Study A Master's Degree In Ba As A Foreigner

namanh

Registered
Hello, lately I've started to look for ways to have a new life in South America. I am one Asian guy and I barely know Spanish at present. I want to take a master's degree as the first step of my plan. It would be great if any of you can provide me some information regarding the below questions, before I start to learn Spanish seriously:

1. Is there any available courses taught in English in Buenos Aires? If so, how much does it cost and is there any opportunities for scholarships? (I want to study International Business or equivalent courses)

2. If there are only Spanish courses available:
Which school should I consider, since I most people here say that UBA would take too much time and effort to finish, though I still prefer this school (For private schools, my budget is pretty tight). I hope that my hard-working character and my willingness to move here would help me to complete all of this.

3. If I choose UBA, what should I prepare from now on, besides language skills?
- Tuition fee: master's degree there would cost some money, but I believe it's pretty low, do you know how much is that?
- Application procedure: is there any extra documents need to be submitted, such as a Spanish language test, GMAT, etc?
- Is there any chance to be accepted since I graduated from a national university (which has no name or reputation internationally)

Thank you very much, I would love to hear positive opinions.

Not sure they offer a program entirely in English, but expect to pay through the nose.

http://www.utdt.edu/ver_contenido.php?id_contenido=1346&id_item_menu=2876

In a public university, you will be looking at entirely Spanish. The good thing (maybe?) is that they seemed to do away with entrance exams if you've graduated high school (truly I don't know how that would affect foreigners, or if that is only for national high schools that they are waiving entrance exams - it's a new law that hasn't been discussed much - many laws passed here related to education and services don't seem to exclude foreigners but this may be different). Used to be that you had to pass the entrance exams in a public university, which will be in Spanish.

Places like UTDT or UADE are private schools. I can't speak for UTDT, but I have a girl at UADE. According to her, you can have all classes in English - there are a huge number of foreigners who don't speak a word of Spanish but speak English and go there for that reason.

But like RichardP says, you'll pay through the nose (relatively speaking). Our girl's in International Business (Negocios Globales) in the undergraduate program, which is costing us around $7K pesos a month, or around $460 USD (at current blue exchange rate) for 5 classes a semester. Of course, that's a better price than any university I know of in the States, which is why I say the cost is relative. She's also in one of the most expensive programs at UADE (and UADE is an expensive school here). How much you pay depends on the program you're in and how many classes a semester you take.

As far as I know, they will accept transfers from other accredited universities - I don't believe it has to be a well-known university. If they can at all accept you, they will be happy to take your money.

At UBA, you have to realize that things are likely to be taught according to how Argentinos see business and how it relates to them on an international scale. The professors at UADE are often very, very critical about how business is taught and done in Argentina, including comments about UBA. I honestly don't know how much of that is the absolute truth though, nor how it might affect how others outside of Argentina look at your masters degree.

UADE sucks!!

High school style university of spoiled kids. I know professors who were asked to pass some students only because they pay. Expect things like that.

UTDT is good and very prestigious.

In a public university, you will be looking at entirely Spanish. The good thing (maybe?) is that they seemed to do away with entrance exams if you've graduated high school (truly I don't know how that would affect foreigners, or if that is only for national high schools that they are waiving entrance exams - it's a new law that hasn't been discussed much - many laws passed here related to education and services don't seem to exclude foreigners but this may be different). Used to be that you had to pass the entrance exams in a public university, which will be in Spanish.

Places like UTDT or UADE are private schools. I can't speak for UTDT, but I have a girl at UADE. According to her, you can have all classes in English - there are a huge number of foreigners who don't speak a word of Spanish but speak English and go there for that reason.

But like RichardP says, you'll pay through the nose (relatively speaking). Our girl's in International Business (Negocios Globales) in the undergraduate program, which is costing us around $7K pesos a month, or around $460 USD (at current blue exchange rate) for 5 classes a semester. Of course, that's a better price than any university I know of in the States, which is why I say the cost is relative. She's also in one of the most expensive programs at UADE (and UADE is an expensive school here). How much you pay depends on the program you're in and how many classes a semester you take.

As far as I know, they will accept transfers from other accredited universities - I don't believe it has to be a well-known university. If they can at all accept you, they will be happy to take your money.

At UBA, you have to realize that things are likely to be taught according to how Argentinos see business and how it relates to them on an international scale. The professors at UADE are often very, very critical about how business is taught and done in Argentina, including comments about UBA. I honestly don't know how much of that is the absolute truth though, nor how it might affect how others outside of Argentina look at your masters degree.

Thank you ElQueso, for the detailed information. I'll look around a little more and contact some schools directly to see how it goes. I must say the tuition fee here even at private schools is good and affordable, compared to other education-famous countries!

If you are looking to do an MBA I believe the IAE has at least some of it in English and possibly di Tella does as well.

If you are looking to do something else other than business, you better start studying your Spanish now! Good luck!

Besides, its all about the numbers (great evidence there El Queso) ;).

UADE its expensive and with UBA you have quality education for free!!

Interesting; I'm toying with the idea of returning to my - derailed ( in favour of other less laborious degree :p ... mia culpa ) - M.Arch. As a matured, permanent resident what considerations and school is best suited?
(sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread, but perhaps it's related in some way)

1.. does mature student have different requirements?
2.. according to young architects I know in BA; the curriculum here is more engineering than art. does anyone know about this aspect?

If you are looking to do an MBA I believe the IAE has at least some of it in English and possibly di Tella does as well.

If you are looking to do something else other than business, you better start studying your Spanish now! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely start learning Spanish now :)

Back