Study: Which Nationality Is Most Likely To Steal From Hotels

Nancy, when you and Tom were in Cuba, did you have things stolen from your room? That has happened to us in San Francisco (Hotel Miyako) and Chicago (Ambassador East), from a locked suitcase. No safe available in either room, and I would guess that Cuba's hotels don't provide safes either. I understand Cuba isn't high on your "return soon" list --
One time, either the maid or the air conditioner repair man emptied Tom's pockets and opened my suitcase (luckily didn't find what he wanted). There was no safe in that room, however our friends returned to their room while the maid was cleaning to find the safe opened. Nothing was missing, but other people with them came back to open safes with money missing. This was at the Park Central, a major hotel in Havana. They were compensated by management.
No, Cuba is not on the list to go back. We did have a good time but hard travel. We were on our own. I'm sure it's easier if you go with a group, but that's not what we do.
Nancy

I worked in a 5***** hotel in Chicago years ago as concierge when I lived in the USA. We had people try to steal tvs, sheets, pictures, furniture, etc and they were all white Americans! I will admit I have been tempted by the occasional very plush towel but the only thing which finds its way into my suitcase are the good qualities toiletries which are yours anyway!

I have mixed feeling toward tipping - it makes any job looks like a high school job and not a real occupation. What would you feel if you were to live on tipping? I'd probably feel like charity. A job should support a person, not just be a mean to give him/her access to tipping clients.
Nonetheless, I do leave a tip when the local culture requires to do so.

Recently Oakland restaurants have raised prices to include service, eliminating the pressure to tip. One upscale restaurant I know has since lost a large part of its waitstaff, who preferred getting tips rather than raising everyone's wages.

Back