Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear in mind that it's going to be HOT and HUMID on Thanksgiving, which means that you and your guests will eat a fraction of all that rich, hot food compared to what you would eat on a cold wintry day in the states.

I cooked a big Thanksgiving here last year for 14 people (this year I'm up to 20, eesh). In the U.S. I would have bought probably an 18 pound (8 kilo) turkey for that many people, but there was a mix-up at the butcher where I ordered it and they only had one 4.5 kilo (10 lb) turkey so we made do. I was so grateful for that mix-up by the end of the night! Since it was much smaller it cooked faster so we didn't have to have the oven on for as many hours, and even with everyone eating a reasonable amount there were leftovers.

It was about 90 degrees with 90% humidity last year... we couldn't stand the thought of turning the oven on until after it cooled off and we didn't eat dinner until after midnight. It was probably my best Thanksgiving ever, however, so just be prepared to make adjustments (I plan on making blueberry sauce instead of cranberry unless anyone knows where to get them here?) and enjoy it for what it is.

Also, if possible, invite some Argentineans so you can share your traditions with locals. They're more fun anyway. When I did the obligatory 'say what you're grateful for' which in the U.S. usually produces eye-rolls and facetious responses, some of my Argentinean guests actually cried during theirs! A very special night made much more special through the cultural exchange.

Hey guys!

I just got back from a trip down south, and thought this would be a good time to see who is interested in a Thanksgiving dinner out here in Vicente Lopez.
As those of you who have been here know, I have an oven big enough to cook 3 or 4 turkeys if we need to, and another smaller one to bake some pies while the turkeys are cooking.

I'll start a separate thread about this, but we can accommodate as many folks as would like to come, as long as we know in advance how many.

I will probably ask everyone to contribute either some food, beverages, or some cash, but I bet after I do the math 20 or 30 pesos per person will pay for a LOT of food, plus the cleanup afterwards.
As is traditional, I would probably plan on starting dinner early (by BsAs standards) - probably around 4 or 5 PM
It may even be warm enough to use the pool by then!

It would be a kick if 20 or 30 folks wanted to come (more would be OK), and we can handle as many as 100 or so!

Anyway, the dinner is on if even a few of you want to come (I will have several guests staying here at the mansion, and several other friends who are coming already, so it's just a matter of RSVP'ing when I start the new thread in the next day or two!)

One of my guests is bringing some cranberry sauce, just to make it official!

Saludos,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back