent. So stash your documents here safely. Almost all of them will need to be apostiled, not just your FBI Check.
If you want the contact info for my lawyer who speaks English, PM me. Just about all documents from the US need to be apostiled and officially translated. Keep a checklist!

FBI RECORDS REQUEST CHECKLIST

- FINGERPRINT FORM AND INSTRUCTIONS FROM FBI WEBSITE -- LOCAL POLICE STATIONS WILL TAKE YOUR PRINTS

- APPLICANT INFORMATION FORM FROM FBI SITE

- CREDIT CARD PAYMENT FORM (TO PAY FOR RECORDS REQUEST)

FOR APOSTILLE

- REQUEST FOR AUTHENTICATIONS SERVICE (DEPT OF STATE)

- SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE

- PERSONAL CHECK FOR $8 TO DEPT OF STATE

AUTHENTICATIONS OFFICE 518 23RD ST NW SA-1 WASHINGTON DC 20520

WHEN YOU HAVE THE RECORDS REQUEST AND APOSTILLE:

- FIND A PUBLIC TRANSLATOR TO DO THE CERTIFIED TRANSLATION (170 PESOS)
(I use Ricardo Chiesa, [email protected] in Balvanera)

- TAKE THE TRANSLATED DOCUMENT TO THE COLLEGE OF TRANSLATORS FOR LEGALIZATION (80 PESOS)
on Corrientes 1834

Then you can present all documents at Migraciones.

why would you enter a game without knowing the rules?

Back