Temaiken

MattyR

Registered
My wife and I took advice of the boards here and went to Temaiken at the weekend. I have to say what a fantastic place, as good as any zoo I've seen worldwide on my travels (just no elephants!) In beautiful surroundings with lovely walking areas and seriously well kept its a real gem.

We bought annual passes for 125 pesos each rather than paying 68 pesos each just for the day. Our pass gives us discount in the Temaiken shop and the ability to bring one guest each free in the future (just one time per year) so its a no brainer to get really.

I seriously recommend anyone who hasnt been to go.

So, the last 2 weekends we have been on the Tren de la Costa to Tigre and now a trip to Temaiken as a result of recommendations. Next weekend I'm thinking the Palermo lakes and rose gardens?

Any other suggestions for a weekend trip!

M&A

MattyR said:
My wife and I took advice of the boards here and went to Temaiken at the weekend. I have to say what a fantastic place, as good as any zoo I've seen worldwide on my travels (just no elephants!) In beautiful surroundings with lovely walking areas and seriously well kept its a real gem.

We bought annual passes for 125 pesos each rather than paying 68 pesos each just for the day. Our pass gives us discount in the Temaiken shop and the ability to bring one guest each free in the future (just one time per year) so its a no brainer to get really.

I seriously recommend anyone who hasnt been to go.

So, the last 2 weekends we have been on the Tren de la Costa to Tigre and now a trip to Temaiken as a result of recommendations. Next weekend I'm thinking the Palermo lakes and rose gardens?

M&A

Yes, you're right - I've been there a bunch of times. It's great. A pocket of the first world high quality expectations in Argentina.

Plus Munchi's every ten feet in the zoo!

One of my favorite parts isn't the zoo itself, but how it's a social hangout for teenagers. It's just wonderful: growing up in suburban NY, I would have never dreamed of going to the zoo to hang out with my friends!

San Antonio de Areco is a popular day trip destination. Beautiful old architecture, super-friendly locals, and many cute shops and platerias to browse in. My favorite place is this little cheese shop where the owner makes it all by hand; we end up toting tons of it back to BA.

starlucia said:
San Antonio de Areco is a popular day trip destination. Beautiful old architecture, super-friendly locals, and many cute shops and platerias to browse in. My favorite place is this little cheese shop where the owner makes it all by hand; we end up toting tons of it back to BA.
yes I agree Starlucia.we went for the day and it was lovely,scenery,museums,rivulets.very good day out:)

Just to follow-up on the Temaiken rec, we went today and thought it was amazing. I'd highly recommend going during the week as you'll feel like you have the whole park to yourself. Half-price Tuesday is great, and I'd guess that there were no more than 50 other people there with us today, at the most.

One food hint, though, is that even though you're not supposed to bring in outside food, you may want to pack some with you "just in case." As in, just in case every restaurant is closed! We arrived a bit late in the day (3pm) and were only able to find one place in the whole park still open, and I think they closed at 4pm. Something to keep in mind, especially if you're spending the day with kids.

Haven't been there in years. Do they still show that movie about how God created earth in 7 days?... How about those self-serving, pervy bats? :p

j/k ... love Temaiken! hope to go back again. ;)

The sea aquarium in San Clemente del Yuyu (Mundo del Mar) has also a wild animal park (included in the ticket).
OF course there are no big carnivores, mostly local species, lots of local ostriches with egg nests, chicks, etc. Great for kids, the tour is on powered trams.

Is Temaiken easily reached by public transportation? What about other places listed here? We won't be there until August, but I'm already making a list of great places to go (especially with kids)!

BAwithkids said:
Is Temaiken easily reached by public transportation? What about other places listed here? We won't be there until August, but I'm already making a list of great places to go (especially with kids)!

If you come from Capital, go to Plaza Italia and take the "Chevallier Costera Metropolitana" --> will drop you right in front of the entrance
http://www.temaiken.com.ar/planea_tu_visita_consejos_servicios.php

BAwithkids said:

Yes, you can go to Plaza Italia (Av Sarmiento and Santa Fe) and take the 60 ramal Escobar - there is a "servicio rápido" or "semirrápido" that is good and leaves you very close to the door.

With kids you can go to the Museo Participativo de Ciencias www.mpc.org.ar where it´s "forbidden not to touch". It´s inside the Centro Cultural Recoleta, and my nephew and niece loved it.

Back