Supermarkets in Argentina are twice as dear as London

perry

Registered
https://www.infobae.com/economia/20...YXssvTTux537qxvhaUPFXW2HlEPsK6ACpbDf7M4Uxuovk

Im not surprised at all as food prices has gone through the roof in the last year beating inflation and devaluation . From my calculations supermarkets products are 70% dearer than last year and for some items up to 150% dearer . The costs of these items on the list above are shocking and show the terrible situation that the typical argentinian family have to live with . This is an economic crime of the worst kind as food is a necesity for all not a weapon of espectulation .

Last edited:
It has always astonished me how food can be so expensive in an agricultural country. I realize that part of it is because of a poor transport / distribution system but it's also partly greed. Some products in Disco, for example, are substantially more expensive than in small markets.

To a Californian, UK food prices are astonishingly cheap, waaaayyyy out of whack to how expensive housing and other things are in the UK. The idea that olive oil - even low grade stuff - would be $2.50 or than a package of mushrooms would be under $1.00 is totally unthinkable. It's true that Argentines should be paying less than the UK and not more, but it's also true that the UK is a crazy outlier. Like comparing the cost of housing in Belgrano to than in Arkansas.

Just by seeing how they compare price of units in the UK to kilos in Argentina, without even trying to make a simple conversion, tells me a lot about objectivity of this article. Numbeo data is a lot more objective and up to date: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...2=Buenos+Aires&tracking=getDispatchComparison. Except for bread, everything is more expensive in London. Of course you can find cheaper products, sales, etc. But declaring that London's produce is twice as cheap as Buenos Aires is just plain false.

I dont know about england- but the prices I pay for high quality food in Argentina, often organic, are often about half what I pay for similar things in Washington State.

My experience from crossing the ocean from the UK - often several times a year - is that my monthly shopping total, when I convert pesos to pounds, is about the same in the UK as it is in Buenos Aires. It's just that the expensive items and the cheap items are different. That's okay for me, living on an income from the UK but I'm acutely aware that earnings in Argentina are lower and so most Argentines and residents earning in pesos are spending a greater proportion of their income on these things.

If you buy everything in the supermarket, you'll pay more. If you ignore the discount programs, you'll pay more. I enjoy seeking out the best shopping deals wherever I am (Hey! I'm English: I'm allowed to be a little bit crazy like that) and if you shop actively you can live better wherever you are.

I dont know about england- but the prices I pay for high quality food in Argentina, often organic, are often about half what I pay for similar things in Washington State.

Although I don't have any means for comparison of prices in the USA, I agree with you. I bought organic kale, lemons, plums, green pepper, green onions, and avocados on Friday from Tallo Verde stand at the feria organica in Plaza Lavalle. The cost was $10US. I know I'd pay much more in Chicago or any US city.

I read in the paper that food prices had gone up 7% in January + February. Food had the highest inflation, while things like dance classes were at the complete bottom and had not raised at all.

Although I don't have any means for comparison of prices in the USA, I agree with you. I bought organic kale, lemons, plums, green pepper, green onions, and avocados on Friday from Tallo Verde stand at the feria organica in Plaza Lavalle. The cost was $10US. I know I'd pay much more in Chicago or any US city.

I find good quality organic products in Argentina much more expensive than Australia . For example yoghurt is outrageously expensive here especially La Choza ( which I love ) is US$ 4 a litre . Cheeses of high quality are terribly expensive , and meat now is nearly the same price of Australia . I do not eat a lot of vegetables now as I found that I am much healthier without them and especially in Argentina they are very toxic with the highest pesticide count recorded in the world due to Monsanto . They are literally draped in pesticides and now they are supposed to be a health food?

Back