Subway fares go up 127% percent tomorrow

Taking the subte now, gonna buy some 10 trip tickets if there isn't a huge line (predicting that there will be)

what wave said:
Anyone know where the difference is going?
Just back into the system I assume. They're transferring financial responsibility for the subsidies from the national gov. to the city gov. A rate increase is long over due and now that the elections are over, they can do it.

Sleuth said:
The 10 trip tickets are only valid at that price until January 12. (SUBE/Monedero)
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1437993-...el-subte-para-los-usuarios-de-sube-y-monedero (spanish)

It's almost like they anticipated this move!! :mad:

I can only assume that the buses are soon to follow. And they should. Mass transit has been so ridiculously cheap here, it almost hasn't entered into a budget. This is understandable in a town like Amsterdam that's about as big as all of Palermo and where everyone has a bicycle. But in a city as spread out as BA...

...we've been living in the halcyon days my friends. :eek:

Lucas said:
For sure to Macri's and his gang pockets.

I was worried that you would miss out on this thread.

REAL ANSWER:

The National Government has said that they are ending funding (or at least funding on the same level) of the subtes and that the city (a.k.a. Macri) should pick up the slack... "para todos".

Of course the city can't pick up that slack, so they have said "F*** that noise!" (as my father would say)

Is some money going to go to Macri's pocket? Maybe. Is some going to go towards the "friends of Macri" who are probably the ones extending the current system? Almost definitely. Is this fare increase going to make for a more comfortable subte experience because not as many people will be taking it every day? HOPEFULLY!!!

The subte extensions would be even further along if Cristina hadn't spent most of 2008 stalling the obra in order to thwart Macri from being able to successfully point to the number of new kilometers of subte track as proof that he can make good on his campaign promises. And it worked. Bully for her! Although the dolor en el culo was unfortunately delivered para todos.

Back