Taking pesos out of Argentina

pompeygazza

Registered
Does anyone know how many pesos I can take out of Argentina, or better, are there any ways I can transfer pesos to an account in the UK or Europe? I know it's not possible with Western Union. I live and work here but have to go to UK in August for my son's wedding.

pompeygazza said:
Does anyone know how many pesos I can take out of Argentina, or better, are there any ways I can transfer pesos to an account in the UK or Europe? I know it's not possible with Western Union. I live and work here but have to go to UK in August for my son's wedding.

You can take the equivalent of USD10.000 with out without declaring it, and unlimited if you declare it to customs. However, you'd have to be absolutely crazy.

You are unlikely to find a better rate than even the parallel market price for dollars if you take your pesos outside of Argentina and try and sell them. The best way is to change them here for dollars or euros before you leave. In the formal market if you can, or if not, at the parallel rate. The limit that you can take without declaring is the same.

ndcj said:
You can take the equivalent of USD10.000 with out without declaring it, and unlimited if you declare it to customs. However, you'd have to be absolutely crazy.

You are unlikely to find a better rate than even the parallel market price for dollars if you take your pesos outside of Argentina and try and sell them. The best way is to change them here for dollars or euros before you leave. In the formal market if you can, or if not, at the parallel rate. The limit that you can take without declaring is the same.

THIS!

No one in the world, outside of Argentina, wants pesos right now. It's a dark time for the currency. Don't make it any darker than it has to be.

Napoleon said:
THIS!

No one in the world, outside of Argentina, wants pesos right now. It's a dark time for the currency. Don't make it any darker than it has to be.

I don't want to destabilise Argentina, I only want to buy my son a wedding present. Buying dollars or euros here sounds like good advice. Thanks

pompeygazza said:
I don't want to destabilise Argentina, I only want to buy my son a wedding present. Buying dollars or euros here sounds like good advice. Thanks

I was meaning, don't make the time "darker" for you.

I wasn't J'accuse-ing you of destabilizing anything. ;)

Couldn't you hypothetically take pesos to the US, exchange for dollars at the 4.4 rate, bring dollars back and exchange for the blue market rate of 5.9?

Very few banks in the US would consider buying pesos and those that do certainly wouldn't be doing it at the "official" rate.

You might be able to "transfer" Pesos for Dollars by using your Argentine credit card to pay for flights for family members going to the wedding or pay for wedding gifts, then have them repay you in Dollars at the offical rate when you get there. There might be holes in this scenario that I haven't thought about, though.

I'm heading to the UK in a week and had a look around to see who would change pesos. The post office website has a publicised exchange rate thats only 10% less than the official exchange rate. I'm sure there are better rates out there.

Buying dollars or euros could cost you over 30% over the official rate. I'd call around, find out who will change your pesos in the UK and at what rate.

Back