Talking To Folks Back Home About The Money Situation In Arg

I agree with the most of you that Americans have no idea but nor do most people when it comes to Argentina , much less the crazy economic situation here but this also applies to Canadians, Brits, Aussies and tons others!
I live in the heart of Europe, the former Czechoslovakia which until 1989 had a thriving black market for hard currencies and even here today when I mention it to many Czechs, they have looks on their face of"black market, what's that"??
The only people who understand such things are those with memories(something sad to say most Argentines dont have AND IM ARGENTINE) and those who live in Cuba, Iran and other such [places with active black markets
We of course can't expect others to be concerned and informed about such things but I do understand the initial WHAT YOU NEVER HEARD OF THAT!
AND VENEZUELA BOLIVARES.....CHEERS

I was reading an article recently about how various black and grey markets are on the rise in much of the world. A lot of places (Greece? Cyprus? ) are having such issues with the excessive and draconian banking regulations with all the KYC/AML push from US regulators that people are moving away from banks and official currencies. Some places are even developing their own local currencies. People may begin to understand better soon.
Argentina is just leading the pack!

As someone who has lived and worked in Argentina for 36 years now.I 'd agree with most of the above posts,especially ASADOR.the financial situation is bizarre and has been for most of the time that I have been here.there except during convertibility which was a mirage.There is a saying in Spanish."Rio revelto,ganancia de pescadores" meaning "A churned river means good fishing".In Argentina the fishermen have always been the moneyed classes.The others can "get F---ed."Sink or swim.Why should anyone,anywhere want to know about it? I travel all around Latin America and in Costa Rica,for example,they can not fathom it.Most countries with large populations and extensive,broad geograhical territories like Russia,China and Brazil (which I know well) are very similar to the U.S.respect.

What strikes me each time travelling to LatAm. Gathering a newish Hunsky notes at the various banks that I deal with is always difficult. I tell the bank's officer that Iam travelling next week so please get me new or newish Hundread dollar notes but always the chance of getting the crisp bills are very remote. But if I were to get the crisp bills in Japan, the experience is whole new affairs.
Any where in Tokyo, you can get a brand new Hunsky bills but not in America..Go figure!

I forgot about Venezuela I guess I dont have the little bird whispering into my ear like Maduro does! Hola noesdeayer!hows all with you?
This has nothing to do with the htread but although I have left Argentina, Argentina comes to me
I have had 3 tandas(turns) of Argentos at my place so it is as if I never left! My Castellano/cesky skills are getting better daily!
abrazo a todos de Praga

It's hit and miss I find.

My American/Canadian friends generally get the concept, albeit have no experience ever using/visiting one.

My friends in Colombia understand it because of what happens in VZ and the spill over media, but it's pretty
economically liberal there.

My EU friends get it more than the American/Canadian friends because of the multi currencies that existed
before the Euro.

Some friends who understand it still are shocked that you can't get USD out of an ATM, let alone not walking
in to a bank/currency exchange house.

It's more based on who has travelled, not their nationality.

Regardless, it sure is nice to see the choices of currency I can take out of the atm: GBP/EUR/USD/CAD

And, as always, anywhere on Earth, channelling Biggie/Puff Daddy/Lil' Kim, It's all about the Benjamins

new-hundred.jpg

Some time ago I listened to a Howsuffworks podcast on the Dollar. At some stage one of the podcasters exclaimed "but where are all the printed bills then?" My immediate though what's that they are in our mattresses of course. Figuratively speaking.

Not just the currency of course.
Receiving stuff through the post is a nightmare and import restrictions make it very difficult to find what you need sometimes, particularly in I.T.
Still, at least we have choripanes....

Back