The Best Reason Now To Be An Expat In Argentina...

That's pretty strong.

His victims might disagree with you. Like Walli Sha, who is 7.

8338911.png

Or Shakira, who is 4.
111222013028-drone-victim-shakira-story-top.jpg

Or the parents of these kids.
children.jpeg

Obamacare isn't about providing health care. It's about rationing health care.

And there will be greater demand than ever (as more of the people assert their so-called "right" to health care).

But there will be less care on an individual basis as more doctors just say no...(as well as the government).

Speaking of health care, I went for my second visit to a homeopath this morning.

Don't bother with the diatribes about whether homeopathy works or not. All licensed homeopaths in Argentina are also medical doctors. My particular one studied medicine in Israel and the UK. He also sent me for a battery of medical tests, an x-ray, and cardiogram, so he doesn't rely on homeopathic remedies alone.

Anyway, I mention this because during each of my visits, I have had a full 1 hour + conversation with him, not only discussing specific medical issues (not of which are serious) but also life in general. The cost for an hour consultation was a whopping 250 pesos, of which OSDE will pay more than half. OSDE will also pay for 100% of the lab tests.

So, tell me again about how great healthcare is in the US?

I haven't sought health care in the USA since 1999.

I had what is now referred to as a "junk" health care policy...And it paid almost all of the $12,000 hospital bill I had for a one night stay following surgery,

And it cost about $100 per month.

And I paid by choice, not by force, knowing my premiums also helped cover the cost of providing care for those with no insurance.

Speaking of health care, I went for my second visit to a homeopath this morning.

Don't bother with the diatribes about whether homeopathy works or not. All licensed homeopaths in Argentina are also medical doctors. My particular one studied medicine in Israel and the UK. He also sent me for a battery of medical tests, an x-ray, and cardiogram, so he doesn't rely on homeopathic remedies alone.

Anyway, I mention this because during each of my visits, I have had a full 1 hour + conversation with him, not only discussing specific medical issues (not of which are serious) but also life in general. The cost for an hour consultation was a whopping 250 pesos, of which OSDE will pay more than half. OSDE will also pay for 100% of the lab tests.

OSDE is one of the most expensive PAID health care plans in Argentina, as far as I know. I know there are some things that are controlled by the government here related to health care (regulations at least), but as far as I know they don't get subsidies from the government, paid by taxes from the people.

OSDE is able to provide a good coverage (much like Hospital Aleman - I receive excellent care from excellent doctors there) because the Argentine government pretty much leaves the private practice alone. Doctors here often make less than bus drivers and train conductors - who has the better unions? Here, the drivers, in the States, the doctors. In the States it's called the AMA (not an actual union, I know, but it holds a LOT of power related to the medical industry, not to mention the insurance lobby, etc).

Here, you contract with a medical PROVIDER not an insurance company. I like that a lot. I like the way they do medical here. Much better than the States in my opinion, although maybe not as much of the esoteric high-tech stuff is available here that is available in the States who have access to it.

I think both Steve (not speaking for him, just seem to remember him saying) and I have said that the medical/insurance industry in the States needed fixing, but ACA wasn't the fix. It actually seems to be more of a problem. The Democrats went up against the Republicans with the idea of getting as close to a single tax-payer system they could and ended up with a mess due to compromises they even had to make inside their own party because a goodly portion weren't necessarily for single payer system.

I wonder if you would have as much luck with homeopathic medicine at a public hospital (I really don't know). But I also wonder if they are so ready to do a bunch of tests that don't cost you anything but them something. It may not be a problem, but I don't know how much homeopathic medicine is done here in public hospitals and how much personal attention you get. What I've seen with the poor and the hospitals they have easy access to does not lead me to think it would be as good as what you are receiving at OSDE.

Not very many people (percentage of population) can afford OSDE. Hell, I find it too expensive for me. And $250 pesos is a lot of money for a great number of families in Argentina, to sit and talk for an hour about medical care.

I'd say your anecdote about medical care here compared to the States would have to include what access the "normal" people here have to the kind of experience you're talking about. A much larger percentage of Americans were covered with access to good health care than are covered here with private medical plans.

Those 'junk' health care policies are aptly named. Around 60% of bankruptcies in the US are caused by medical bills, and 80% of those had health insurance, but were drowned in co-pays, deductibles, and uncovered services. (Joint study by Harvard Law and Medical Schools).

I'd say your anecdote about medical care here compared to the States would have to include what access the "normal....
GF's mother is something like 80 years old and has all the things that go with old age. Doctor regularly visits her at HOME, she uses a walker, cannot navigate so well. When in the hell was the last time anyone ever heard of a USA doctor make a "House Call" to accommodate a person's disability, especially on Medicare?

If I had a dollar for every time I wrote out a long post then just closed my browser before I clicked Post ........

Edit: Especially in this thread.

Edit2: And the Scottish joke I told then deleted. Ejcot kindly seemed to have ignored it. :D
Your dollars are being forwarded via bitcoin.

Back