Temporary Rental Contract Advice

I can see no reason why the owner would mind the renter having an occasional guest - and I see no reason why she would use the excuse of the building consortium if it were her reasons to begin with. It may seem strict and unreasonable, but I can say from experience that having loud, disruptive neighbors SUCKS.

I'm not saying that King_Pair would be loud and noisy, but I can certainly understand why the building consortium would have that issue. My wife is involved with preparing and renting temporary apartments with a friend of mine who runs the business. You wouldn't believe the crap that they find in these apartments - evidence of massive parties and sometimes (so it seems) massive orgies. I would not want to live in a building that had a temporary rental in it for that reason, unless it was a big building and I wasn't near.

I agree with Crema and Lucha that it shouldn't be a problem, until noise is actually a problem. It may be that you could go and talk to the consortium (I doubt the owner would be very happy about it unless she took you herself) and find out how they would feel. Also, her clause in the contract does indeed seem to specific to not having anyone in the house, which is similar, but not exact, to what the phrase from the bylaws says.

As King_Pair mentions, only the last part of the quoted bylaws seem to have any reference to the problem, and it's possible that the owner is taking that to extremes, but I do find it interesting that the bylaws specifically say to house anyone to which you would sublet the apartment in a hotel or other short-term guest housing.

I don't know that getting involved with the consortium would do anything for you, and if you can't convince the owner that having an occasional guest is OK, then it's back to whether or not you want to risk the relationship if there's any fallout.

BTW - another reason for someone not wanting anyone to stay in the apartment aside from the renter (or whoever else may be listed on the contract, I assume), may have to do with keys to the building. I don't know if there's a portero there, but I can imagine that someone staying as long as a week would have their own key made and if they aren't directly responsible for the contract, the consortium might feel that anyone else is likely to be as careful with making sure the door is locked, or letting unknown people enter behind them, or what-have you.

Sounds strict and unreasonable. I would rent it and have the family over - I doubt the neighbors would even notice or complain as long as your family isn't loud or a bother to them.

Is there a building president or someone in charge there you could ask about the rules? I suppose I would try to get to the bottom of whether it's the owner that doesn't want you to have guests (and just using the clause as an excuse) or if she genuinely fears getting in trouble with the comunidad.

The Porteros work for the Lanlady.... ! she will know everything the next morning as to who was there, how often, noises, age, sex, etc.
Some buildings are VERY strict about tenants that may be involved in illegal activities, Prostitution, Drugs, etc. The Consorcio Association can send a legal carta documento to the Landlady, blaming her for not complying with the building Policies.

It'd be more reasonable if he was just going to rent for a couple weeks or a month or two... but since his intention is to stay for a year and half, not being allowed to have any overnight guests at all is ridiculous, in my opinion. He can't even have a girlfriend spend the night? It's stricter than a single sex university dorm room. :p

Maybe the landlady is just super protective of her apartment and doesn't want other people 'living' there - people that could squat or cause trouble. I can't imagine an apartment building being so strict as to not allow any of the renters overnight guests.

That's why I said I would want to get to the bottom of the issue... if it's the landlady being very picky, then it might be best to pass. You don't know what else she's going to have issues with. If she personally is okay with you having guests (if the building allowed it) then it might be worth your while to consult with those in charge of enacting and enforcing the rules.

My theory, with the limited info here, is that she wants to cut her risk as much as possible and that is why she's giving you a good price and has strict rules. For me, not being allowed to have a friend or family member spend the night would be non-negotiable. Then again, if you love the apartment, maybe with the money you save you can put them up in decent hotel nearby.... or maybe you'll get lucky and after some time living there and getting to know the people in the building, you can ask about having family stay over.

For one of the apartments that I manage the administration has very strict rules about overnight guests. He was able to get approval for short-term renters by 1) requiring all overnight visitors to provide photocopies of DNI or Passports and 2) putting a camera inside the apartment pointed at the front door with a feed to his pc and my cell phone.

For one of the apartments that I manage the administration has very strict rules about overnight guests. He was able to get approval for short-term renters by 1) requiring all overnight visitors to provide photocopies of DNI or Passports and 2) putting a camera inside the apartment pointed at the front door with a feed to his pc and my cell phone.

Hello, privacy, anyone?!

GS perhaps the camera is not a bad idea :cool: . In my building ID is required 24 hours a day, for non resident visitors, also some residents have cameras on the hallway to see who is outside their doorway.

Back