supermarket lines

Good point on the labor cost, hadn't thought about that when it comes to the bigger supermarkets. The lines are bad but I've found the "off-times" to shop to minimize the pain as much as possible.

And yes, as always, patronize the smaller stores if you can. The rule as always is if you're nice, you will usually find they're super nice in return. My experiences just today went to Starbucks (which isn't a small chain but whatever) and was greeted by name and they had my drink made by the time I paid. Went to the wine store and the guy carried my wine home for me. I stopped by the bread store and got some great fresh bread, no wait. I went to my favorite clothing store (independent designer, not a chain) and got a 20% discount b/c a) I'm a regular customer and b) paid in cash. I stopped by the verduleria and no lines and got some extras thrown in. The smaller the store and the more you frequent it, the better the service is. It's just how it works here.

SaraSara said:
-- Bad service when you have to wait six months to get a car after putting down a deposit, and the dealer doesn't give you the car's final price until it actually arrives. So you are buying something without knowing how much it will cost.

This is in no way unique to argentina.

PhilipDT said:

I did not know that.

When the first dealer told me that was their policy I thought they were a bunch of pirates, and visited another dealership. Only to be told exactly the same thing.

Even paying for a car in cash in full does not lock the price. Apparently this insane policy is dictated by Honda Argentina, who treats customers as indented serfs. My next car is certainly NOT going to be a Honda.

fifs2 said:
-- Good service when the three owners of the hardware store spend half an hour trying to find the exact bolt I need to put up a shelf, and consult with each other, and argue about the relative merits of different kinds of bolts.

So true and so nice....and when I try to explain grub screws in Spanish (I tried worm screws!!)they look kindly at me , get me what I need (somehow) and dont baulk at me paying for a 40 centavo screw with a 10peso note.

Thanks for reminding us to see the good side SaraSara..we surely know its not better at "home", we just want Argentina to be a bigger version of this hardware store all the time!

I agree with this as I have had many similar experiences here in general and in hardware stores in particular. Even as I am fumbling through my list with all my cheat sheets the people in line behind me are not saying, "come on lady, WTF already," and cutting (like in Italy) or cursing (like in NYC) or teasing (like in Mississippi). If they can afford me the time to get what I need, I think I can make a few moments in my day to allow others the time to do what they need. It's not as if I'm waiting for the anti-venom for some deadly spider bite.

Listen carefully people!!... Argentina had the best services and workers behind usa in this continent in the past, but after the 2nd world war, too many nazis comes here where the population was small and the economy great, after that start the corruption, the goverment cheats, the dictaduras, etc etc. And with all this the country went down, and for finish this "the cherry in the pay", the 2001-2002 economy crisis, the worst in the whole history of the country!!... So stop to say argentina this... or argentina that... could you please??. We had a culture of hard work, eficence, progress and all that stuff. The only that you people are seeing right now in the present its the socio-economyc consecuenses of that I told before. Dont forget that we got only 8 years of recovering whitout anyone helping, like another countrys who recived a lot of many and help after crisis or wars. We are dont specting that, we can do it alone. But dont come to here to say that all bullshit cuz no one in this world have the future buyed, anyone can get a big crisis like that we had and then I wholud like to see what they do!. Try to respect the country who host you, and after to giv an opinion make shure that You arent seeing the country from the lock door.

Brigadier said:
Listen carefully people!!... Argentina had the best services and workers behind usa in this continent in the past, but after the 2nd world war, too many nazis comes here where the population was small and the economy great, after that start the corruption, the goverment cheats, the dictaduras, etc etc. And with all this the country went down, and for finish this "the cherry in the pay", the 2001-2002 economy crisis, the worst in the whole history of the country!!... So stop to say argentina this... or argentina that... could you please??. We had a culture of hard work, eficence, progress and all that stuff. The only that you people are seeing right now in the present its the socio-economyc consecuenses of that I told before. Dont forget that we got only 8 years of recovering whitout anyone helping, like another countrys who recived a lot of many and help after crisis or wars. We are dont specting that, we can do it alone. But dont come to here to say that all bullshit cuz no one in this world have the future buyed, anyone can get a big crisis like that we had and then I wholud like to see what they do!. Try to respect the country who host you, and after to giv an opinion make shure that You arent seeing the country from the lock door.

This is such a typical argentine statement. I love it. I can't believe you guys all believe your own bullshit.

I won't get into all of the bullshit in your post but let me just say one thing:

If actions truly speak louder than words, foreigners clearly respect Argentina much more than Argentines

PhilipDT said:

Umm where else does this happen besides developing countries? I've never heard of a car dealer not giving you the price of a car months after putting down a deposit. At least not in the states? Surely no reputable business would ever think of doing that. Maybe in Europe?

LAtoBA said:
Umm where else does this happen besides developing countries? I've never heard of a car dealer not giving you the price of a car months after putting down a deposit. At least not in the states? Surely no reputable business would ever think of doing that. Maybe in Europe?

States for sure.

Speaking as a former car industry employee. I've seen a car sold and paid for (all paperwork done) to an out of state buyer who flew in to pick up the car, which was then sold out from under him, and he wasn't told so that when he showed on a 1 way ticket, it was very easy for the dealer to sell him another car that had more profit in it.

LAtoBA said:

It wouldn't happen in Europe either. You get the price before you buy the car. You certainly can wait six month for a car that is in high demand like the MINI and the Smart cars when they first came out. But the price you paid, interest, lease agreements, etc, etc will be determined before the order is placed.

To PhilipDT: everything I told in my post was true!... come hare and tellme in my face that it wasnt if you know our history!. Its easy to live in a country a few years and make your opinion about the people: they are like this... or they are like that... unknowing how we are after all that crap wich who we lived. So your post its bullshit cuz doesnt have fundaments like the mine.

Back