The Bsas Zoo

garryl

Registered
The BsAs zoo is manged by a private management company hired by the city, the contract only remains 2 years.
The rumor is saying that the city is going to close it. But the head of the zoo Gabriel Aguado insists that the zoo will be open, and the people who donated the land in 1875 only allowed the land to be used as zoo. Gabriel said the zoo was badly managed because of the poor funding of the past governments. He hopes the new government will allocate more funding and improve the life of the locked animals.
I thought the zoo was not too bad, but not as good as the one in Madrid. I wonder if the apartments on Republic India can smell the elephant shit ?

095147dxiczvtos2xsnawk.jpg

The zoo is a black mark on BA...an embarrassment to the city. Go to Temaiken to see how to do it right.
I have a friend who lives on Republica de India, and the view from above (and the mournful sounds) is even worse.

it's in desperate need of repair but i don't think it should be closed, rather fixed up, reducing the number of species so that they can get larger enclosures.

From what i see its Lujan zoo that should be closed.
o6u79vH.jpg

The zoo is a black mark on BA...an embarrassment to the city. Go to Temaiken to see how to do it right.
I have a friend who lives on Republica de India, and the view from above (and the mournful sounds) is even worse.
I wonder what it's like to live there. From below it's not so bad.

North Carolina governor Mark Sanford and his Argentine lover Maria Chapur probably know.

http://www.politico....tionship-119143

Maria+Belen+Chapur+Peggy+Sanford+John+Boehner+f0VPcnmq7TJl.jpg

it's in desperate need of repair but i don't think it should be closed, rather fixed up, reducing the number of species so that they can get larger enclosures.

From what i see its Lujan zoo that should be closed.
o6u79vH.jpg

Nope, just let the lion and the other animals out and put the dumb chick behind the bars...

There are some things to be said about the laissez-faire attitude at the BA zoo w/r/t letting small mammals run around begging for food. The maras are great. I tend to check out zoos in every country I go to, and I found that rather charming. On the other hand, it's because the jerks aren't paying to feed the animals themselves, and the condition of the enclosures is a disgrace. I'm not an anti-zoo person exactly, I like a good zoo. But the corruption and nepotism and general mistreatment here are absolutely awful. I think most people in this city see it the same way. Nor am I a fan of privatization: Scandals that have erupted from San Diego to Australia show that you can't trust private companies to run a zoo. Zoos are, in fact, an offshoot of circuses and carnival shows, and the point of a well-managed and government-run zoo is to keep profit motive from hurting the animals. Unfortunately, in this country, government jobs like zoo management are considered cushy ways to bilk millions of dollars from taxpayers while allowing animals to nearly starve. If you want to know the level of corruption in a country, look at its zoo.

Better yet, abstain. Zoo s would not exist except for people that insist on seeing animals deprived of their God given liberty. Why would anyone want to see that? Why would anyone contribute to the corruption? The animals are disgraced, and the idle viewers are disgraced. That old concept of "Moral Imperative" still functional? I think so.

I think the good zoo can be good thing. We are exploiting everything on this world, even if we don't do it intentionally. Combined with intentional destruction, some species wouldn't even exist if there wouldn't be zoos.

Of course we can picture perfect world, where no one is suffering, but sadly not possible.

Good zoo can help to arise awareness in younger generations, since many times this is the only place, where kids can actually see some animal that is not packed and served.

Comparing to industrial conditions, zoos are animal heaven, especially good managed ones. We just have to aim for them to be good, not crowded, no species that can't stand the local environment, and run by people that care.

It's a touchy subject, but saying "free the animals" is bad solution, since many were never even free before,for generations.

But this is Argentina, many things don't work here as they should, zoo is just reflecting the reality...

Back