The Argentine Time Tunnel.

Ah, the wealthy could gain much by improvements, but here comes the other line you mentioned: they could also loose something. So they prefer loosing money traveling to "normal" countries and write off the loss... Many are wealthy not in spite, but because the country is bad governed.

ARbound and Noesdeayer’s reflections bring to mind the following that was said about Sicilians by Prince Don Fabrizio Salina in Giuseppe Tomasi de Lampedusa’s memorable novel IL GATTOPARDO:

“They never want to improve. They think themselves perfect. Their vanity is greater than their misery.”

In some ways, this could apply just as well to a large number of Argentines who see no reason why their beautiful, bountiful country should strive for an overall better way of life, regardless of how easy it would be to achieve such an endeavor.

You atr my heroe
ARbound and Noesdeayer’s reflections bring to mind the following that was said about Sicilians by Prince Don Fabrizio Salina in Giuseppe Tomasi de Lampedusa’s memorable novel IL GATTOPARDO:

“They never want to improve. They think themselves perfect. Their vanity is greater than their misery.”

In some ways, this could apply just as well to a large number of Argentines who see no reason why their beautiful, bountiful country should strive for an overall better way of life, regardless of how easy it would be to achieve such an endeavor.

You are my hero, you know Don Fabrizio from Il Gattopardo..!! Bear in mind that many many Italians are descendants from the citizens of the territory of Prince Salina the Kingdom of the 2 Sicily's. Burt Lancaster was Prince Salina in the Movie by Visconti.

il-gattopardo.jpg

Meanwhile, Professor Hans Rosling once again proving with hard data that the world is a lot less fucked than we think it is.
Poverty is ending. Fast. And trade, education and technology could make extreme poverty a thing of the past in 15 years.

The title of this thread pretty much sums up Argentina, especially as I'm reading Bad Times in Buenos Aires and what the author writes then in 1993 is no different to what you would write today, except the characters have changed.
I feel a kind of pity really and just wish the country could move on.

The title of this thread pretty much sums up Argentina, especially as I'm reading Bad Times in Buenos Aires and what the author writes then in 1993 is no different to what you would write today, except the characters have changed.
I feel a kind of pity really and just wish the country could move on.

Very scary after 1993 Menem was relected and his 2nd. period led to the Disaster by 1998 . 1999

Very scary after 1993 Menem was relected and his 2nd. period led to the Disaster by 1998 . 1999
And to think he went head to head with Nestor Kirchner in 2003.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_general_election,_2003

You atr my heroe

You are my hero, you know Don Fabrizio from Il Gattopardo..!! Bear in mind that many many Italians are descendants from the citizens of the territory of Prince Salina the Kingdom of the 2 Sicily's. Burt Lancaster was Prince Salina in the Movie by Visconti.

il-gattopardo.jpg

The “link” between Sicilians and many Argentines is precisely why I quoted Don Fabrizio, as well as that it just seemed appropriate with regard to ARbound and Nosedeayer’s comments.

IL GATTOPARDO is a magnificent book, and Luchino Visconti’s film version of it is one of the best ever novel-to-movie adaptations. Arguably Visconti’s supreme cinematic achievement, IL GATTOPARDO is undoubtedly one of the finest films of the 20[sup]th[/sup] century.

Have you seen the 2010 digital high-definition (4K) restoration that was supervised by cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno under the auspices of Martin Scorsese’s Film Foundation? The Criterion Blu-ray edition is simply exquisite; the clarity and color are so astonishingly beautiful that it leaves one breathless. One of the incontestably great treasures of the art of cinema.

Thanks for the tip will try to watch the movie.

My posting should have read..."Bear in mind that many many Argentinians ( Instead of Italians....!) are descendants from the citizens of the territory of Prince Salina the Kingdom of the 2 Sicily's. Burt Lancaster was Prince Salina in the Movie by Visconti.

Thanks for the tip will try to watch the movie.

My posting should have read..."Bear in mind that many many Argentinians ( Instead of Italians....!) are descendants from the citizens of the territory of Prince Salina the Kingdom of the 2 Sicily's. Burt Lancaster was Prince Salina in the Movie by Visconti.

Glad someone could appreciate Il Gattopardo , a cry in the Dark :rolleyes:

Moreover when Giuseppe Garibaldi started the last Revolutionary Unification campaign and conquered Sicily in May 1860, created such a havoc and instability followed by hunger and crisis in Sicily and Southern Italy , as a result millions of impoverished Italian peasants migrated to America and Argentina.... !

For a picture of the Poverty and hopelesness in that area of Southern Italy ruled by feudal landlords and starving peasants watch the film below

The Wooden Clog
[background=rgb(246, 246, 245)]An absolutely engrossing film. A wonderful slice of life in rural Italy at the turn of the century. No great dramatics but a detailed examination of a year of peasant life...[/background]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077138/

Rich One. "Very scary after Menem was relected in 1995 "?. I respectfully beg to differ. Menem was relected by a very large majority in 1995 The attempts at labor reform were blocked by the Radicals led by especally by Rodolfo Terragno.The huge hyperinflation and civil unrest were under De La Rua which led to his resignation in Dec.2001.VERY scary and very doubtful would best describe De la Rua's adminstration.He was dubbed, "de la duda" ,Were you living here then?

Back