Study: Countries With Best/worst Eating Habits In The World

A healthy diet may do many positive things, but sadly it offers little protection against malaria, dysentery, HIV and violent death.

Exactly. So in other words this whole list is a pointless exercise just like the lists about "happiest countries in the world" or "countries with highest perceived corruption".

Healthiest diets in the poorest countries in the world(except Israel) almost no supermarkets and no processed food!
and worst in all former Soviet block countries except Belgium and Argie! Im shocked the USA isn't there! Belgium surprises me Argie amd Czech no!
Here people consume salt and soft drinks like there is no tomorrow! I am shocked when I see how people here buy in huge quantities sugar containing or sugar-free drinks!
The only one I buy is Tonic water because you can't have a gin and tonic with tonic! And I hate that I buy it!
But it is filled with JMAF or glucose syrup, the worst kind.
In the Czech Republic, the beer is healthy but almost all else isn't...fried food, aminal fat galore(people spread "sadlo" or pork fat on bread and eat it like that.) fatty meats, and SALT!!!!
Bon appetit!

Please go back and edit your post to include more exclamation points, you forgot to include one at the end of one of your sentences. :S

Average lifespan in really healthy countries like - Chad: 50 years, Sierra Leone: 45 years, Mali: 54 years, Gambia: 58 years, Uganda: 58 years, Ghana: 60 years, Ivory Coast: 50 years, Senegal: 63 years, Israel: 81.70 years, 54 years.

Average lifespan in unhealthy countries like - Armenia: 74 years, Hungary: 75 years, Belgium: 80 years, Czech Republic: 78 years, Kazakhstan: 69 years, Belarus: 72 years, Argentina: 76 year, Turkmenistan: 65 years, Mongolia: 67 years, Slovakia: 76 years.

Apart from Israel, folks seem to be mysteriously dying early in all these "healthy eating" countries. I think I'm going to pass on whatever diet they've got going on and stick with my meat, fat and bread because it seems like the writer of this article thinks dying early is the same as being healthy.

The authors of the original study (freely available in the original format) explain the contextual correlations you are questioning. Life expectancy is a compound statistical measure that is not only related to dietary intake, therefore, looking at dietary intake and life expectancy side by side, as you suggest in making choices about what you eat, while excluding other factors, is misinterpreting the science.

Well so much grain wasted in Argentina. Silo bolsa with grains destroyed by vandals. To promote sales of stored grains.

0012243540.jpg

Please go back and edit your post to include more exclamation points, you forgot to include one at the end of one of your sentences. :S

Nothing wrong in using as many "exclamation point". It puts more emphasis on anything, Argentina is democratic country so be it..
estevandepraga puede hacer lo que quiera, esta en su pais!

Exactly. So in other words this whole list is a pointless exercise just like the lists about "happiest countries in the world" or "countries with highest perceived corruption".

I would say that it is quite valuable given the robust study design, as the results can be used to guide policy and health economics. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm surprised that nothing was said about the time of day that the residents eat. Most "people in the know" (I hate the word "experts") say that one shouldn't eat for several hours before bedtime. Also, a large breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner are recommended. Maybe, this advise doesn't apply to those living in Argentina and Spain?
Where I live in Recoleta (southern part), I can walk to al least 13 produce stores, most of which were open in the last 2 years.

Bon appetit.

Out of curiosity, why do you 'hate the word "experts"..'?

As usual someone picks what they think is a 'healthy' diet then tries to define the world by it. I notice this article still has problems with sodium and cholesterol, things we are now hearing they have been wrong about all these years. Worse they ignore ethnic variations making this a world wide study, go ahead tell the Inuit they should eat more grains and veggies.

Where in the article did you note that ' someone picks what they think is a 'healthy' diet' and more so, that someone tries to '...define the world by it'?

Healthy was defined in the study as a scale with tendencies, meaning some combination of '... fruits, vegetables, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, whole grains, milk, total polyunsaturated fatty acids, fish, plant omega-3s, and dietary fibre...'.

Anything on the list you would disagree with as being 'healthy'?

I call into question the fact that many of these 'healthy eating' countries have an astounding amount of poverty and malnutrition. Eating 3 beans a week provided by foreign aid isn't "healthy"... as healthy as beans may be.

Take Sierra Leone for one...

46 percent of child deaths in Sierra Leone are attributed to malnutrition, the leading cause of child mortality in the country, and 267 out of every 1,000 children die before their fifth birthday.

Back