Subway fares go up 127% percent tomorrow

I have to say, there may be a lot of bureaucracy in this city, but they do some things incredibly quickly.

- Change daylight savings time here: 5 days before. In the US, it took Congress years to make a change. (of course here it screwed up all the computers and cell phones, but who cares about that) (done a couple of years ago)
- Change subway fares - less than one week after transferring it.
- Increase ABL rate
- Eliminate subsidies on gas and electric

All done very quickly... And of course all these recent changes very close to the election so that in 4 years people can forget all about these increases and vote the Kichneristas back in.

Sleuth said:
All done very quickly... And of course all these recent changes very close to the election so that in 4 years people can forget all about these increases and vote the Kichneristas back in.

The only problem is that Macri and his mob aren't Kichernistas (sic) or UltraKichernistas (sic, sic) if you quote La Nazion or Clarin.

During the last subte increase years ago, I noticed that I could still use old tickets after the increase had taken effect, so, apparently the ticket readers and at least the paper tickets work on a boolean system, one tic for each ride... it doesn't evaluate HOW MUCH you spent on the ticket.;)

Don't know if it's worth buying a few hundred pesos worth of tickets to last you a while, but it would sure save a lot of money.

This is pure speculation based on the experience I had during the last increase.

Lucas said:
The only problem is that Macri and his mob aren't Kichernistas (sic) or UltraKichernistas (sic, sic) if you quote La Nazion or Clarin.

He's referring to the national government cutting subsidies and then blaming the local governments for not picking up the tabs. Some might blame Macri for this, especially if it's done 3 1/2 years before an election, but many-to-most would blame the sitting president(a) and the party in power in congress if it were done in an election year.

ESPECIALLY if after making these cuts they continue building luxury hotels, wearing haute couture, and traveling with an entourage that would make Madonna jealous.

It seems that my plan to avoid loss of your savings would be better spent, instead of banking or other investments, should be to buy fichas, or cards as they are now, for the subte. This seems to keep up with inflation.

captainmcd said:
It seems that my plan to avoid loss of your savings would be better spent, instead of banking or other investments, should be to buy fichas, or cards as they are now, for the subte. This seems to keep up with inflation.
Too slow captain, it's already happening as we speak, this city people always are in red alert mood when an opportunity arises into making a fast effortless buck. Very entrepreneurial people I must admit :D

As I understand, people were limited to buying two 10-ride cards each today. I assume you could always just go back and stand in (the verrrry long) line again to buy more...
I'm just glad I have 8 rides left and 7 days left in Buenos Aires!

Lucas said:

The Subway was transferred to the city by the federal government. The city wanted to delay it to better plan for it, but the federal government refused. Hence, the are hikes. Not to mention the end of subsidies, the nationalization of newsprint, the terrorism bill that could jail people for protesting, and on and on...

MizzMarr said:
As I understand, people were limited to buying two 10-ride cards each today. I assume you could always just go back and stand in (the verrrry long) line again to buy more...
I'm just glad I have 8 rides left and 7 days left in Buenos Aires!

According to that article I posted, the 10 ride cards only work until the 12th, and then the full fare price will be deducted from the card.
EDIT: the paper cards work indefinitely, which is why they are limiting the sale.

Back