Techie Thread. Streaming Media

Damn son

you're hardcore, niiiiice.

What i'm looking at looks like this

acer-AspireRevo+Monitor_235H_01-218-85_450.jpg

It's not a netbook, they call them nettops although it runs on a netbook grade CPU albeit a pretty good one.

The problem is there are some really mixed reviews with regards to the revo and the eee box and im not sure which one is really better since their specs are almost identical.

As far as the Zotac MAG, its basically barebones so I can choose to install my own OS of choice without all the bloatware and the asrock is probably the most solid option but its too big to mount on the back of my lcd.

so its basically between the three first options.

I actually considered setting up a dedicated pc or laptop but it takes up a little too much space. although it probably would be the best option especially for tru 1080p playback.

pauper said:
I just recycled a dead windows desktop that we were about to try to sell or throw away. Its a pretty ugly looking thing behind the tv but for the moment functionality is the priority. It runs Freevo media centre software on Ubuntu which accesses local media from a hard drive on the LAN in our office, the only drawback is it has a crappy old hard drive thats noisy but I'm looking at installing everything on a CF card and using a CF to IDE adapter so there will be no noise. We play local music and movies, stream radio and video and have incorporated a web browser, and a few retro game emulators and its all controlled by a wii remote - if you can get hold of an infrared light source this makes a very useful mouse.

I guess the advantage of a standard desktop PC is that its much more flexible in terms of upgrades over time but I guess the netbooks would work out cheaper initially unless you can source some cheap hardware thats no longer cutting edge but still up to the job.

Freevo can be a headache to configure but its really flexible - and it runs well on low spec machines, there are sexier alternatives out there like Boxee, Enna and Linux MCE.

SaraSara said:
Does anyone know how to watch PBS? I miss Masterpiece Theatre and Nova.

Please, plain English and whole words only - I'm a certified cybermoron and all that technical lingo is like Sansrit to me.

I actually looked it up. I can't find Masterpiece theater ( it's called Masterpiece now )

I found Nova though, but only the latest episodes from 2010

I'll pm you the link

but keep it on the hush ;)

I just brought down a new Mac Mini and Drobo drive array for my HTPC. I use Automatic for the Mac to download all my TV shows via bittorrent and am using Plex as the home media center software. I love it!

I did some research on the PC based HTPC options and they were definitely cheaper, but I loved the Plex software (Mac only) more than Boxee and XMBC. Streaming in Argentina has been a major pain in the ass because of the connection speeds, so I decided I'd rather download the shows first via torrents. (I also have a Slingbox in the States that has been pretty useless, though I do watch some sports on it.)

Check out the Lifehacker.com and Engadget.com sites for some reviews on HTPC setups as well as automatic TV show downloaders for PCs. TED (torrent episode downloader) is one I used for awhile - http://www.ted.nu )

Aren't you worried about the cinavia DRM ? It is already preloaded in all the BluRays and Sony has it preloaded as well ( including the ps3 :( ).

I think Apple might be the next to join the bandwagon. I considered the mac mini and the dell mini as well. But im afraid apple might go DRM as well

I have a 5 mbps connection and to be honest, my connection speeds are great. I usually play MW2 on ps3 online, download two warez simultaneously and stream video on my laptop all with out lag.

Question about the torrents, don't you find them slow compared to warez ? I always found them frustratingly slow compared to megaupload. I mean with a megaupload premium account I can download 1 gb in about 10 minutes.

Lol, dude. I'm a member of engadget and lifehacker, ( and dont forget gizmodo or xda developers ). That is what is so confusing, all the mixed reviews.

Most of what im reading says the aspire revo is better for 1080p playback, but it sucks as far as web browsing. And they say the eee box is slightly better at web browsing etc.

Sleuth said:
I just brought down a new Mac Mini and Drobo drive array for my HTPC. I use Automatic for the Mac to download all my TV shows via bittorrent and am using Plex as the home media center software. I love it!

I did some research on the PC based HTPC options and they were definitely cheaper, but I loved the Plex software (Mac only) more than Boxee and XMBC. Streaming in Argentina has been a major pain in the ass because of the connection speeds, so I decided I'd rather download the shows first via torrents. (I also have a Slingbox in the States that has been pretty useless, though I do watch some sports on it.)

Check out the Lifehacker.com and Engadget.com sites for some reviews on HTPC setups as well as automatic TV show downloaders for PCs. TED (torrent episode downloader) is one I used for awhile - http://www.ted.nu )

AlexfromLA said:
Aren't you worried about the cinavia DRM ? It is already preloaded in all the BluRays and Sony has it preloaded as well ( including the ps3 :( ).

I think Apple might be the next to join the bandwagon. I considered the mac mini and the dell mini as well. But im afraid apple might go DRM as well

The Mac Mini does not have BlueRay and no one seems to know when Apple will support it, but that was not really an issue for me as I was not really planning on using it here. I don't think anything I download will ever give me a problem here. Also, Apple is not (currently) supporting the new UltraViolet DRM format, so that may be good news.

AlexfromLA said:
I have a 5 mbps connection and to be honest, my connection speeds are great. I usually play MW2 on ps3 online, download two warez simultaneously and stream video on my laptop all with out lag.

I'm waiting on my second 3mbps line from Arnet (one from Fibertel already), so hopefully with the dual-WAN Cisco router I brought, that will give me some better speeds.

AlexfromLA said:

The Mac Mini does not have BlueRay and no one seems to know when Apple will support it, but that was not really an issue for me as I was not really planning on using it here. I don't think anything I download will ever give me a problem here. Also, Apple is not (currently) supporting the new UltraViolet DRM format, so that may be good news.

AlexfromLA said:
Question about the torrents, don't you find them slow compared to warez ? I always found them frustratingly slow compared to megaupload. I mean with a megaupload premium account I can download 1 gb in about 10 minutes.

To be honest, I have never really used megaupload. I like Automatic and the torrents because I can just select to download an entire season of a show and forget about it. I do not need to watch the show the same night it airs in the States, but I usually have the show by the time I wake up in the morning. (For example, last night's Hung and True Blood were both downloaded this morning.)

AlexfromLA said:

AlexfromLA said:
Lol, dude. I'm a member of engadget and lifehacker, ( and dont forget gizmodo or xda developers ). That is what is so confusing, all the mixed reviews.

Most of what im reading says the aspire revo is better for 1080p playback, but it sucks as far as web browsing. And they say the eee box is slightly better at web browsing etc.

Yeah, the reviews can be a bit confusing. I know the Mac Mini is overpriced for what I am using it for, but I liked the ease of use and the software, plus I plan to set up Skype in the living room so I can video conference from there. I also figured I can always resell or reuse that Mac a lot easier than other equipment.

All the studios are using Cinavia DRM now. It is a high frequency inaudible audio watermark. That means all the new movie torrents you download already have it. It's hidden and we haven't found a hack for it yet. All the major studios are using it these days. The software basically sniffs out the inaudible watermark and stops the video from playing since that watermark renders it playable only on professional movie theater grade equipment. It is being preinstalled in all Blu Rays and they say Apple will also add compatibility with it's products. By the end of 2010 if Apple updates it's firmware to become Cinavia compliant, all your torrents will become unusable. Just a heads up. I didn't believe it until june 29 when all my warez became unplayable on my PS3 with ps3's latest 3.4 firmware update.

----

I saw Hung last night about an hour after it aired on megavideo and simultaneously downloaded it on megaupload. It's the same as a torrent, it's just faster. Most people don't do torrents anymore because they are so slow compared to paid server downloads like megaupload. You should check it out, it really is worth it. With it's batch download manager, you can also download unlimited warez at the same time.

Yeah the mac mini is expensive for what it offers, do you have the old model with no hdmi out or the brand new one ? I used to love Skype but f*cuk them, they just screwed me over by discontinuing compatibility with fring, plus they want to start charging per minute for 3G calls and they still don't have an Android app and they still don't support video conferencing on smartphones.

Most people I know don't use skype on their desktops anymore thats archaic when all you need is an app for your smartphone and you can take skype with you everywhere and use it on your 3g network and wifi connection. Well I used to be able to do that on my Droid and my Nexus One, but as of 2 weeks ago, the bastards at skype pulled the plug on Fring, the only viable app that allowed you to use your skype account to perform all these functions. They basically sold out to verizon in an exclusive USA only deal that allows verizon to charge per minute while you use your skype account. It is in effect double dipping.

Seriously, once google voice becomes a viable alternative, im cancelling my skype account , open source my ass. I am currently using the truphone app now and paying an extra 17 a month for it.

Im still fuming. As you can tell.

In one month, two of my favorite companies ( sony and skype ) sold out to the man. Lets just say June was a bad month for me

haha.

Back to the HTPC. I think ive decided on the Eee Box. You just can't beat the build quality and as long as I stick to 720p on it and use the ps3 for the 1080p I should be fine. Now I just have to find a viable wireless keyboard option.

I'm currently looking at this sexy beast right now. But again the reviews have me second guessing. It seems there are some interference issues due to its bluetooth adapter. I would hate for it to interfere with my streaming or online game play.

I have to do some more research on it before I make a final decision.

Logitech-diNovo-Edge.jpg

Sleuth said:

I'm waiting on my second 3mbps line from Arnet (one from Fibertel already), so hopefully with the dual-WAN Cisco router I brought, that will give me some better speeds.

To be honest, I have never really used megaupload. I like Automatic and the torrents because I can just select to download an entire season of a show and forget about it. I do not need to watch the show the same night it airs in the States, but I usually have the show by the time I wake up in the morning. (For example, last night's Hung and True Blood were both downloaded this morning.)

Yeah, the reviews can be a bit confusing. I know the Mac Mini is overpriced for what I am using it for, but I liked the ease of use and the software, plus I plan to set up Skype in the living room so I can video conference from there. I also figured I can always resell or reuse that Mac a lot easier than other equipment.

Hahah. Oh boy. Do I have egg on my face. It seems Sony just updated it's firmware today to 3.41

Megavideo is again supported :eek:

So now I can stream most media again. But I still can't get past the Cinavia DRM. So it looks like I still need the HTPC.

At least Sony isn't locking down the internet as previously stated. They are only locking down media that is currently in movie theaters.

--------------

Hey Sleuth, Do you have Cablevision or DirectTV ?

I currently have directtv, but I am considering cancelling it because I don't really even use it. I mean the only thing I use it for is to watch Fox News. Everything else can be viewed online.

Just wondering if anyone has taken the plunge to internet only tv. I'm a little apprehensive myself even though I already get 95% of my media online and I know it's the future, it's still hard to cut the cord entirely.

Great thread, lots to keep me busy when I get back from vacation and having recently moved into the world of PS3 Media Server I am going to now look into streaming etc with megavideo. Its such a shame NetFlix doesnt is restricted to the states grrrr. Any of you techies a fan of TRS or Diggnation on Revision3?

Yes paddy. I have a full year premium membership to Megavideo ( which also includes megaupload for unlimited downloaded at top speeds ). Lol, I sound like I have stock in this company haha

I pay $ 60 bucks a year or $ 5 bucks a month. It completely replaces my cable TV except for Fox News. What's more, I can watch stuff anywhere in the world that can only be seen in the US. I get hourly updates, that means a show that just aired live in the US and is only viewable in the US, I can watch an hour later. And I have the option of either downloading it in varying resolutions and formats or watching it streamed on megavideos servers. Internet tv is the FUTURE. And the cable companies know it which is why they are trying to lock it down.

I would have most definitely used netflix or the newer hulu option but they are both backwards companies that want to lock their content to US only subscribers. SO I can only watch it when im in the US.

* Yeah I've watched diggnation, its pretty good. You should really check out gizmodo, engadget and lifehacker.

Google Maps for Android just got an update today to 4.4

It adds the Places app which basically gives you an English language guiaoleo that includes mapping and reviews of restaurants. It also locates coffee shops, bars, attractions, hotels, atm's and gas stations ( thank you ).

It works perfectly for Buenos Aires.

Thank you Google ( and by google I mean their developers too ). You've just made my life that much easier. :)

google-maps-android-places.jpg

Back