Tap water doesnt quench thirst

AkBill

Registered
How is it when I'm thirsty, I can stand by the sink drinking glass after glass of tap water and not feel anything? I actually get more thirsty.

Is it like sea water which stranded sailors can't drink...do they put salt in the tap water here ? My argentine gf has a cry everytime I buy bottle water because typically argentina tap water is 'the best in the world' and it's a waste of money to buy it in a bottle. I'm about to die of dehydration. Is this a real problem or just me?

Hello
I think tap water is safe to cook, prepare tea, but I buy mineral water to drink and to prepare juice for the kids, what I know is that this water is far from being the best. I buy several bottles to have at home all the time. In Eki (supermarket) they have their own brand I can`t recall now and is good enough and not expensive at all about 1,80 or 2 pesos the bottle.
Nutritionists say we should drink almost 2 lts per day! Iam far from that.
regards
Reina

Hey, yeah the 'best tap water in the world' thing was more a play on how a lot of argentines think everything here is the best; )

It's to do with the way humans still have stone-age stimulus/response mechanisms and it's more or less the same process (with different triggers) that leads people to eat too much fast food. Essentially when you fill yourself up from the tap, you are guzzling faster than the biofeedback process (that tells you that you've had enough) can keep up with. So you drink too much.

I'm content to drink Bs As tap water, and it is perfectly safe. If the taste is not to your ...erme... taste try putting it in the refrigerator overnight. I've explained the science behind that in an earlier post which you can find from the site search function.

Meanwhile, you could try decanting the tap water into a bottle to encourage yourself to sip little and often and not let the craving build up in the first place. And if you reckon that you are always feeling thirstier than everyone else around you, get yourself checked out for diabetes.

hmm that part about diabetes is scaring me as actually there is a big history of it in my family. Who would have thought what started as a light hearted thread on baexpats could lead to a serious medical condition

If there's history in your family check it out. Soon. People with diabetes who do something about it generally live long, fulfilling, healthy lives - just like everyone else.

not so sure i would trust the tap water anywhere, including argentina. i use a water filter and even though the tap water comes out clean from the faucet, the filter turns a dark brown after only moderate usage.

i've also had conversations with argentines who never allow their children to drink tap water, especially not immediately from the tap. at the very least, let the water stand several hours in order to reduce the chlorine. boiling and then drinking is probably even better.

if chlorinated water is not good for house plants, then it's probably also not a good idea for human consumption.

AkBill said:
Hey, yeah the 'best tap water in the world' thing was more a play on how a lot of argentines think everything here is the best; )

What like their sidewalks? Or the quality of their plumbing? And who can forget the nightly trash...

ahhh the best!

When I went to school ( in Argentina) the teachers told us about chlorine in the water around Buenos Aires. They said it was because it came from Rio de la Plata and the water from the river had a lot of "sedimentos" from the river. As the tap water mainly taste to chlorine, I suggest to boil it and, to be more meticulous, filter it before drinking. You can add a little spoon of bicarbonate of sodium and it will taste like bottled water. Good luck! And I also keep feeling thirsty after drinking tap water.

Back