Teaching Conversational English in BA

Chanda

Registered
I´d like to teach conversational English in BA. Is there much demand for this? Does anyone know someone who has succeeded in this endeavor? If so, how did they become successful?

Thanks,

Chanda

No offense but what do you think the thousands of expat teachers are teaching, Shakepeare?

There is a demand. The pay is not generally very good and many people (not all) have to work with several companies to get enough hours. You can expect to run around a lot. There are countries that pay very well for English teachers. I have several friends that did this in S. Korea and came back with a lot of savings.

I am an English teacher, and although I am not reading Shakespeare, my classes are not all conversational. Frankly, I have students who say they want conversation but it gets old quickly. You will inevitably need to teach grammar, idioms, phrasal verbs, etc in order to move beyond talking about politics every day.

chilady said:
I am an English teacher, and although I am not reading Shakespeare, my classes are not all conversational. Frankly, I have students who say they want conversation but it gets old quickly. You will inevitably need to teach grammar, idioms, phrasal verbs, etc in order to move beyond talking about politics every day.

Good point Chilady ...I stand corrected and this is useful advice for the OP since they will need to advertise clearly and specifically to an audience demographic that has these basics.

Back