tax for foreigners

If you buy a property in Argentina..you pay a small amount of wealth tax on the value of your property each year (everyone who owns property here has to do that, even tourists). But you will pay no other tax.

Actually, the wealth tax doesn't apply to everyone. who owns property here. I have permanent residency, but I don't pay the wealth tax (bienes personales). This is because I occupy the property (it's the only one I own) and the deduction/threshold to pay the tax is much higher than the current valuation.

I am not sure if tourists (non-residents) who own property in Argentina are eligible for any "deduction" or of they must pay the wealth tax form zero.

....But you will pay no other tax.

In addition to the bienes personales wealth tax payable to AFIP, there is also a property tax payable to ABL in CABA and ARBA in the province of Buenos Aires. I also pay a small monthly municipal tax.

Last edited:
I don't pay the wealth tax (bienes personales)...because...the deduction/threshold to pay the tax is much higher than the current valuation (of my property).

In 2019 I had to have an accountant make the bienes personales declarations for 2017 and 2018 after I discovered I could not make a copy of the constancia of my CUIT on line. I had not received any kind of notice from AFIP and I had not made any declarations since the tax year 2008. .

After I discovered that my account was blocked I went to the closest office of AFIP where I was told I needed to make the declarations for the past seven years. However, "my" accountant (who works for several of my friends who own businesses) told me I would only have to make the declarations for the two previous years. My AFIP account was immediately unblocked after she submitted the declarations.

She charged less than $60 USD for each declaration. Not only was I happy to only have pay for two declarations, I was even happier when she told me I would not have to make declarations in the future.

I am not sure if tourists (non-residents) who own property in Argentina are eligible for any "deduction" or of they must pay the wealth tax form zero.

The last time I checked (in 2019), the deduction/threshold for the bienes personales was $900.000 pesos. But, as indicated in my previous post, I don't know if tourists who own property in Argentina qualify for this exemption or if they must pay the bienes personales from a base line of zero, or, even if they are eligible, if the amount of the exemption has increased in the past two years.

PS: If I remember correctly, two years ago the exemption for residents who occupied their only property was about $14.000.000 pesos.

Are there any caveats to the 183 day rule in Argentina? This video below seems to say that the 183 day rules around the world sometimes have other ways that they might get triggered:

No.
The new regulation of AFIP cannot be understood without this case of the International Court:
This nee regulation look to avoid double taxation and is though for litigation among countries where you declare you tax address in Bahamas but you live here. So, Argentina goes for the money laundry asserts to repatriate them. It is all about that.

Back