Tango Lovers Take Note ... It's A Hit Again In Manhattan...

D.B. Cooper

Registered
Tango Lovers take note ... It's a hit again in Manhattan...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/nyregion/at-triangulo-tango-studio-buenos-aires-meets-berlin.html

For the real thing go to Confiteria Ideal. You wont regret it.
www.confiteriaideal.com

Attachments

• confiteria-ideal_966171.jpg
    confiteria-ideal_966171.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 5
indeed, I rather visit free or nearly free tango-lessons and free milongas and specially free of dummy tourists

I agree there is better tango dancing than what is found at Confiteria Ideal.

December 11 is Dia del Tango. The annual Gran Milonga on Avenida de Mayo takes place the following Saturday with three stages, orchestras, performances by dancers and singers. It's a great night to enjoy tango if the weather is nice. It's free! Starts at 20 hs and goes until 2 hs. People are dancing tango in the street.

December 11 is Dia del Tango. The annual Gran Milonga on Avenida de Mayo takes place the following Saturday with three stages, orchestras, performances by dancers and singers. It's a great night to enjoy tango if the weather is nice. It's free! Starts at 20 hs and goes until 2 hs. People are dancing tango in the street.

Thanks for letting us know. Someone here reported yesterday thatthe Gran Milonga was last night which I believe was bad info as yesterday was Spain fesitval...

Marciano,
There is nothing 'dumb' about deciding to investigate a dance that one doesn't know in the country where it was born but with other beginners from one’s own country.

As a dancer who studies Argentine Tango in BA for 6 weeks at a time after having learned and been dancing several other partnered social dances indigent to the US, I think it’s important to follow your desire to learn a dance or anything else wherever and whenever you can, and to enjoy it. Confiteria Ideal fulfils this purpose for many visitors.

Getting a little involved in the culture that one's invested his/her travel savings in produces a more special memory even if it's only one introductroy dance class.

I don't like that linked NYT article. There's nothing at all trendy about tango in NYC. For 2 decades at least, there've been weekly milongas in cities all over North America. The article seems to be a promo for a US-based instructor who has never studied Argentine Tango in BA. Personally, It's far preferablr to study tango or get one's first taste of it in BA if at all possible.

I agree there is better tango dancing than what is found at Confiteria Ideal.

Sorry for posting what I thought was the date for this annual event. I heard only today that it was held last Saturday.

Personally, It's far preferablr to study tango or get one's first taste of it in BA if at all possible.

I cannot agree more. I am here for a while and when I go back home, I think I won't take classes in my home country any more, simply because the level of teaching is much higher in Buenos Aires. If one is serious about dancing tango, he has to visit Buenos Aires once in a while. However this is only something you realise after you have experienced the difference. Naive tourists are easily satisfied.

Back