The Swedish Law

lis2007_hotmail_com

Registered
To swedish people:

As my father, swedish citizen since 1976, have died in Stockholm in 2013, my half brother that lives there does not answer my emails (many), I would like to know if there is time to claim the inheritance according to de swedish law.
Anybody knows about it? any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for any information!

I don't know anything about inheritance law as I have not had to deal with it yet. I suggest that you go the the embassy to ask, they can't help you, but maybe they can put you in touch with someone who can.

Find a phone number of a good Swedish lawyer, with expertise in family problems.Use GOOGLE

These people give free advice within Sweden. They don't have any information in English only Swedish. http://www.arvsrätt.nu

From what I have seen the deceased's spouse inherits the whole amount, UNLESS there are children from a prior relationship. Then those children inherit their part, so if there was anything to inherit you should have been contacted. The children from the current union doesn't inherit until both parents are dead.

Also keep in mind that the inheritance tax is steep, or at least was. After a decade of Moderater in the government that may have changed.
It also says that the process has to be started no later than 3 months after death, so it may be tricky to start a case two years later. As mentioned, if your father did have something to inherit you can contact a lawyer, but if your share would have been small anyway you may end up paying the lawyer what you inherit.

Back