Takes one to know one....

hahahaha ... captainmcd:
My parents used to "force" as to go to the Colon theater.
When I arrived at Mitchell I thought: beautiful, peaceful land. After few months and tons of snow and wind I couldn't understand how anyone chose to live there. Earth has a spot that fits just right for each of us. If we are lucky and don't waste too much time complaining we can find it. Again some of us are really lucky that we can chose where we live or don't. Good night and good luck :)

Making friends past 20 outside of work or university isn't that easy... everybody already has their circle of friends or is busy. :rolleyes: I've found that to be true nearly everywhere.

Inefficiency and poor workmanship bothers me much more than people's attitudes. Really, how hard is it to do a decent a job? :mad: It's also a great mystery to me how there are so many cows and Italians in this country, and yet a lack of good cheese and Bolognese sauce! :confused:

I was never "in love" with Argentina and don't think I ever will be. I was given a rather ugly picture the first time I came – we were on the bad side of town and my overcautious boyfriend didn't like going out at night (so we didn’t) due to it being dangerous and he used to answer the door armed with a gun - I had never seen a gun in person before. Thankfully that’s settled down a bit and we now go out and answer the door like normal people.

I'm here for the long haul since I'm getting married soon. Argentina definitely isn't my favorite country, but it's livable, especially if you can get away for a couple months out of the year. ;) If it wasn't for the family business and my fiance’s family, I'd really campaign to try to move to Spain or the US - even though the situation isn't that great over there either. The biggest misgiving I really have about living here is raising kids - I don't think the schools are that great and safety is always an issue. I can rough it, but I’m concerned about not being able to offer my future children what I had. But who knows where we'll be in 5 or 10 years? One of the most important things is to keep perspective here. In Argentina especially you have to live day by day and enjoy it the best you can...

citygirl said:
I do completely complain about the cost of things though ;)

Like you, like me :)

I also like life here over all and would not like to leave. With the kids and all it's going to complicate their lives, plus we have a business here that is about to pick up bigtime so it's impossible to leave.
To stay sane my husband splits life and goes away to Europe for about 7-14 days a month. Of course I stay extra insane with the kids on my own plus being in Argentina and all...but sometimes the whole family travels...

Somehow I am glad to be back because in Europe everything is super expensive (food, most shopping, and the meat their is horrible!!!!) and then for a while things seems to be very cheap here :)

Amargo said:
Most of those complaining here in this post will surely find strange that many Argentines come back every year from the US and Europe because they didn't like life there and just didn adapt to life there.

They come back for family and friends....not because they couldn't adapt.

Amargo said:
Argentina, like nay other country in the World, is not for everyone. If you like a country or not depends on your tastes. Most of those complaining here in this post will surely find strange that many Argentines come back every year from the US and Europe because they didn't like life there and just didn adapt to life there.
One has to be honest to himself: if you don't like/are not able to adapt to a country just leave and don't blame the locals for your 'lack of success'.

I like how you just jump in and assume that we would think it's strange that Argentines would want to return to Argentina from the U.S. or Europe. De dónde sacaste eso? I myself can't wait to go back home, so naturally I would understand why an Argentine would feel the same way. I don't think it's weird at all. If someone misses how things are where they come from, and comes to the conclusion that that is where they should return, I don't feel the need to attack them for supposedly not cutting it. I don't cop an attitude, nor do I develop a superiority complex. I do not judge.

I merely responded to the OP's question on becoming more negative, and explained why I am. I have always found it so amusing that people on this forum assume that if someone doesn't like it here, it's because they "can't cut it." I have been "cutting it" making 3000 pesos or less per month for the past two years. (I would love to see how some of you high rise living, work-from-home-making-dollars types would "cut it" on that salary.) The fact that I do not like the friendship culture here makes life difficult. I do not expect things to change just because I wish they would, so yes indeed, I am leaving. I do not "blame the locals" for this. They have their system and if it works for them, great. It does not work for me.

Still waiting for those ladies out there with porteña friends not made through boyfriends or husbands.

Don said:
I myself earn in dollars down here, live on the 35th Floor in Mirabilia (which is supposedly one of the most prestigious buildings here in BA), live the "highlife", and still can't cut it. I'm out of here in November after two years and I'm sure BA won't miss me...

I'm an Argentinian girl whose best friend in the world is an American girl. (we're both twenty-somethings). We did not meet through a boyfriend.

Well, cough-cough, I haven't seen my 20s in a while:eek::D but I do have a few (and by few, I mean 3) close porteña friends. I met each through activities. The first I met through riding horses, the second I met in NY before I moved down here full-time and the third was my Spanish professor.

I have a lot more accquaintances but that's a world apart.

Making friends isn't easy anywhere after college but I do think it's especially challenging here. In most big cities, everyone is transient (ie, not many people actually grew up in NY or Boston or LA - lots moved there after college). So everyone is in a bit of the same boat. Whereas in Cap Fed, I feel like no one ever really leaves so you have social circles formed early that really don't change.

My only recommendation - if you work in an office, it makes it a little bit easier (ie, all my employees go out together after work for after-office). If that's not an option, activities are a good way to meet people. And since you already have a shared interest, it's a good ice-breaker. Yoga, tango, drawing, riding horses, whatever it is.

Back