Tango Practice Partner

At this point, I have some questions, not answers.
What is it you want to learn?
When dancing tango, are you concerned more about how you feel, or about how you look to others?
How important is dancing to the music to you? What does that mean to you? Can it be taught?
The point I want to make is that people dance tango for different reasons, and in my opinion,all are valid.
When I dance tango, I try to feel the music, and dance to it as It moves me. I am in the moment,
I try to feel where my partner is and to connect with her and to move with her.
I can not think and dance at the same time. My repertoire of steps is limited.
When I take private lessons, my teacher is there primarily for corrections, to my walk,to my posture, to my embrace.
So if we were to practice together what would you want to learn?

Tango Pete,

Your post just seemed to appear, or I missed it before.

I like your questions very much. Here are some answers.
What I care about more than anything is connection... with my partner and with the music. I would MUCH rather just walk in perfect sync with my partner than do anything else, if doing something else means sacrificing that connection. Nothing turns me off faster than leaders who are dancing with themselves, lost in recreating the complicated moves that they learned in some class. I'm sure it feels as bad for men to be props for followers to show off their fancy adornments.

What I want to work on is very basic, and it is what I work on with my teachers: embrace, posture, walking, turns. My teachers make corrections, and of course I get to "practice" at milongas, but it's not the same as working with someone in a very focused way.

How important is dancing to the music? The music is everything, of course. Our moves are the physical exp<b></b>ression of the music traveling through us. Your other question is more difficult. I imagine you disagree, but I do think that musicality can be taught to an extent... just as you can be taught to appreciate painting, opera, ballet. But I think it's essential to have an underlying passion for music first. When I started tango, I was moved by the music right away... but it is nothing like the way I feel it now, after hearing these songs every day for years.

If any of what I've said interests you, please send me a PM and let's talk more.

Since there seem to be a lot of tangueros on this forum... perhaps one of you is looking for a practice partner? I am hoping to find someone who is passionate about tango and about learning. Serious, but also easy-going. If this sounds interesting, maybe we could meet at a practica and try out the connection.

I probably don't need to say this, but por las dudas, I'm only looking for dance practice. :)
I can be a great Salsa parnter, I am also learning Tango, please let me know if anyone wants to bailar Salsa, it's becoming very popular in BsAs and el mundo.

I can be a great Salsa parnter, I am also learning Tango, please let me know if anyone wants to bailar Salsa, it's becoming very popular in BsAs and el mundo.
I do not really want to dramatically change what this topic should be about, but what are good places to learn salsa in Buenos Aires? I am looking for qualified Colombians who could teach me salsa like it should be danced. Here in Europe, it just looks pathetic. I have been interested in learning the dance mostly because I have always enjoyed the music, but I don't like too much popularized, watered-down versions of the real thing.

What I care about more than anything is connection... with my partner and with the music. I would MUCH rather just walk in perfect sync with my partner than do anything else, if doing something else means sacrificing that connection. Nothing turns me off faster than leaders who are dancing with themselves, lost in recreating the complicated moves that they learned in some class. I'm sure it feels as bad for men to be props for followers to show off their fancy adornments.

How important is dancing to the music? The music is everything, of course. Our moves are the physical exp<b></b>ression of the music traveling through us. Your other question is more difficult. I imagine you disagree, but I do think that musicality can be taught to an extent... just as you can be taught to appreciate painting, opera, ballet. But I think it's essential to have an underlying passion for music first. When I started tango, I was moved by the music right away... but it is nothing like the way I feel it now, after hearing these songs every day for years.
DON'T get me started about the intimidating flocks of European women who have been looking for ''women styling'' so badly that they feel the need to make ridiculous out of sync adornos in about every moment it could theoretically be done. In practice, it means that they are leading me and not the other way around. I am a very staccato leader (however, still sensible to some space for an adorno when I feel it would be appropriate for her to do so) and I think this ''women styling'' hype is messing around with our gender roles in a terrifying way.

If you cannot submit to leading, which consists of invitations but fairly pressing invitations, why don't you sign up for a class on feminism instead of dancing tango.

About musicality... I fear that it cannot really be taught. It is after all an organic process, it's something that grows on you through listening to the music for years and more importantly, studying orchestras and musical details, and even for followers, trying to walk along the musical stories inside a tango number. I am a man, and I lead the dance, but follow the music. Sometimes I get distracted in milongas but generally I am always fully attentive to two things: the music, and the embrace. And frankly, that's all I need. Not overthrow super gancho boleo adorno back sacada bonanza. The unfortunate and rather harsh conclusion is that in case you are not surrendering yourself 100% to the music, when it does not become your passion, you are not going to be a good dancer either. Unless people insist on dancing on pop music or whatever. What could be a complicating factor is not understanding Spanish.... which is the case for most European tango dancers.

I have been studying the following song this week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pJurxCHOs

For me, it's one of these rare, but perfect songs that deeply represent what tango is for me.

About musicality... I fear that it cannot really be taught. It is after all an organic process, it's something that grows on you through listening to the music for years and more importantly, studying orchestras and musical details, and even for followers, trying to walk along the musical stories inside a tango number.

I believe we're saying the same thing. You have to start with a deep feeling for music, and for tango music in particular. But as you say, appreciation is an organic process. The more I listen to these songs, the more musical details I notice, the more I understand all the lyrics, the more they move me. It would be hard for me to post the song that touches me deepest -- that seems to constantly change. I've been obsessed with D'Agostino/Vargas at the moment... Tres Esquinas is a favorite. But I also love Caló, Biagi/Ortiz... a million others.

There is nothing better than dancing with men who are breathing the music.

I believe we're saying the same thing. You have to start with a deep feeling for music, and for tango music in particular. But as you say, appreciation is an organic process. The more I listen to these songs, the more musical details I notice, the more I understand all the lyrics, the more they move me. It would be hard for me to post the song that touches me deepest -- that seems to constantly change. I've been obsessed with D'Agostino/Vargas at the moment... Tres Esquinas is a favorite. But I also love Caló, Biagi/Ortiz... a million others.

There is nothing better than dancing with men who are breathing the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blYiJjTvTy8

For me, the most touching song of all:

Can't define one definite favorite either, if you're really talking of 'the best song I have ever heard....', because it changes every week. The one that would come close is ''Mi Dolor'' because I completely adore 3 versions of it: D'Angelis, Angel Vargas and best of all, the original by Carlos Marcucci. Look them up. A lot of people only know the first version.

Can't resist editing this post for another suggestion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7B-8T7c4s

Hi Garryl,
I do enjoy salsa, but I haven't done it in several years and would have to relearn everything. I'm sure you'd rather dance with someone at your level.

Back