Student Visa For Arg Wife

If you are not moving to the US, then she should apply for a tourist visa, simple like that.

That's what I imagined, I figured people have already thought about trying for a student visa instead of fiancé or spouse visa, and would be frowned upon. Better to do everything correctly. Or you could fly to Mexico and cross the border and meet Michelle Obama on the other side.
or more likely some redneck vigilantes

This thread reminds me that politicians are idiots that create problems and make our lives miserable. It costs a lot of money to get permanent residency for a spouse. The US punishes its own citizens for marrying a foreigner. A friend of mine married a Peruvian widower with 4 children. They lived in Peru for several years until finally they decided they wanted to immigrate. And then repented when they found out it would cost them three thousand per head. The utter insanity of of paperwork is bogging down the citizens of the world and it makes our lives unnecessarily complicated. This post has me so annoyed that I'm seriously contemplating writing my senators and Congressman back in Texas.

This post has me so annoyed that I'm seriously contemplating writing my senators and Congressman back in Texas.

Please do. And also complain about the fact they backdated the F2A cut-off on June, bringing it back to May 2012 (it was 08 sept. 2013).

A friend of mine married a Peruvian widower with 4 children. They lived in Peru for several years until finally they decided they wanted to immigrate. And then repented when they found out it would cost them three thousand per head.
This post has me so annoyed that I'm seriously contemplating writing my senators and Congressman back in Texas.

Three thousand per head is absurd. Current fee for an I-130 petition: $420 (must pay fee for each beneficiary). Current affidavit of support fee: $88 (only one payment even if there are multiple applicants on the case). Current immigrant visa fee: $230 (every applicant must pay).

Your friend would currently be looking at paying $3,338 TOTAL in fees to bring his wife and her four children to the U.S. That's works out to $667.60 per person. (Mailing packages, getting necessary documents, medical exams, plane tickets, etc. will obviously add to the cost.) There are more than enough frustrating things to deal with during this process, but paying $3000 per person is not one of them. Too bad your friend was misinformed. If he was looking into this a while ago, it probably cost even less than what it does now. The fees go up, not down.

Congressmen can inquire about cases in progress that are delayed to the point that they exceed normal processing times on behalf of their constituents. That can speed things along. But hey, you want to change the way things work, so go ahead and write them about your friend and his mythical $3000 per immigrant fee and some thread on an internet forum annoyed you. I'm sure that will be a very productive exercise.

Three thousand per head is absurd. Current fee for an I-130 petition: $420 (must pay fee for each beneficiary). Current affidavit of support fee: $88 (only one payment even if there are multiple applicants on the case). Current immigrant visa fee: $230 (every applicant must pay).

Your friend would currently be looking at paying $3,338 TOTAL in fees to bring his wife and her four children to the U.S. That's works out to $667.60 per person. (Mailing packages, getting necessary documents, medical exams, plane tickets, etc. will obviously add to the cost.) There are more than enough frustrating things to deal with during this process, but paying $3000 per person is not one of them. Too bad your friend was misinformed. If he was looking into this a while ago, it probably cost even less than what it does now. The fees go up, not down.

What about form I-485 (985 + 85 biometric fee) and I-485 Supplement A (1000). Each of those would be per person.

Back