The Argentine Time Tunnel.

Noesdeayer

Registered
Up here in NYC with all the praise from the U.S. media concerning Pope Francis's timely and forward looking speech this A.M.,it is saddening for me to read in the Argentine press that Estela de Carlotto considers Scioli's possible victory as a good "transition" to a return for CFK in 2019.Anibal Frenandez felt obliged to clarify that she was entitled to her opinion but that Scioli woud be more a "guardian" than a "transition".OMG,Those of us who can remember the early 70s with the slogan,"Campora Presidente,Peron al Poder". are wondering, will Argentina ever really come out of the 70s? Will the Peronists ever become forward looking instead of regressing backward? Your guess is as good as mine.

OMG,Those of us who can remember the early 70s with the slogan,"Campora Presidente,Peron al Poder". are wondering, will Argentina ever really come out of the 70s? Will the Peronists ever become forward looking instead of regressing backward? Your guess is as good as mine.

Weren't the 90s forward-looking enough for everyone? Mr. Menem, as you may recall, was/is a Peronist...

Weren't the 90s forward-looking enough for everyone? Mr. Menem, as you may recall, was/is a Peronist...

A Member Of The FPV to boot. Yet none of the Ks seem to remember that when going on about how Macri is going to be the return of the 90's

This is what Bajo has been saying here for months. I've heard they said the same about the peronist president Menem. 4 years is a long time for things to change.

Bradly: The 90s weren't forward looking at all.They were a miragae (un espejismo) .The tie to the U$D was needed to give Argentina some sort of stable currency and to stop the hyperinflation of the late 80s brought about by Alfonsin's fiscal misgovernment and by the lack of democratic participation,understanding of market economics and entrepreneurism of most of the population.It was a blank check for the high and middle income groups to bankroll their life styles and they enjoyed to the fullist.True,the low income salaried groups suffered markedly thru an increase in unemployment. However,on the plus side there was close to 0 inflation for about 11 years which was a boon to them as it was,indeed,possible for EVERYBODY to forward plan and buy on credit.Something not experienced in Argentina for decades.Cavallo did try to introduce some reform in Peronist labor legislation but the Radicals blocked him at every turn.In the past,Argentines used to almost revel in calling themselves "indomitos" - "ungovernable".which,in truth,they appear to be.Sadly,much to their determent

There is no past, no future, just Peron...

But, I think the thing that best summarizes the issue with the inability to be governed is something my Argie friend said:

Me: "The shame is you guys have a country with so much potential, yet it's wasted and it could be developed, wealthy and like a G8 one."
Him: "Who says we want to be like that?"

I think this is the problem, like the first step with an alcoholic they have to admit there is a problem, and it is possible to over come it. If
Argies don't believe both, or either, then there is no point trying.

ARbound: A very interesting comment, It's not that they don't believe that there is a problem.They simply don't care.There are 3 phrases in Argentine Spanish that sum it up quite well. 1) Sin dar mucho golpe- Without working too hard.2) No te gastes-Don't work up a sweat.3) Podrias perder lo que ya tenes.-You could loose what you already have.
One of the main reasons for their indifference is that Argentina is so rich in natural resources.Their population is a little over 40 million and they could probably feed 400 million.
" La abudancia malcria y la escasez educa". "Abundance spoils you and scarcity educates you" Japan and Chile are 2 good examples.

ARbound and Noesdeayer’s reflections bring to mind the following that was said about Sicilians by Prince Don Fabrizio Salina in Giuseppe Tomasi de Lampedusa’s memorable novel IL GATTOPARDO:

“They never want to improve. They think themselves perfect. Their vanity is greater than their misery.”

In some ways, this could apply just as well to a large number of Argentines who see no reason why their beautiful, bountiful country should strive for an overall better way of life, regardless of how easy it would be to achieve such an endeavor.

To be fair, for those in the middle class or wealthy things are *generally* are fine, my point about development isn't so neoliberals can
have a field day, or companies can have the GDP of African nations like in the States, its so that those on the margins, the plurality of Argentines,
don't struggle between poverty and inflation.

Back