supermarket lines

the lines are long because no one gives a shit about anyone else. they wait until all their items have been rung up to start bagging them. they chat up the check out clerk and they never have their cash/atm card out until they are given a final total. you really wanna see hell, check out the coto at abasto on the weekend.

No one will ever accuse the Argentinians of providing excessive customer service, however once in a while you will find someone or a business that does provide good service. It's a nice surprise when it happens.

Dear Lee:
The class, the enchatment, the good life in general terms its that who makes you still be here when you said months ago that you'll get out (how I can remember) don't you?. So, the only who sucks here its you!. You should not never get impresed by the people complaints, that happen everywhere even in the states, I can tell you cuz I had lived it when I was in NY. You are forgetting have to consider that americans (mainly) are accustomed to share his experiences if they are bad! (hu...tipical). Its like if I live in a country for a while and listening the news (they allwhise report the bad things in 80% of the cases, at least here) or having a bad experience somewhere by myself, and make my mind on that basis: "This country sucks...the service its a shit... etc... etc". That whould be very dump for my part. So try to open your mind and see the whole picture. Take it as an advisement, as an constructive criticism not only for you, but also for all that kind of people who thinks in that way.

jp said:
Just avoid supermarkets altogether. They make sense in countries where they offer convenience, quality and low prices. But supermarkets here seem to offer a winning combination of shit produce, horrible prices and a miserable shopping experience.

Stick to your local butcher, baker, greengrocer etc and you'll get more for less, and better service to boot.

Hear hear! What does the word 'rapida' in 'caja rapida' refer to? :)

arty said:
the lines are long because no one gives a shit about anyone else. they wait until all their items have been rung up to start bagging them. they chat up the check out clerk and they never have their cash/atm card out until they are given a final total. you really wanna see hell, check out the coto at abasto on the weekend.

The Coto on Cabildo in Belgrano is hell. What about conveyors that run?! Ever been to an ALDI in Australia or Europe? Quick as! Pack it yourself (not a plastic bag for every fricking item either), but move the trolley so we can serve the next customer. Customer service. Como???

Brigadier said:
Dear Lee:
The class, the enchatment, the good life in general terms its that who makes you still be here when you said months ago that you'll get out (how I can remember) don't you?. So, the only who sucks here its you!. You should not never get impresed by the people complaints, that happen everywhere even in the states, I can tell you cuz I had lived it when I was in NY. You are forgetting have to consider that americans (mainly) are accustomed to share his experiences if they are bad! (hu...tipical). Its like if I live in a country for a while and listening the news (they allwhise report the bad things in 80% of the cases, at least here) or having a bad experience somewhere by myself, and make my mind on that basis: "This country sucks...the service its a shit... etc... etc". That whould be very dump for my part. So try to open your mind and see the whole picture. Take it as an advisement, as an constructive criticism not only for you, but also for all that kind of people who thinks in that way.
Fact: the service in supermarkets is usually crap. Most smaller shops are friendlier and customer -oriented.

I enjoy the lines. Pick the line with the most enjoyable view and let the imagination take care of the rest. And now that it is Spring........ I love Argentina.

To avoid the lines, I try to go 5 minutes before the supermarket closes, so that I can wander around the gondolas and when I'm ready to pay, the line is shorter. The cashiers also tend to work faster, as they want to go home early.

Back