Takes one to know one....

gsi16386

Registered
Is it just me, or do a majority of the expat comments seem negative? Now here me out...

I look back to some of my previous posts (when I first got here to BA) and I was happy as a lark. Nothing but positive comments other than the fact that I think Argentinians are whiners and complainers. Nowadays, I find myself to be more of a complainer, bitching and moaning about the cost of things, how hard/inefficient things are here, and how people seem to have 0 respect for others. I look at these things and then start to wonder...is it true? Am I coming Argentinian? Am I becoming Argentinized???

I used to make fun of Argentinians for crying about every little thing and now I find myself doing the same thing and empathize with them. Does the same hold true for a majority of the expats that are on this forum? Were you once optimistic and have all of a sudden turned into a pessimist? I wonder what an Argentinian Expat forum would look like in the US (or England, France, etc...). Would they still be complainers or be moreso optimists...

I was very optimistic about Argentina when I came here. I first visited on a vacation and fell in love with the place. 2 years after my first visit I sold my house and car and came to live here. I am not optimistic as I once was but I am not giving up. I have had more negative things happen to me in 4.5 years here than I ever had happen in my lifetime. However I have met the most wonderful person and I wouldn't give him up for the world. Argentina does have a few positives, but it's pretty much what people warned me about when I came here and was singing it's praises. One thing that has changed for ever.......my concept of the truth.......people here think nothing of lying and stealing from you even if you have a contract, are friends, neighbors, everyone is fair game for robbery.

people here think nothing of lying and stealing from you even if you have a contract, are friends, neighbors, everyone is fair game for robbery.

Depends who and where. Social class matters, as also cultural background. Not very probable that a farmer in the Valles Calchaquies will do that to you (still, there are exceptions, of course). Again, there are even honest taxi drivers, go figure!

Wise up, folks.

It isn't very pretty, living in a town without pity.

Or justice.

The exceptions increase as you get further away from the center of the chaos.

(When I forget to lock my door at night nothing bad happens.)

I've been here for just over two years now and I'm leaving the beginning of November. I came back to be with my girlfriend, but I simply can't take it anymore. I honestly don't see how any expat in their right minds would want to stay (unless they have family/significant other/live in the campo/something like that), but that's just my opinion. My quality of life has been drastically reduced and much like yourself, the value of living here just aren't worth the sacrifices that must be made. I'll be heading back to West Palm Beach in November and although it's been an interesting ride, I'll be happy to get my life back to normal.

I am living here for exactly 2 years now. OVERALL, life here is good. I have lives in 3 other countries before and I am just 31 years old.
I do find myself getting aggravated here every day about the stupidity of how things here are run.
People here do not know how to do business, everything works here in REVERSE, everything! Nothing makes sense outside of Argentina, and people are either too religious or stupid to think for themselves. Every time there is a price increase in anything (medical coverage/gas/food/peaje) they accept it and say "inflation".
They just buy it! The so called leaders of this country and the ministers never even went to college.
Here no one thinks about the future down the road, they never look more than 1-3 years down the road and all they do when they actually do something positive is in order to manipulate the public before elections.

Luckily I live in the suburbs and it's quiet here and I don't tune in too much to the local news. So I am in a sort of a bubble and thankful for it.
I did live in North America and the middle east and no place is perfect.
Here the cost of living and quality of live, medical services and private school and worth staying here for me.

I still try to educate and change people here one by one (mainly on the roads-damn, people here do not even know or understand the laws of driving!!! FAST on the left lane, not SLOW. Yield BEFORE entering a roundabout, do not stop when you are inside!)

Anyone here agrees?

AlfajorEfi said:
I am living here for exactly 2 years now. OVERALL, life here is good. I have lives in 3 other countries before and I am just 31 years old.
I do find myself getting aggravated here every day about the stupidity of how things here are run.
People here do not know how to do business, everything works here in REVERSE, everything! Nothing makes sense outside of Argentina, and people are either too religious or stupid to think for themselves. Every time there is a price increase in anything (medical coverage/gas/food/peaje) they accept it and say "inflation".
They just buy it! The so called leaders of this country and the ministers never even went to college.
Here no one thinks about the future down the road, they never look more than 1-3 years down the road and all they do when they actually do something positive is in order to manipulate the public before elections.

Luckily I live in the suburbs and it's quiet here and I don't tune in too much to the local news. So I am in a sort of a bubble and thankful for it.
I did live in North America and the middle east and no place is perfect.
Here the cost of living and quality of live, medical services and private school and worth staying here for me.

I still try to educate and change people here one by one (mainly on the roads-damn, people here do not even know or understand the laws of driving!!! FAST on the left lane, not SLOW. Yield BEFORE entering a roundabout, do not stop when you are inside!)

Anyone here agrees?

Too religious? In Argentina?

Yep those are the rose colored glasses coming off alright! I think it happens more seriously around the 2 year mark.

I'd say that this is still a fun place for people to come on vacation, or live for maybe up to a year. Beyond that... I don't get why people are coming anymore. I, too, will be out of here just a month shy of my 6 year anniversary here (though I've been ready for longer). You can try to stay positive all you want but the rose colored glasses coming off is an eventuality that WILL happen, sooner or later... . It doesn't mean you can't enjoy life here, it just means you have to try harder (and get a little hardened in the process).

Well, I left NYC 4 years ago. Have been living here in total for probably 3.25 (that first year I split time between here & US).

I am happy here but the rose coloured glasses came off a long time ago. To be fair, I'm not sure I every really had them on as much as some people (I knew what I was getting into when I moved here). It hasn't been the easiest of roads but I don't regret my decision and don't have any desire to leave.

That being said, I did move out of Cap Fed and definitely live in a bit of a bubble where I am. I try to ignore or eliminate the negative factors as much as possible, concentrate on the positives and in general, enjoy my time since this is home. I am also lucky enough that while inflation has affected me (given I haven't had a raise in 2+ years!) I still have a cushion. This is not a place I would want to have a low salary or not have some type of financial cushion. I also have the ability to travel a lot which keeps me sane I think.

I do completely complain about the cost of things though ;)

Back