Tesol/tesl/tefl English Teacher Certification- Worth It??

sarita1103

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am moving to BA to complete my Masters degree and while I was not planning to teach English while I am down there, it consistently comes up as a suggested way for me to earn extra income. Right now, Groupon.com is going a huge deal on a 150-hour Online course to get TESOL/TESL/and TEFL certified for $69. I am strongly considering buying it because 1) I have no idea how I would begin to teach English if someone hired me, 2) It's a relatively small investment, and 3) Maybe I will end up finding ample opportunity to teach English and earn extra cash after all.

I'm wondering a few things before I buy (Deadline to buy is Jan 31 at midnight)

- How important/much do people care if a teacher is certified?
- How in demand are English teachers/Is it really that EASY to find students who want to learn English?
-What do English teachers charge students in BA?

I appreciate any input or advice on the subject....Part of me feels like I should just buy the course and use it as a backup plan if no other part-time work comes up. I do have experience tutoring and working with children, so it's not totally far-fetched that I could be an English teacher ;)

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

From what I've seen, the main requirement is fluency and the ability to teach (good presentation, organization skills, people skills, etc). For teaching privately I don't think people will care too much one way or the other about the certification. Being a native speaker is convincing enough for most. However if you want to work at a private institute in a classroom setting it might be helpful getting in the door. On the other hand if you just want to review grammar rules that you haven't thought about or used since high-school, that might not be a bad idea.

Hi everyone,

I am moving to BA to complete my Masters degree and while I was not planning to teach English while I am down there, it consistently comes up as a suggested way for me to earn extra income. Right now, Groupon.com is going a huge deal on a 150-hour Online course to get TESOL/TESL/and TEFL certified for $69. I am strongly considering buying it because 1) I have no idea how I would begin to teach English if someone hired me, 2) It's a relatively small investment, and 3) Maybe I will end up finding ample opportunity to teach English and earn extra cash after all.

There is a massive demand for teachers in Argentina, but Argentines can be picky. They will not normally consult with private teachers unless you have presented yourself online in a very

- How in demand are English teachers/Is it really that EASY to find students who want to learn English?

I appreciate any input or advice on the subject....Part of me feels like I should just buy the course and use it as a backup plan if no other part-time work comes up. I do have experience tutoring and working with children, so it's not totally far-fetched that I could be an English teacher ;)

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

As the owner of an English Institute, let me tell you that the TEFL does make a difference. If you do not have any experience teaching, and you don't have an ESL degree or English degree, then it is more than likely that no one will hire you. Just because you speak English, does not mean you know how to teach it. TEFL can help you get your foot in the door. It is not that highly respected, but individuals who do not have much knowledge about ESL, like the everyday Argentine who is asking for classes, WILL respect it. This is precisely why if my teachers do not have experience or a degree, I ask that they have TEFL. If you want some recommendations on where to take TEFL classes in Buenos Aires, I can give that to you.

There is a massive demand for teachers in Argentina, but Argentines can be picky. They will not normally consult with private teachers unless you have presented yourself online in a very professional way, as there is extreme distrust of everyone. Currently, our Institute is so overwhelmed with requests (in summer!) that we have started selling contacts to teachers.

Teachers can charge between 50 pesos and 90 pesos. Our Institute charges (to individuals, not businesses) 75 in the capital per hour, and 110 for group classes.

Good luck.

I disagree with this post (respectfully!) The grammar rule from high school are useful for teaching of course. But not all that useful. They don't teach you what a conditional sentence is in High School, for instance. Grammar for learning languages is different from grammar used for writing and a native speaker. Also, it takes more than good presentation and organization skills. People want some kind of pedigree, and a TEFL is easy to get. That makes you look much more qualified in the mind of the common students. It is true that TEFL will also help you get your foot in the door.

Yeah, I am totally on the fence about it! If I was paying full price ($450USD), I would not get it...but at $69, I figure it could pay itself off eventually, and maybe even help me with my writing ;)

i would get it. most institutes do ask for the TEFL certificate now and if they are looking at resumes it could be the difference between them asking you in for an interview or not. additionally i actually thought it was a pretty helpful course!
Native English speakers are always in demand. if u look on craigslist you will see ads looking for English teachers almost everyday. finding an institute is pretty easy, but finding private students can be more difficult.
English teachers at the moment make between 50 - 60 pesos an hour through an institute but if you have no experience u might have to be prepared to accept a bit less.

Okay, cool! Yeah, my gut says to go for it...really can't be hurtful if I decide to pursue teaching.

Oh and if anyone else is interested, the course is online and can be purchased from anywhere! $69 for 150 hours of training and the certificate- $69 for a 150-Hour Online TESOL-Certification Course from TESOLS.com ($599 Value)
http://www.groupon.com/deals/tesols-com-january-hartford/raf/UserReferral_dp/121015/10r1act/email/uu10140454

I disagree with this post (respectfully!) The grammar rule from high school are useful for teaching of course. But not all that useful. They don't teach you what a conditional sentence is in High School, for instance. Grammar for learning languages is different from grammar used for writing and a native speaker. Also, it takes more than good presentation and organization skills. People want some kind of pedigree, and a TEFL is easy to get. That makes you look much more qualified in the mind of the common students. It is true that TEFL will also help you get your foot in the door.

I don't see there's much to disagree about. I did say it would be helpful for getting into an institute, but that's not what the OP was asking about. She was asking about private teaching, and whether the average student will care about the certification. My wife has been teaching privately part time for a few years, including a stint of classroom teaching at an institute and does not hold any certification. I imagine the bulk of students do not even know what any of the standard certifications are. They're mostly just kids who need some extra help with their English classes at school. It's not rocket science. My point was the *information* of the course may be helpful in teaching, but I'm not aware of any of my wife's students ever being concerned about a certification.

I would agree that it can be difficult to find private students, especially long term committed ones. More important than the certification would be your salesmanship and marketing in winning them, and your charisma and energy for keeping them interested.

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering a few things before I buy (Deadline to buy is Jan 31 at midnight)

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

69$ is a good deal, and definitely worth it.

Thank you all for the input. I will definitely be buying it and beginning the course!

Jaredberryman- I know this is a longshot considering I have not even begun the course yet, but would you mind if I reached out to you when I have arrived to BA and completed the training? It sounds like you know the market for teachers very well and I will undoubtedly need some more guidance once I am ready to begin teaching.

Thanks again, everyone!

Back