suitcases to the US

TravelinTeacher

Registered
My time living in BA is quickly coming to an end (2 weeks) and I am looking for a reliable yet "cheap" way to send my 2 suitcases back to the US (Pennsylvania) as I plan to spend the next 2 months or so traveling around other parts of South America. And since I won't be needed them for a bit, speed is not a factor. If you have any experience or advice with shipping, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much in advance.
D

just a quick addition-
i am traveling up north to peru and possibly ecuador, and will not be returning to BA before heading home to the US. So unfortunately, storage is not an option.

I'd try asking someone traveling to the US with no luggage to carry the bags, in exchange for a contribution towards the cost of the ticket.

SaraSara said:
I'd try asking someone traveling to the US with no luggage to carry the bags, in exchange for a contribution towards the cost of the ticket.

At the risk of again being called alarmist or a conspiricy theorist. taking luggage for soemone else is just about the most stupid thing you can do. The third worlds gaols are full of well meaning and in love people who carried some ones luggage only to be pulled by customs or drug enforcement people. And it is not for good reason that airline staff always ask if you packed the bags yourself, there could be a bomb in it.
The op may well be the nicest most honest guy in the world (and I would not want to suggest otherwise), but how would you know, the best con men have the freindliest faces.
Sorry TT I mean you nothing personal.

Anyone carrying someone else's suitcases should open and repack them him/herself. Should have said that in my other post. Never carry packages without checking them first.

Having said that, I belong to a small, tight-knit Uruguay forum. We routinely carry things for one another, and no one has been burned. So far...!

Check with moving companies, such as Transpack and Universal. They might have some ideas. You may have to leave them at a friend´s house and pick them up before you head to EEUU. Have you thought of having a garage sale? I guess that UPS and the like would charge more that the value of the goods.

There is no cheap way. The best thing to do is store them while you travel and then fly with them yourself. Although you will be charged extra bag fees as well as overage fees if the bag exceeds 22 kilos, it's still far cheaper than any other option.

There was a post not too long ago by a couple who offer storage services, fyi.

SaraSara said:
Anyone carrying someone else's suitcases should open and repack them him/herself. Should have said that in my other post. Never carry packages without checking them first.
It went without saying.

tangobob said:
At the risk of again being called alarmist or a conspiricy theorist. taking luggage for soemone else is just about the most stupid thing you can do. The third worlds gaols are full of well meaning and in love people who carried some ones luggage only to be pulled by customs or drug enforcement people. And it is not for good reason that airline staff always ask if you packed the bags yourself, there could be a bomb in it.
The op may well be the nicest most honest guy in the world (and I would not want to suggest otherwise), but how would you know, the best con men have the freindliest faces.
Sorry TT I mean you nothing personal.

I certainly didn't agree with you on the thread about bring Syn's dress. But in this case I certainly do. It would be very difficult to find anyone willing to take someone else suit case with them.

TT: As was said above, store your suitcases then pick them up on your way home. Most other options are not cheap.

Thanks for the advice, but since i am headed north into Bolivia, Peru, and possibly Ecuador, I will not be not be returning to BA before flying back to the US. So storing them here is not an option. It is ship them or leave them...

Back