TEFL in Buenos Aires

london2ba

Registered
I have decided to do the TEFL but have a few questions. I am looking into online options and some courses run by English Schools. I am currently volunteering at an English School for extra experience.
What is the minimum requirement of TEFL components to be able to say you are a 'qualified TEFL English teacher'? It's hard to work out what this means but I see it used a lot by other people.
Has anyone done a TEFL whilst in Buenos Aires and if so how much did it cost and how long did it take?

Thanks!
p.s. I know it is possible to work without the TEFL but I don't feel comfortable doing it that way.

I took mine in the UK,it was 210 pounds ,although that was 3 years ago.

TEFL-qualified means you have received a TEFL certificate. The school I taught at required applicants to provide a copy of the certificate, but I doubt many other schools do. I received mine from the American university where I also received my M.A. in TESOL. My program was great, and involved courses in pedagogy, linguistics, grammar, assessment, and research, as well as required classroom observations and student teaching. For this reason, I HIGHLY recommend not taking some online course... my hunch is that they are moneymakers that will leave you unprepared for real classrooms. But then, I also think doing TEFL in BA is a huge rip-off... you pay what, $1000 or so for the certificate and a "guaranteed job," but that job will most likely be about 20 hours a week, paying 30 pesos an hour. If you're serious about teaching English as a career, invest in a program at a respected university, which will broaden your job opportunities in other countries where English teachers are given generous contracts and working conditions.

london2ba said:
What is the minimum requirement of TEFL components to be able to say you are a 'qualified TEFL English teacher'?

would it be accepted by any decent school.

I've known people doing distance learning/online courses they were happy with until it was laughed out of the interview room when they got round to applying for jobs.

Get in touch with a few reputable schools (IH, British Council, Wall Street) and ask whether they accept the XYZ certificate you want to do. You'll find the majority of decent schools don't accept much past the RSA and Trinity ones.

You may want to at least look into the possibility of finding a teaching job without certification. I can personally attest to the fact that it's possible. I have neither a certificate nor any EFL teaching experience and was able to find a fantastic job with a small but wonderful institute. My own good fortune may not be representative (I do have a bit of high school and university teaching experience), but I'd say that it's worthwhile to send your CV off to at least a few institutes to test the waters before you commit thousands of pesos to getting certified.

Hey,

You can do any amount of TEFL training, to be TEFL qualified. The most basic amount of training you can do is 20 hours which would introduce you to the TEFL world and gives you basic skills. Employers will want to see that you've done at least 120 hours of TEFL training, this would put you in a better position to find good jobs at more respected school and you would also be more likely to be able to negiotiate pay with potential employers.

For more information on the online TEFL courses which would qualifiy you to teach you may want to download a free copy of TEFL Uncovered - which will give you loads of help and advice:

http://www.onlinetefl.com/contact-tefl-team/tefl-ebook.html

Good luck!

It seems from what you say and everything I have read now that there is 'TEFL experience' = anything over 20 hours and then a 'TEFL certificate' = 120 hours.

I almost did the first part of the TEFL in London on a recent trip home, still around the same price as Howard mentioned £210 but for the full certificate it is closer to £800.
I have found schools range from £650 - 1500 for 120 hours, in BsAs at reputable schools, so I plan to check these out and if they are as good quality as they claim to be, wouldn't feel too ripped off at the lower end of the scale.

Thanks all for your replies, it has helped point me in the right direction! I have been putting this off for a year now, thinking it was expensive here in BsAs and that the pay at the end would be starting around 30 pesos but now I'm enjoying my voluntary work at the English School. I know people working as an English Teacher here for 60 pesos an hour with no TEFL experience so I know it's possible but I feel they are selling people short. Working in a school has made me realise the skills that are required to teach your native language, that you use unconsciously, to someone else.

I'm looking forward to it!

Back