Teen mothers and single parents

"jicassochica" said:
Auntieapple is completely right, the US has the highest percentage of teenage pregnancies out of all western industrialized nations, twice that of Britain and six times that of Japan. Looking at the Syngirl’s statistics…there seems to be small percentage difference between the US and here and the US does not nearly suffer the socioeconomic issues that are present in this country. And we are pointing the finger at Argentina?

This of course could be a subject of a separate thread, but I have to comment regarding danc’s comment on T&A in BA. Hands down, US is king when it comes to ‘dumbed down’ media, i.e. E Entertainment and everything WB (guilty…for I do indulge time to time) and to think we export this *bleep* all over the world…no wonder people think were idiots…my apologizes. However to counteract this, there is also some very intelligent media in the US, led by strong female role models not shaped by what certain segments of the society believe they should look like or should be.

I do not claim to be an expert on Argentine media, but I have to give equal criticism. Watching a butchered version of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ (supposedly a family show) where there is a tight and prolonged shot of each female’s ass as the norm, or T&A working it in the background in what looks like a kid’s show does come somewhat as a shock. I might add, this seems to be the norm in many Latin shows not just Argentina and seems to be perfectly acceptable. I can’t help but think how would people react to a brassy female comedian or a black overweight talk show host, like Oprah here in Argentina? There just doesn’t seem to be that many platforms in the media that stray away from what is most desirable in the eyes of men.

Pleaseeeeeeeee correct me if I am wrong. I am curious to hear how Argentine women feel about this. Do they feel that they are fairly represented in the media?
2 words: Nazarena Velez
The girls I know, think that the guys are to blame, as they buy that shit.
Maybe you can talk about the US at www.expatsintheUSA.com and leave it here to Argentina?

Well, about the summer jobs thing -- I don't see why an upper class Argentine girl / guy shouldn't take a job "mucking in the stables" just as Auntieapple did in England. Polo is the high class world, to me it should be acceptable for a teenager to work there, after all if it were someone that is riding horses, shouldn't they be learning all about looking after said horse as well!
And you would think that families here would be all for hiring educated girls to look after their kids in the summer -- at home that's part of the appeal, getting someone who can speak foreign languages etc.
I'm not saying all kids should be working after school and cutting into studying time, I'm saying that rather than hanging out a Unicenter, Peru Beach, and the summer house and spending all their parents money, a lot of these middle to upper class kids would benefit from taking a summer job -- or like we did at home, if you wanted to spend your time hanging out at the sailing club, you got your instructor's certificate and taught there -- same with at the mountains for skiing. Of course instructors courses require some investment on behalf of the parent, but in the end you're helping your child achieve a certification and then be able to work. There are a lot of environments that the middle to upper class spend time in where I think it would be acceptable / encouraged to work at.

"syngirl" said:
Well, about the summer jobs thing -- I don't see why an upper class Argentine girl / guy shouldn't take a job "mucking in the stables" just as Auntieapple did in England. Polo is the high class world, to me it should be acceptable for a teenager to work there, after all if it were someone that is riding horses, shouldn't they be learning all about looking after said horse as well!
And you would think that families here would be all for hiring educated girls to look after their kids in the summer -- at home that's part of the appeal, getting someone who can speak foreign languages etc.
I'm not saying all kids should be working after school and cutting into studying time, I'm saying that rather than hanging out a Unicenter, Peru Beach, and the summer house and spending all their parents money, a lot of these middle to upper class kids would benefit from taking a summer job -- or like we did at home, if you wanted to spend your time hanging out at the sailing club, you got your instructor's certificate and taught there -- same with at the mountains for skiing. Of course instructors courses require some investment on behalf of the parent, but in the end you're helping your child achieve a certification and then be able to work. There are a lot of environments that the middle to upper class spend time in where I think it would be acceptable / encouraged to work at.
Unless your parents have a lot of contacts there are no summer jobs

Regarding comparing matters in countries and only mentioning the United States of America on www.expatsintheUSA.com . A question was posted at the beginning of this topic and it was "Why are there so many teen pregancies and single parents in the new generation of Argentina?". In order for that question to have a point here on baexpats.com then there MUST be compared to other countries many teen pregnancies and single parents in Argentina. Otherwise that question would be as intelligent as the question "Why does one pound weigh 0,4536 kilograms in Argentina", therefor a real question arises and that is if there indeed are many teen pregnancies and single parents in Argentina as compared to other countries. That is a question that really can't be answered due to the fact that "many" is a relative word but regardless of that the question has not been answered. I myself have looked a little bit for statistics and try to find a comparison between Argentina and other countries but I have been unsuccessful. But back to the original topic, there is nothing abnormal about comparing the situation in Argentina to the situation in other countries when it comes up in conversation. This here is an expat site not a philosophy site so it's only natural to assume that when somebody asks "Why are things like this here" that the person is really asking "Why are things like this here and not like they are back home" and it is therefor natural that conversations developes around asking if things really are different here and then why they are so.

Back