Taking Pet back to Germany (EU)

EvergreenGal said:
Mini,
Were you able to find any answers today?? Thanks for posting!!!

No progress yet. I went to the vet yesterday with the dog who is traveling with me on Sunday. She fill out a pre printed form. She will then take this paper & the dogs passport to the La Zarota place. If all goes well I should get all the papers tomorrow or Thursday. Otherwise, I'll be back with other news.

My partner and I brought Mister the Westie down with us 3 years ago, and he's travelled back and forth between Argentina, Europe, and the US frequently. The rules vary a bit depending on where you're going. I can add data for the US if anyone needs it.

For Europe, the animal should have a microchip following EU standard. (Mister now has 2 - one for the US and one for Europe.) You'll need to take the animal to SENASA, by the Puerto, so they can verify the chip and complete the EU paperwork, based on the certificate your local Vet issues you.

Once in Europe, you may be asked to produce the paperwork on entry. We've arrived with Mister variously in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Madrid, and Paris, and I've only once been approached by anyone interested in the dog. That time an agent in Frankfurt asked me if I had the paperwork. I replied "Yes," and started to dig it out of my bag, but he waved me on.

The airlines tend to be more demanding of this documentation than the authorities. Before boarding an animal, they usually inspect all the paperwork in great detail. At Ezeiza, they make copies of it, which are reviewed by the police before the animal is boarded.

The EU now has a Pet Passport system that you can obtain at any registered Vet in the EU. It simplifies things a bit, although I'll admit that no one has ever asked to see Mister's passport (which is in Dutch!) I have found some airlines inside the EU will not board a pet that does not have the standard EU passport.

As for the elaborate Rabies tests, these are required only for the UK and a couple other countries we never visit. The required documentation is virtually impossible to obtain and then to maintain if you don't live in Europe or visit at least once a year. If you're going to continental Europe, you don't need it, so don't worry. (This was England's revenge on the EU's requirement to allow visiting pets, which had never been permitted in the UK without a long period of quarantine.)

Finally, the prohibition on 3-year Rabies tests is an Argentine law having nothing to do with regs outside Argentina. It's illegal to have a pet here that does not receive annual rabies shots. Although most other countries require innoculations only every 2 or 3 years, Argentina maintains that there is sufficient incidence of rabies here to warrant annual vaccinations.

Should your pet claw or bite anyone in Argentina, you'll be required to produce a vaccination certificate no less than 1 year old and to submit daily observation reports from your vet to the Insitute Pasteur, in the Parque Centenario, for 10 days following the incident. Failure to comply requires destruction of the pet.

Update:

Dog1: I got an SMS on Wednesday that the papers were ready. I was only able to pick them up today.

Dog 2: will travel with my husband in a couple of weeks and the vet will do the same for her. BUT, there seems to be some kind of issue & now the papers can only be done 5 days before you go instead of 10. To be honest, I didn't even get into why this is. It seems to be a temporary thing do to some kind of "mosca". My husband will go to the same vet & they will go to get the paperwork done on the required day.

jimdepalermo said:
The airlines tend to be more demanding of this documentation than the authorities. Before boarding an animal, they usually inspect all the paperwork in great detail. At Ezeiza, they make copies of it and charge an inspection fee.

In all the years I've traveled with my dogs, I've never once been asked to see any papers for them. No one, not even the airlines have ever looked at the papers. Sometimes I wonder why I go through all the process!! :)

I've not left Argentina with a pet yet so let's see on Sunday. Also, my dog flies with me in cabin. This is probably different than if they go in the hold.

Finally, the prohibition on 3-year Rabies tests is an Argentine law having nothing to do with regs outside Argentina. It's illegal to have a pet here that does not receive annual rabies shots. Although most other countries require innoculations only every 2 or 3 years, Argentina maintains that there is sufficient incidence of rabies here to warrant annual vaccinations.
My dogs have 3 year vaccinations which were done in Europe and SENSA told both me & the vet that they are valid here. I don't know which law this is you refer to. I do know you can not do the 3 year vaccine IN Argentina however. When they have to be re-vaccinated, it will be one year Argentine one.

mini said:
My dogs have 3 year vaccinations which were done in Europe and SENSA told both me & the vet that they are valid here. I don't know which law this is you refer to. I do know you can not do the 3 year vaccine IN Argentina however.

My Story:

My local vet, whom I trust, had told me that annual vaccinations are required for dogs here, so my dog was revaccinated one year after receiving a 3-year vaccination in the US. Some weeks later, a friend was housesitting and invited friends, one of whom managed to get bitten. She went to her family doctor, who followed standard protocol, so that we were served with notice to appear at the Institute Pasteur either with evidence of a current annual vaccination or to deliver the pet to the Institute. (The actual procedure is a bit more cumbersome with daily observations by a vet after presenting the vaccination certificate.)

SENASA deals with the importation of animals, and they recognize that pets visiting from abroad present no risk with 3-year vaccinations. A pet that lives here, however, needs annual vaccinations, or you risk extreme problems in a case like mine.

mini said:
Dog 2: will travel with my husband in a couple of weeks and the vet will do the same for her. BUT, there seems to be some kind of issue & now the papers can only be done 5 days before you go instead of 10. To be honest, I didn't even get into why this is. It seems to be a temporary thing do to some kind of "mosca". My husband will go to the same vet & they will go to get the paperwork done on the required day.

Your data may be more current. I last took my dog to Europe in 2007. At that time, I asked his vet for a travel certificate, which I took to SENASA. They advised me that since we were traveling to Europe, they needed to verify his microchip in order to complete the export papers, so I had to return the next day with the dog.

jimdepalermo said:
My partner and I brought Mister the Westie down with us 3 years ago, and he's travelled back and forth between Argentina, Europe, and the US frequently. The rules vary a bit depending on where you're going. I can add data for the US if anyone needs it.

For Europe, the animal should have a microchip following EU standard. (Mister now has 2 - one for the US and one for Europe.) You'll need to take the animal to SENASA, by the Puerto, so they can verify the chip and complete the EU paperwork, based on the certificate your local Vet issues you.

Once in Europe, you may be asked to produce the paperwork on entry. We've arrived with Mister variously in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Madrid, and Paris, and I've only once been approached by anyone interested in the dog. That time an agent in Frankfurt asked me if I had the paperwork. I replied "Yes," and started to dig it out of my bag, but he waved me on.

The airlines tend to be more demanding of this documentation than the authorities. Before boarding an animal, they usually inspect all the paperwork in great detail. At Ezeiza, they make copies of it and charge an inspection fee.

The EU now has a Pet Passport system that you can obtain at any registered Vet in the EU. It simplifies things a bit, although I'll admit that no one has ever asked to see Mister's passport (which is in Dutch!) I have found some airlines in the EU will not board a pet that does not have the standard EU passport.

As for the elaborate Rabies tests, these are required only for the UK and a couple other countries we never visit. The required documentation is virtually impossible to obtain and then to maintain if you don't live in Europe or visit at least once a year. If you're going to continental Europe, you don't need it, so don't worry. (This was England's revenge on the EU's requirement to allow visiting pets, which had never been permitted in the UK without a long period of quarantine.)

Should your pet claw or bite anyone in Argentina, you'll be required to produce a vaccination certificate no less than 1 year old and to submit daily observation reports from your vet to the Insitute Pasteur, in the Parque Centenario, for 10 days following the incident. Failure to comply requires destruction of the pet.

Yes, if would post the U.S. info, as you know it, that would be great!
I am going to be shipping, in cargo, my cat...and the rules change daily here...I know I need to get an update on his rabies...no less than 30 days prior to flying, and update on the 4 in 1 vaccine...and the certificate of health...its the "Lazarotto" that is the confusion...
Thanks for any help!

Evergreengal - is your cat too large to go in the cabin with you? You'll have more peace of mind if you can travel together. But there is a weight limit for the cat including the carrier of 8kilo (on Lufthansa), and the carrier has to fit under the seat in front of you.

We usually fly American and they don't allow pets in the cabin :(
I didn't know about the weight limit, in case we choose another airlines, thank you for the information!!

***Solomon is large...easily 12 - 14 pounds...for his breed, main coon, this is a normal weight :)

EvergreenGal said:
We usually fly American and they don't allow pets in the cabin :(
I didn't know about the weight limit, in case we choose another airlines, thank you for the information!!

***Solomon is large...easily 12 - 14 pounds...for his breed, main coon, this is a normal weight :)

6 kilos should be in the weigh limit. Did you check with Delta? We are flying Delta.

As for the "Lazarotta" place, this is the SENSA location in Puerto Madero. They gave me another paper. One is official looking paper, the other is just the vet's declaration that the pet is in good health.

Back