Subte linea D / Monthly expenses

Lclc23

Registered
Am considering a job a few blocks away from the jardin botanico/subte linea d. Besides Palermo, which areas would be convenient for me to live? Would prefer to not have to have lots of train connections ao something along linea d would be great

Also, can someone give me an idea of monthly expenses (public transport, cabs, phone, etc)? Would $1000usd a month be enough for groceries, going out occasionally, occasional cabs, phone Sim card (no data, just texts/calls), all other expenses besides rent?

^this would only be a temp job fwiw, 3 months max, if that effects monthly budget

You will be able to survive, with limited partying with this amount of money. You will need to be frugal.

garygrunson said:
You will be able to survive, with limited partying with this amount of money. You will need to be frugal.

I would think that you wouldn't have a problem getting by spending OVER AR$1,000/week. If you're taking a "temp job", then you probably aren't in the world of AR$500 dinners once a week and AR$75-AR$200 dinners other nights. You probably won't be going to more than one boliche a night and you might be able to handle not dropping AR$300 at the club when you do.

You can live WELL for a young person (I'm assuming you're young) on US$1,000/mo as long as you don't have a shopping and/or drug addiction.

Now if you are supporting someone else and she doesn't like to cook and doesn't like you to cook, you could be in trouble.

Yes, $1000usd (not including rent) is plenty based on my experience the last couple months. You can eat out several times a week on that budget and can definitely pay for an occasional cab. If you prefer mixed drinks and going to clubs frequently, you may find your expenses to be higher.

I second Gary's comment. Prices are comparable to the US, only they continue to increase frequently. We Go out, on average, once a week and spend about US$1100 pp a month on food, entertainment and transportation (which includes daily round trip for work).

US$1,000 a month including rent can get you by without going out and partying.

If you look around you can get pretty good deals on apartments. I have just moved into a studio (35sqm) in plaza güemes on a 3 months contract - its US$500 per month including internet/cable tv/power/gas/local phone calls.
Shop around, it took me 2 1/2 weeks to find the place, and landlords are asking, or trying to ask crazy prices now. However there is alot out there to rent and tourist numbers are dropping, or at least not staying in BSAS as long.

I spend around US$75 a week on food, and probably another US$50 a month on clean products etc. However i dont eat alot biscuits/cakes/sweets etc.

The going out now is the killer for me, just going for a couple of beers and there is 100 peso gone.

Davonz- where did you find your apartment? Any sites you can recommend?

Napoleon said:
I would think that you wouldn't have a problem getting by spending OVER AR$1,000/week. If you're taking a "temp job", then you probably aren't in the world of AR$500 dinners once a week and AR$75-AR$200 dinners other nights. You probably won't be going to more than one boliche a night and you might be able to handle not dropping AR$300 at the club when you do.

You can live WELL for a young person (I'm assuming you're young) on US$1,000/mo as long as you don't have a shopping and/or drug addiction.

Now if you are supporting someone else and she doesn't like to cook and doesn't like you to cook, you could be in trouble.

The shopping addiction may be a problem. Hopefully I got it all out of my system on my last trip after getting back to the states and realizing all I bought was pure crap :p

As a summary of others posts,

If the $1000 USD includes rent, you can do it but it would be hard.

If it doesn't include rent (which I think is your situation), you will be able to live no problem.

Back