Swedish Jail Vs Argentine Jail

gpop

Registered
This just made me laugh:
http://sailinganarchy.com/2015/06/23/go-to-jail-go-directly-to-jail/
(Funny that the ones being detained are from the Spanish Team Mapfre... but WTF, these lads just came back from an around the world race... a little hell raising is in order ;) ).

if this is what comes to mind when you think of a jail in Argentina:
prisons02.jpg

What would they think of this Swedish jail:
Screen-Shot-2015-06-23-at-4.27.46-PM.png

Or a Norwegian prison: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/magazine/the-radical-humaneness-of-norways-halden-prison.html?_r=0

Looks very much like the dorm room my oldest was staying in in Finland while at school!
Probably getting an education while in jail too... the Scandinavian countries don't seem to waste much of anything, so educating prisoners is probably a fact of life there.

Probably getting an education while in jail too... the Scandinavian countries don't seem to waste much of anything, so educating prisoners is probably a fact of life there.

Which is not a bad idea. If you're going to lock someone up, rehabilitate them, teach them a trade, make them useful members of society. Don't punish them for years amongst other criminals so that when they leave they've simply learned to be better criminals.

Which is not a bad idea. If you're going to lock someone up, rehabilitate them, teach them a trade, make them useful members of society. Don't punish them for years amongst other criminals so that when they leave they've simply learned to be better criminals.

...and note also that these are tax-supported institutions created by social democratic governments.

Yes, and since they are already in existence and throwing people in jail (often for harming themselves!), I'd rather see them do something productive with the inmates than something destructive. I'm also compassionate, so I'd prefer not to have people treated like beasts.

Yes, and since they are already in existence and throwing people in jail (often for harming themselves!), I'd rather see them do something productive with the inmates than something destructive. I'm also compassionate, so I'd prefer not to have people treated like beasts.

Too bad it doesn't fit the libertarian ideological straitjacket.

BTW, for anyone who missed it the VOR results are as follows With team Abu Dhabi as 1st place over-all, and my faves (yaeeee Team Brunel in 2nd) :

LEG 1 LEG 2 LEG 3 LEG 4 LEG 5 LEG 6 LEG 7 LEG 8 LEG 9 TOTAL
1 Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing 1 3 2 2 1 2 5 3 5 24
2 Team Brunel 3 1 5 5 4 3 1 5 2 29
3 Dongfeng Race Team 2 2 1 3 8 1 4 7 4 33*
4 Team Alvimedica 5 4 3 4 3 5 3 6 1 34
5 MAPFRE 7 4 4 1 2 4 2 4 3 34*
6 Team SCA 6 6 6 6 5 6 6 1 7 51*
7 Team Vestas Wind 4 8 8 8 8 8 8 2 6 60

Back