Student visa towards permanent residency

Sterling0457

Registered
Hello guys...I am new to this forum and would like to ask you guys some questions regarding student visa leading to permanent residency.

1)Does a student visa really count towards permanent residency? I think I read it somewhere that a student visa does not count towards residency. However, on Argentina.gov.ar, you can apply for temporary residency under "estudiante". Therefore, it is a bit contradicting.

2)I am planning to enroll in a university for a Título intermedio for 3 years. Does anyone know how a student visa works in Argentina? I mean, does the student visa come with a grace period, that after the completion of my studies, I will be given a grace period of 1 or 2 months to look for a job? Or will the student visa become invalid upon completion of my studies.

3)What is the actual validity of a student visa? There are posts on the Internet saying that a student visa is only valid for 6 months. However, on cancilleria.gov.ar, it does give out a student visa that is valid for +365 days.

4)It is a tough one for this question, but it would not hurt to ask. Haha. What is the percentage of being granted a permanent residency after holding a temporary residency for 3 years? Because on Argentina.gov.ar, for nationals who are non-Mercosur, one can apply for PR after having a temporary residency for at least 3 years.

5)Has anyone even succeeded getting the PR with the same path?

Thanks a million. :)

1. As far as I know, a student visa granting temporary residency cannot be renewed and therefore it can't be upgraded to permanent on the third renewal.

2. If you want to know more about how a student visa works, enter the words student visa in the search box and search titles only.

You can work with a student visa while you are a student and have a DNI. There is no grace period after it expires.

Keep in mind that the DNI doesn't expire at the same time your temporary residency expires. You won't be working legally after that.

(If you apply for a new student visa in following years, I´m fairly certain you will have the same DNI number.)

3. As far as I know, the student visa is good for the term of study and never more than one year, but I am not absolutely sure.

4. The chance of getting permanent residency on the third renewal of temporary residency are very good, but I don't think anyone here ever tried to get permanent residency after having a student visa for three years (at what would be the beginning of their fourth consecutive year as a student).

5. See answer number four.

You can work with a student visa while you are a student and have a DNI. There is no grace period after it expires.
If you continue to work for a company after your student visa expires, I believe they would have to "sponsor" you for a work visa.

If they don't, they could be subject to some hefty fines.

If you actually got a work visa, I believe you could apply for permanent resdieny at thee third renewal.

Even with a student visa, you might be able to apply for citizenship after you've had a DNI and residency in Argentina for two years, but I don't know of anyone who has done so. You should ask a lawyer about that if you're interested.

There is only one lawyer I know of who takes on citizenship case for those who don't even have a DNI and otherwise don't "fit the formula" for citizenship.

He posts frequently and may comment soon...

Citizenship is always an easier alternative to the legal reaidency.

1. As far as I know, a student visa granting temporary residency cannot be renewed and therefore it can't be upgraded to permanent on the third renewal.

2. If you want to know more about how a student visa works, enter the words student visa in the search box and search titles only.

Keep in mind that the DNI doesn't expire at the same time your temporary residency expires. You won't be working legally after that.

(If you apply for a new student visa in following years, I´m fairly certain you will have the same DNI number.)

3. As far as I know, the student visa is good for the term of study and never more than one year, but I am not absolutely sure.

4. The chance of getting permanent residency on the third renewal of temporary residency are very good, but I don't think anyone here ever tried to get permanent residency after having a student visa for three years (at what would be the beginning of their fourth consecutive year as a student).

5. See answer number four.

Thx for the reply. All is crystal-clear except when you said "it can't be upgraded to permanent" in the reply to the first question. Does it mean that on the third renewal, the temporary residency won't be converted to a permanent one automatically, but one can apply for it along with valid documents proving that he/she has been residing in Argentina at least for 3 years?

If you continue to work for a company after your student visa expires, I believe they would have to "sponsor" you for a work visa.

If they don't, they could be subject to some hefty fines.

If you actually got a work visa, I believe you could apply for permanent resdieny at thee third renewal.

Even with a student visa, you might be able to apply for citizenship after you've had a DNI and residency in Argentina for two years, but I don't know of anyone who has done so. You should ask a lawyer about that if you're interested.

There is only one lawyer I know of who takes on citizenship case for those who don't even have a DNI and otherwise don't "fit the formula" for citizenship.

He posts frequently and may comment soon...
Hope he will comment soon :)

Citizenship is always an easier alternative to the legal reaidency.
Wouldn't mind getting that. However, i think it will be very costly, isn't it? In comparison, if a student visa could work, it is more economical personally for me. :)

Wouldn't mind getting that. However, i think it will be very costly, isn't it? In comparison, if a student visa could work, it is more economical personally for me. :)
The procedure is for free and, if you apply with your student legal residency, you don't need for a lawyer.

The procedure is for free and, if you apply with your student legal residency, you don't need for a lawyer.
Really? that sounds easy...where can i find the procedure and requirements? I always thought that the steps should be student visa - temp residency - permanent residency - citizenship.

Back