Tampons Shortage Alert ...

Being surrounded by women in my family I often overhear these conversations. It struck me one day that all the women whom I know here use pads. In the US all the women whom I know use tampons. Is it a cultural / religious thing?

I'm a blokette but even that grossed me out. Many Argentine women don't like using tampons and the low demand might be the reason for the lack of them in the pharmacies. I only like to use them when I'm playing sports. Believe it or not many of my Argie friends use pads or even cotton rather than tampons.

Hence "for most who would use tampons instead of pads anyway". Both are still a terrible waste of natural resources, but I know that's not the way people think here.

Most of the Argentine women I know won't let their daughters use tampons because they think it will take away their virginity. There is nothing you can say to convince them otherwise.

My mother is from Argentina and I thank my stars every day that she left. Soon, it will be my turn...

I have used a different version of the moon cup for 15 years now - so much easier to use than the other options, and so much better for the environment. Interestingly, my Argentine sister-in-law asked me to bring her a moon cup from the US, and one for her sister as well. It never occurred to me that this could be related to a tampon shortage, but after reading this thread, it makes sense. Maybe younger Argentines are more open to alternatives to pads than they used to be?

I've been using it for about the same - my first one, which I had for 10 years, only died when I forgot that I'd left it boiling on the stove and it burnt! They are so much more comfortable, I forget about it (to the point where I panicked once and called a roommate to apologize if I'd left it on the sink... I was using it at the time but didn't realize). I also forget I'm on my period at the time.

Disposing of pads and tampons is another issue from both the waste/ ecological and just the plain "yuck!" points of view (those bins of pads and tampons in public ladies' bathrooms smell terrible, which should shock nobody. TOTALLY unhygenic, I think we can all agree).

The idea of having a pool of blood accumulating outside - but near - my body, or putting something fibrous and somewhat abrasive (often treated with bleach! No thanks - and the organic ones were very expensive before I switched) inside me and having the blood still touching me - the cup isolates it - is much more disgusting to me. I know this is a lot of information but I know few others will spell it out like that so there it is!

Many - but not all and perhaps not most - younger Argentines give me hope for the future for a variety of reasons.

i am still really surprised that so many adult argentine women don't use tampons. Young girls is another matter but still. I find it bizarre.

I feel like that perception went out of favor in the US in the by the early 80s (or late 70s?) in the US. I never heard that as a child (and I had a Catholic upbringing), except as a joke about how uneducated or backwards some people were.

I wonder why that idea still hasn't fallen out of favor here?

When I was a teen my mother told me tampons were not for virgins so I have never used one! :) I might try selling my virginity on eBay haha but I'd better not mention that I am divorced!

Back