sugar, oh lordy, lordy

sharoneag

Registered
hi there. here for a couple months with my porteno hubby to be and my near 1 year old and am kinda shocked by how freely sugar is given to kids. now i'm no health nut and sugar is not entirely the enemy, but sugar is in most if not all juices here, kids eat cookies for breakfast, and it's near impossible to find yogurt, cereals like cheerios, or kid snacks without sugar. (or a minimal amount like a gram or two)
waiters and family offer/hand my baby cookies all the time. now certainly it's out of kindness and i thank them and sneak it into my purse but it's a bit much. (i also wouldnt give anything to a baby or child without asking the mother first but here...) yesterday i thought the waiter was being funny and pouring me 'a taste' of my diet coke as he was filling my glass but he was actually pouring a small amount to give to my baby! that wasn't as easy to brush off. diet coke?? c'mon. my future father in law even offered my son a teaspoon of sugar!!
am i crazy? am i wrong to want my child to grow up to make healthy food choices like fruits and veggies? he doesn't know to desire cookies and soda at this age so why should i give him those things. and why is ok here? i heard that diabetes is out of control here. anyone else ever get discouraged by this?
phew. i feel better. :) thanks for listening.

everybody here is a complete and total sugar junkie. dulce de leche is the only mother's milk there is. i am sure you are right about diabetes. also, have you noticed how obese many people are (and many of them young)? i personally don't like dulce de leche and alfajores, but saying that out loud here is blasphemy....

I thought that you were going to report about a drunken night at Sugar (bar).

Yes, the bottle of Coca-Cola that a 2 1/2 year old sucks on rather than a bottle of milk always shocks me. It's just... wow.

Don´t say out loud that you don´t like dulce de leche because people can burn you like witches in the past hahah; but you are right sharoneag, it´s hard to find healthy snacks or you can but only in big stores..

I was given D de L before I left the hospital.
Giving It to newborns is like an Argentine baptism.
I told the nurses I wanted Chimichurri, they did not listen.

spravne said:
Don´t say out loud that you don´t like dulce de leche because people can burn you like witches in the past hahah; but you are right sharoneag, it´s hard to find healthy snacks or you can but only in big stores..

I went with my ex up to Colon in Entre Rios. A girl who lives in her building came with us and then we all went to that girl's brother's apartment for drinks/dessert. There were 5 of us. 4 Argentines & a yanqui.

It started at the heladeria (ice cream store) where we got a kilo of ice cream (for a fraction of the price of BsAs) and were allowed to pick 4 flavors. I asked for "two that do NOT have Dulce de Leche in them". Not all 4, just half. I thought that that was somewhat fair.

Wow! Problems! "Why don't you want DDL?"

"I don't mind it, I just thought that maybe we could get two flavors WITHOUT DDL."

Ice cream worker- "Why doesn't he like DDL?"

Yanqui (yo)- "Me gusta DDL, pero no necesito comerlo cada vez que como helado."

Big eyes are exchanged between the ice cream worker and my ex.

THEN... we went back to the apartment to have ice cream. For at least 5 minutes we had to discuss the fact that I would want 2 flavors that did NOT have DDL.

I'm thinking that my mala onda was working overtime that night. Maybe more than overtime. My god. It was like I chose NOT to put 300 grams of salt on my papas fritas before ever even tasting them or something.

Que horror!
(I think that that's French, pero bueno.)

It was like I was attending a Fish Fry in the Deep South and had chosen to torch Old Glory just for the fun of it.

BE WARNED!!

No different in the States. Literally saw a kid in shopping cart (maybe like 3 or 4) guzzling a 1 liter bottle of Coke.

Plus, have you been to the school vending machine. Most kids get their sugar these days as liquid yummy HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). "HFCS the American Way!" (I am pretty sure that was a marketing slogan.)

Do you think you would see anything different in the U.S. once you were 100 miles away from a Trader Joe's/Whole Foods?

Napoleon said:
It was like I was attending a Fish Fry in the Deep South and had chosen to torch Old Glory just for the fun of it.

A&A said:
In certain places down there it might be welcome....

Hey now...

OK, let's change it to...

"It was like I was attending a Fish Fry in the Deep South and had asked someone NOT to put a free 'I Support Our Troops' yellow ribbon sticker on my car."

ok, i say it out loud: i hate dulce de leche and i can't stand alfajores!! but with my argentine friends i'm in, uh, sheeps clothing....(or is it goat??)...

Back