Survey: Globalization and You

JoeBlow

Registered
Globalization has its potential good points. For example, the more we are all alike, the less we will want to harm each other (or so I think).

Even now, however, globalization can be seen rearing its head at supermarkets: it seems supermarket chains are all alike these days........with one notable exception: baggers!

Can anybody attest to the presence of baggers in other countries? In Mexico City, where I lived for several years, there were baggers. In Spain, where I also lived, well...I'm not sure if there were baggers.

Can anybody give me the lowdown on whether or not there are baggers in other countries? Once armed with this information, perhaps I'll go to the owners of Disco, Coto and Carrefour and tell them to get with program!

Tens of thousands of hours of Argentines' time are wasted everyday because there are no baggers at supermarkets. Just today I spent a half an hour in line for this very reason.

Au contraire! I need to get in more! But supermarket lines take up precious time.

Try and relate with me here, we can make a difference!

JoeBlow said:
Au contraire! I need to get in more! But supermarket lines take up precious time.

Try and relate with me here, we can make a difference!
well I,m not a supermarket shopper.I live in the sticks so I know where to buy for SO MUCH cheaper...basically keeping the traditional shops alive:)

Totally hear you. I try to avoid the chains, but today's near freezing temps drove me to Croto, I mean Coto.

Perhaps I shouldn't even be trying to help them become more efficient and successful. Scratch this whole thread! Long live mom and pops and chinos.

Thanks for straightening me out there, H!

Coud you tell me, though, how you got to this thread so fast? I always have to wait until 1am to see new threads. :)

What a refreshing thread.

My issue is when they do pack your bags they use so many of them. Of course I don't want the bag to collapse on my way home but jees they take double bagging to the extreme. What do I want all those motherfo bags for?

in belgium we used to have baggers during christmastime, to make 'check out' faster, to have less waiting lines. That was before they banned all bags in supermarkets. No bags, no baggers.
(That is also the moment when we had to start buying bags for the dustbin instead of using the free ones...)

in NZ we have packers at some supermarkets, and some the checkout operator does it when she is scanning, and some they just put the scanned items into an empty trolley which you can either pack yourself or wheel to the car and dump into the boot.. but they are like 50 times quicker than the checkout chicks here.. its all to do with unions, you dont have to work hard here because you dont need to be afraid to lose your job. thats why the chinese supermarkets are quicker to get in and out off, they are usually family run, and they want to get as much money through that till as possible.

In Uruguay there are baggers in all the supermarkets. Here I shop at the "almacen" a block away - I order by phone and a teenager on a bicycle delivers the order, so I don't know whether they have baggers.

But they must have some highly skilled wrappers - their brown eggs come neatly packaged in newspaper. No string or tape, but the package is so tight that it stays neat and compact in the refrigerator.

In Chile there are baggers, although u gotta give them a tip of a few coins. I also like them to use as many bags as possible, to ward off the nightmare of breaking bags. If i buy 1 small item god let them give me 4 bags, the environment is overrated and 1 man can't make a difference

Back