Stupidity at Ezeiza

steveinbsas said:
The answer is obvious: They need to shave and (based on your user name) you need to shower.:p

If you discovered this after you entered Argentina at EZE I'm curious how anyone at EZE could have done this. Don't the bags come straight off the plane and into the baggage claim area?

Isn't it possible the theft happened in the airport of your departure city when airline personnel and customs inspectors have much greater access and more time to pilfer?

Have you seen how hairy some of these Argentines are?? I'm not sure about you're "they need to shave" theory ;-) as a matter of fact I would have thought a razor kit and pair of sheers would be the safest thing to bring into the country. (man i kill me..haha)

You should have contacted the airline and sued them for pilferage. I worked for a big airline for 7 years and it happens quite often that passengers report something gone missing from their bags once at destination. On my last trip from Miami to Brasil I had placed my 6-year-old flip flops in one of the external pockets of my backpack, when I landed in Brasil I noticed that they had gone missing: I reported that straightaway to the airline's lost and found service and after 1 month I got a 15-dollar-reimbursement. The only thing is that you need to report these things as soon as you find out that something has been taken from your bag, otherwise the airline cannot be held responsible.

The other thing to do, which I'll certainly be doing when I head back to BA on Tuesday, is get your suitcases wrapped in a nice thick layer of polythene at your departure airport, prior to check-in. The people who do it will most likely give you a receipt and some form of 'guarantee'. It costs bugger all and certainly provides a deterrent to any unscrupulous baggage handlers who might just want to get in and out of a case quickly if they can, but are unlikely to be into the idea of putting too much effort in.

It's a Britishism meaning 'not very much'. It was about AR$50 at Ezeiza when I came back to England in December. At Heathrow they tend to charge £5 or £6 per case.

Gaucho Sam said:
It's a Britishism meaning 'not very much'.

Oh, that's too bad.

I was hoping to use the bugger barter system to get my bags wrapped.:p

Sorry to disappoint! I suppose at least if you found someone who was going to accept that as payment, there'd be no excuse for not being well protected (cellophane... wrappers... oh never mind, I'll get my coat)...

dirtyauzzie said:
I discovered it at home as I just had my bag delivered after it being sat in Eze for the day as it had previously gone missing.

But you are right, im presuming eze and it could have happened at the departure airport. After seeing a documentary on TV here a few years ago about the mafia i just tend to assume its them.

Apologies to all at EZE if you stand falsely accused.

I think "understandable prejudice at EZE" would make a good thread title.

I appreciate your integrity. Yes, it could have happened anywhere, but "It could have happened anywhere" against "in EZE happens all the time" (add to that the strong impression a documentary can make)... Know the say "Give a dog a bad name and hang him"? I can't blame you if EZE's your "primary subject". Even if people at EZE began doing their homework and things changed, changing their reputation would take ages. In my own empirical personal experience, people may or may not remember the good, but NEVER forget the bad. Human behavior I guess.

I have travelled into Eze eleven times now and out the same number. Only once have I had anything openend or damaged, and that was because I was foolish enough to travel via the US.
In Chicargo they opened my bags and tore open all my Christmas presents, I know it was there as they left me a note saying Customs had checked my bags.
Whether they thought there was something valuable or they were just jealous thaat they did not have presents, I do not know. I only know that as we were on a plane to Argentina, nothing in that bag was going state side unless they took it.
You can wrap it in plastic, tie belts around it, even buy the best locks money will buy, it will not stop US customs opening your bag.

Back