The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

Ben Stein as in: Ben Stein, the narrator from "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed"?

The only words coming from him you can trust are 'Why', 'was' 'in', 'such', 'a', 'to', 'get', 'and'.

So let's see - you're saying you shouldn't listen to someone who sees intelligent design in everything and believes people are trying to hide evidence of this intelligent design so it isn't taught in school?

And yet, I take it it's ok to listen to people who say there is a big, white-bearded father-like figure that lives in the sky and insists that you worship him or you'll go live in eternity with his alter-ego, the pitchfork-wielding, pointy-tailed fellow with horns growing out of his forehead.

BTW - I'm not accusing you of anything, particularly not of being a religious zealot. However, in my experience I've had to listen to a lot of people that I thought had really silly ideas on one thing and turned out to be quite right about another. In this day and age, seems like nearly everyone believes in at least the kindly father image hanging out in the sky. Is he so crazy for going one step further and asking it be taught in school? On this subject, I think yeah, maybe a little nuts. But so what?

I didn't find anything insane in Ben Stein's writings that SteveInBsAs posted. Maybe Stein's a really smart guy about politics and no so much about religion and how it's taught in schools?

That's one reason everything is so polarized in the States these days - even people's beliefs must be polarized, it seems. Someone says one thing you don't agree with, even strongly, and there is no basis for common ground on anything else.

And yet, I take it it's ok to listen to people who say there is a big, white-bearded father-like figure that lives in the sky and insists that you worship him or you'll go live in eternity with his alter-ego, the pitchfork-wielding, pointy-tailed fellow with horns growing out of his forehead.
Hold it there is a guy on this forum that carries a pitchfork and has horns. You can see his avatar.

So let's see - you're saying you shouldn't listen to someone who sees intelligent design in everything and believes people are trying to hide evidence of this intelligent design so it isn't taught in school?

I believe you've got that precisely backwards. The thoroughly discredited intelligent design "movement" was in fact an effort to smuggle the white-bearded sky daddy into the school systems under another banner. As conceived and promoted by the Discovery Institute, it was nothing more than creationsim in disguise. Opponents of ID are generally atheists/agnostics, not religious types.

Edit: I do agree that the polarization of discourse is an enormous problem, but I think people like Ben Stein contribute to--rather than ameliorate--that phenomenon. Honestly, I've seen no evidence that he's ever been correct about anything, although he was memorable as Ferris Bueller's teacher.

BTW - I'm not accusing you of anything, particularly not of being a religious zealot. However, in my experience I've had to listen to a lot of people that I thought had really silly ideas on one thing and turned out to be quite right about another. In this day and age, seems like nearly everyone believes in at least the kindly father image hanging out in the sky. Is he so crazy for going one step further and asking it be taught in school? On this subject, I think yeah, maybe a little nuts. But so what?

I didn't find anything insane in Ben Stein's writings that SteveInBsAs posted. Maybe Stein's a really smart guy about politics and no so much about religion and how it's taught in schools?

That's one reason everything is so polarized in the States these days - even people's beliefs must be polarized, it seems. Someone says one thing you don't agree with, even strongly, and there is no basis for common ground on anything else.
I understand every word and every sentence you have written above - but you'll have to explain what you mean.

Ben Stein makes an average politician look as honest as the day is long.

As for "intelligent Design", please explain how it fits into a scientific curriculum - that will be a first ever.

Edit: I am about as irreligious as is possible, don't believe in the Easter Bunny either.

"As for "intelligent Design", please explain how it fits into a scientific curriculum - that will be a first ever."
The answer lies in the hands of the revisionist morons in Texas that rewrite text books to exclude evolution and scientific method.
These people are the real threat to the US of A - cut science to become a third world country with a nuclear arsenal.

These people are the real threat to the US of A - cut science to become a third world country with a nuclear arsenal.

I don't fear them nearly as much (if at all) as I do the man made climate change fanatics who consider carbon a pollutant and want to destroy the coal industry.

Coming soon from a government near you: Skyrocketing energy prices as promised by a President who will implement provisions of Cap and Trade by executive order.

He has already granted himself the power to do so.

It's another good reason to be an expat in Argentina.,,where my electric bill (without a subsidy) is about $30 UDS per month.

And I am fa more concerned that the youth of America are being taught that the USA is a bad country, that Capitalism is evil, and the purpose of government is to take care of people.

The ACA act not only requires all Americans to buy a "government approved" insurance plan, it will dictate in minute detail exactly who will get care at what stage in their lives and who will not.

At this point, because there are not yet any members of the "death" panel, many of those details are up to the sole discretion ("intelligent design") of one woman.

Now, that's a real threat to the lives of many individuals who just recently could receive the care they will be denied in the future.

It is likely to result in the deaths of at least 45,000 Americans per year.

But that's just part of the plan.

I don't fear them nearly as much (if at all) as I do the man made climate change fanatics who consider carbon a pollutant and want to destroy the coal industry.

Coming soon from a government near you: Skyrocketing energy prices as promised by a President who will implement provisions of Cap and Trade by executive order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

but of course its just obama trying to close down the coal industry

Thanks Obama!

He has already granted himself the power to do so.

It's another good reason to be an expat in Argentina.,,where my electric bill (without a subsidy) is about $30 UDS per month.

And I am fa more concerned that the youth of America are being taught that the USA is a bad country, that Capitalism is evil, and the purpose of government is to take care of people.

The ACA act not only requires all Americans to buy a "government approved" insurance plan, it will dictate in minute detail exactly who will get care at what stage in their lives and who will not.

At this point, because there are not yet any members of the "death" panel, many of those details are up to the sole discretion ("intelligent design") of one woman.

Now, that's a real threat to the lives of many individuals who just recently could receive the care they will be denied in the future.

It is likely to result in the deaths of at least 45,000 Americans per year.

But that's just part of the plan.
This .Plus this........"I'd Rather Be In Argentina Than On Flight 93 In The Us!"

And you think Ghosts are incoherent. WTF

Back