Arriving With Lots Of Suitcases Ok?

arielm

Registered
hi friends,
any recent input on getting through customs with lots of suitcases? we are not planning on bringing anything valuable, but just a lot of stuff. we're coming for almost a year with 2 young kids and i have tons of toys, clothes, etc. that i want to bring. My husband, who's an Argentine citizen is telling me to not bring so much - for example, he thought that bringing a favorite sheet is absurd. THOUGHTS?
THANK YOU!

No problem with customs regarding the amount of luggage you have. We are two and we had 8 bags pass through while our customs agent checked her text messages.

Well, I just went through that myself (flying alone). I had 4 pieces of luggage and carry on items (no sheets, just shoes and clothes). I sure raised an eyebrow or two. I have a customs agent come to me and ask me what was the deal. I told him it was going to be a long trip, he made me open one bag... asked me if it was all used, if I was bringing anything new, or electronics. I had nothing to hide so he didn't sense any nervousness and he told me I was free to go. If you want your favorite sheets, bring them along, just be prepared to pay for the fees and be prepared to answer questions.

I have heard that if you are an Argentine citizen you will be put under a microsope but if North American (most times) just get waved through...particularly if you have children. Suggest you appear to be as North American as possible, grab a baggage handler at baggage claim and don't speak anything but elementary Spanish. Oh, and remove any price tags. Good luck!

Came down with wife and 2 kids late last year for a 2-year stay. Prudent wife insisted we bring as many suitcases as the airlines would allow, to tide us over until our household goods arrived. Can't believe that I was reluctant. If it's important to have at once, and not likely to be available in this country, the trouble of schlepping it through airports will be worth it.

I would consider dumping the husband for the trip through Customs. Maybe others would disagree. Something to consider. Have never had a problem. Raised an eyebrow or two and been asked to open, always waved through. Think my record is five checked suitcases for a single tourist. Now that I am bragging, things will change and I will be dumping stuff in the waste bin.

Good Luck

FIVE months ago I arrived here with two very large suitcases; one carryon; one large carton packed with one year's supply of special foods not available here; some electric goods like coffee maker and coffee grinder; clothes; the only hassle was putting it through the x-ray machine. Also medicines; vitamins in large quantities too. Take it in while you are able to do so as sending it here will be very expensive if indeed too it ever arrives from stories I often hear too about such shipping. You are a family so take everything you want now so you do not have to pay the high prices to obtain them here if indeed you can find them here at all. Enjoy Life!

It would be absurd to not bring your favorite sheers. They're like sand paper here. I've come with many bags with sheets, towels, water pitchers and filters, household items, etc. Sometimes you get stopped but that doesn't mean you'll be faced to pay. They may just want to search. A lot depends on luck, what time you arrive at Ezeiza and go through customs, and where you came from. My best advice is to NOT enter via Miami. They will definitely check your suitcases, especially if your husband is Argentine.

It all depends on the day. Just one thing to know is that in Argentina everything is psychological and not logical. make it a rule of thumb and enjoy your stay

SC

Back