Technical Internet/tv Question

Switching to a 5Ghz router can help, but only if your local wifi connection is the bottleneck. If you face the low download rates with a cable connection, it won't help anything. If, however, you live in an apartment complex for example with every neighbor using Wifi, the channels can be overloaded, which leads to a lot of collisions/packet losses and thus poor speed/connectivity. The good thing here: nobody uses 5Ghz, so if the local Wifi pollution is an issue, you'll most likely be the only one on the frequency band. You can find free tools for PC/Mac/Smartphone to check how many different Wifis are competing with yours.
I live in a private home, so if I understand correctly what you said, 5ghz wouldn't help me. Also the Speakeasy test I mentioned indicates that the problem is with Fibertel not my wifi.

Assuming there are not a lot of Wifi networks in direct reach, no, unfortunately it won't.

Your only option is probably to upgrade to Fibertel Evolution. This has solved all my streaming issues, though it is faster in the daytime than evening too.

I tried using a VPN + Hulu awhile back but the VPN kept getting shut down. Can anyone recommend one that works consistently?

Your only option is probably to upgrade to Fibertel Evolution. This has solved all my streaming issues, though it is faster in the daytime than evening too.

what are the real speeds u get?

how much you pay for every month?

I have to keep saying - use Unotelly - http://www.unotelly.com/unodns/

It's a DNS changer, not a VPN so does not slow anything down.

I get 30 Mbps - within Argentina. :)

To the US I usually get 6 Mbps and up. I had 6 Mbps with Fibertel before and even though you may think it's about the same, what Evolution did was get rid of my latency issues. I can download torrents, stream music, watch Netflix, etc and it works great. I think this is because it's DOCSIS 3.0.

DOCSIS 3.0: While most cable modems already in use today are adequate, many are unable to transmit and receive data at the maximum rates available from your cable Internet service provider. Modems equipped with DOCSIS 3.0 technology, however, are able to support up to 320 Mbps data rates. DOCSIS 3.0 bonds up to eight downstream channels and four upstream channels, allowing for speeds up to eight times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 modems. This makes gaming, shopping, downloading, working, video streaming, and video conferencing faster and more efficient.

I don't have my cable bill with me to break it out, but with basic cable and Evolution, my costs are about $580 per month.

I get 30 Mbps - within Argentina. :)

To the US I usually get 6 Mbps and up. I had 6 Mbps with Fibertel before and even though you may think it's about the same, what Evolution did was get rid of my latency issues. I can download torrents, stream music, watch Netflix, etc and it works great. I think this is because it's DOCSIS 3.0.

DOCSIS 3.0: While most cable modems already in use today are adequate, many are unable to transmit and receive data at the maximum rates available from your cable Internet service provider. Modems equipped with DOCSIS 3.0 technology, however, are able to support up to 320 Mbps data rates. DOCSIS 3.0 bonds up to eight downstream channels and four upstream channels, allowing for speeds up to eight times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 modems. This makes gaming, shopping, downloading, working, video streaming, and video conferencing faster and more efficient.

I don't have my cable bill with me to break it out, but with basic cable and Evolution, my costs are about $580 per month.

DOH! In San Diego, Cox cable was charging me like 120 USD per month for basic phone and mid-grade internet, no TV at all. Compared to that, 580 pesos seems like a steal.

A little off topic -
The speakers on my computer pick up something that sounds like it might be a local radio station if they are on and not being used by a program (playing music or something). Actually the TV here does the same thing if its plugged in and not turned on.
I am wondering if this a wide spread problem of just my poor choice of apartment.

Back