Supermarket Blackout Movement /tomorrow Friday

Sounds like more monopolies in the food chain, if only we had a govt who cared about that sort of thing.....

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like supermarkets but for cleaning stuff, household produce etc, it's the cheapest and simplest for me. I try not to get too much "real" food from them. Discount days are hard to ignore however.

That said, you're economics are way out and you keep ignoring the mention of all the costs they have. It's killing me to defend them, especially here where as you correctly mention monopolies in the food chain are an issue, primarily with quality, but it would be ignorant (in the most repectful way) not to acknowledge the cost of operating a supermarket.

Here's a fun exercise, are there balance sheets and fundamentals of these companies not available online? With some research we could probably talk real figures and see what the year on year increase in profit really is. Guarantee you'd be surprised.

I know there are costs, but what I m saying is that these prices are exceeding what it cost. I put the example of Dia, a smaller chain that puts products at half of what it cost in Carrefour. It is also a chain and has -more or less- the same cost than them.

I tried Dia, to see if I could make some savings, am afraid I didn't see the efficiencies.

Maybe someone will take advantage and launch a real low cost supermarket like Aldi, Lidl etc. Used them a lot in Ireland, cut costs by having less people working in store, lower ratio of staff to customer which the noqui loving peronists wouldn't go for, high quality goods but with very little thought in store presentation. It is basically just wooden pallets with the goods stacked on top. Also fruit, veg and meat was local but were cheaper goods were available they are imported, i.e. cheaper domestic goods.

I am definitely taking part in the Supermarket protest No way I will go to any big supermarket today.

But if the rain stops, I may have second thoughts............

I know there are costs, but what I m saying is that these prices are exceeding what it cost. I put the example of Dia, a smaller chain that puts products at half of what it cost in Carrefour. It is also a chain and has -more or less- the same cost than them.

Why don't you stop crying and just shop at Día and the Mercado Central? If you don't like the prices elsewhere, don't go there.

(However, it seems like you go to these other chains frequently, since you seem to be quite familiar with all the prices in all of them. I wonder why that is?)

I invariably spend more money, more time, and get worse produce.

Supermarkets here are rubbish. Unless you need to pay by credit card in cuotas, I can not see the point of buying horrible produce for exorbitant prices.

I don't buy a lot of produce at supermarkets, sometimes it's about convenience (ie I just need potatoes and onions, might as well just buy them there). However occasionally the supermarkets surprise you with their produce -- the large Walmart on Constituyentes had cherries for 39pesos a kilo the other week, bought about 100 gr to try, they were great, so went back and bought a bunch more -- 2 days later they had adjusted price to 69/kg.

If you shop at supermarkets and you buy their brand of butter/yogurt whatever you can get a decent price (or whatever brand they seem to have a deal with -- ie Carrefour and Milkaut). Most of the chinos near us at least for dairy products are much more expensive than the supers. A 2-pack of yogs costs approx 6pesos at our local Carrefour and 9 pesos at the chino (note: I haven't bought yogurt in a week, price index may be out of date, hahaha). Where our chino does beat the supermarkets is in fiambrerias/queso.

Our local almacen I wish we could support more because they are nice guys, but man, they are expensive. 14 pesos for the same litre sachet of milk that costs me 7 pesos at Walmart. I only use them when I don't feel like walking further, but I was just in there now and I suspect they'll have to close their doors soon enough, I don't think they're able to compete when the chinos are only another block and a half away and the supermarkets 5 blocks.

Reactions: jp
Why don't you stop crying and just shop at Día and the Mercado Central? If you don't like the prices elsewhere, don't go there.

(However, it seems like you go to these other chains frequently, since you seem to be quite familiar with all the prices in all of them. I wonder why that is?)

Yes.

I tried Dia, to see if I could make some savings, am afraid I didn't see the efficiencies.

the key with Dia is to buy their brand products, from soap and shampoo to milk, yoghurts, I ate them, their quality is acceptable. The yougurt is half the price than other supermarkets I tried. The beer is 2.5 pesos the can and its far away of undrinkable. Other products of Laserenisima or Sancor is like 30% cheaper than Chinos and Carrefour and Disco.
The problem with Dia is that lots of them are now out of goods, but that does not happen always and you can still find good offers.

Saw the "these are the ones stealing your salary" posters?
I don't have a supermarket, so really wouldn't know how big the profit could be. Now, if the Gov't and related associations claim that there's such a big rip off going on, why don't they run a "supermercado popular" with the prices they claim to be fair?. The profit would be lower per article, but surely huge overall as the entire low and middle classes would go for it. People wins, Govt wins.

Ah right...Aerolineas...Trains...etc

F' politics.

The problem with Dia is that lots of them are now out of goods, but that does not happen always and you can still find good offers.

To me the problem with Dia is that a lot of their supermarkets are just horribly direty and gross. They've improved compared to about 5 years ago, but a lot of them are still pretty horrible. Same with a lot of the chinos, and frankly even the hiper Carrefour near me was disgusting until about 6 mos ago when they finally started cleaning it up. I just can't bring myself to buy products (even canned) when the place I'm buying from is dirty

To me the problem with Dia is that a lot of their supermarkets are just horribly direty and gross. They've improved compared to about 5 years ago, but a lot of them are still pretty horrible. Same with a lot of the chinos, and frankly even the hiper Carrefour near me was disgusting until about 6 mos ago when they finally started cleaning it up. I just can't bring myself to buy products (even canned) when the place I'm buying from is dirty

100% true. Dias are almost every one dirty and disorganised, and its not an invitation to get in, but you have to see the prices. That is what only matters to me when go to Dia, you have to ignore the rest.

Back