The city has just declared a Sanitary Emergency

There are other southern hemisphere countries moving into the height of winter with perhaps a little less locura. Here are the latest measures adopted by the Australian government:

The Australian Government has moved to a new PROTECT response phase to manage the outbreak of H1N1 Influenza 09. PROTECT recognises that the infection of H1N1 Influenza 09 is mild in most cases, severe in some and moderate overall and that the Australian Government emphasis is on identifying and treating early infection in the vulnerable.
As of Monday 22 June 2009, border measures including thermal scanners and health declaration cards will NOT form part of the new response.
With respect to school-aged children returning to Australia, the emphasis will now be on excluding children with acute respiratory illness from school.
School exclusions for children who have travelled to affected countries should cease as of Monday 22 June 2009.

Q: What does the new response mean for mass gatherings?
A: Wide-scale community social distancing measures such as cancelling mass gatherings are not part of the response. Such gatherings, sporting events, interstate travel and tourism generally should continue unrestricted, given the moderate nature of the infection. However, people who are vulnerable to serious complications of influenza need to reconsider their attendance at such events as contact with large numbers of people can increase the risk that they come into contact with the infection. In addition, elite athletes who may decide to exclude themselves from their sport to protect themselves or other team members from H1N1 Influenza 09.

Is the protect phase consistent with WHO recommendations?
A.Australia's move to PROTECT phase is fully consistent with the WHO's guidelines for national governance which recognise that the disease is highly transmissible but generally mild.
The WHO recommends that Governments limit the testing and investigation of patients to those deemed to be at highest risk
The WHO does not recommend border closures, travel restrictions, mass quarantine or discrimination based on country of origin.
The Government has been mindful of WHO's advice in developing the PROTECT phase.

ba4u2008 said:
There's absolutely no evidence that wearing surgical masks protects anyone from getting anything. The most that it does is to prevent widespread scatter of particles when a person sneezes. If you're polite & sneeze into your arm, that won't happen anyway.

Masks are for the paranoid and have very little effect in preventing flu. On the streets of Buenos Aires it seems to be the new fashion to cover your mouth with a scarf leaving the nose and especially the hands vulnerable to infection. Germs enter the body mainly through the hands so surgical gloves are way more preventive than masks .

The only thing I pray for is that the Porteños become as paranoid about their outrageous road toll which is completely preventable and is a national disgrace causing more than 10000 deaths per annum in a population of 44 million. Most accidents are due to speeding , reckless driving in many cases due to alchohol and especially drugs these days.

The government must spend the equal amount of monies as it is on swine flu to make our roads safer . They could employ 1000s of traffic police to enforce rules and have mandatory alchohol checks on most major roads in the mornings in particular. The budget spent on this will be monies well spent as revenue from fines as well as well as less monies being spent on all the thousands of road victims per annum always will be less than the budget allocated.

I am appalled by the lack of concern for this problem as it shows complete ignorance to a problem that is equivalent to a war zone figure. I will happily vote the first politician who just employs some strict road rules and has them enforced!!

Reactions: jp
But isn't a mask better than nothing if you are in a crowed train, bus or subte?? I for one would rather have a mask on if the person next to me sneezes....

I agree surgical gloves are better...but again...in a crowed area as I stated above...give me a mask...:)

The mask doens't stop you breathing in airborne particles, so it doesn't really matter if someone sneezes. It does however collect germs and general airborne filth, and keep it close to your eyes, noses and mouth which isn't much use.

The main benefit I can think of is that if you've got a mask on you are less likely to unconsciously touch your face, which is the main way the disease is transmitted - from your own hands to your face.

Anyone who is interested in the swine flu and the cover up should go to the public grave yard of San Miguel

Just received this email and wanted to pass it along:

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Argentina of the health risks associated with the World Health Organization (WHO)-declared 2009-H1N1 influenza pandemic, which has resulted in illness in numerous countries. The current outbreak in Argentina has caused federal, provincial, and municipal authorities to announce several measures to prevent the illness from spreading. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that Americans at high risk for complications of influenza and considering travel to areas affected by 2009-H1N1 influenza, such as Argentina, discuss their travel plans with their doctor. Together, they should look carefully at the 2009-H1N1 flu situation at their destination including available health-care options in the area. They should discuss their specific health situations and possible increased risk of traveling to the area affected by 2009-H1N1 flu. This Travel Alert expires on September 14, 2009.

The Government of Argentina has announced a US$263 million effort to take action against the influenza outbreak. All of Argentina’s 23 districts and the city of Buenos Aires have extended school vacations, some by as long as a month. Twelve of Argentina’s districts, including the Province of Buenos Aires and the city of Buenos Aires, have declared administrative health emergencies. Throughout the country, authorities advise against attending events involving large gatherings of people. The media is issuing public health advice on a continuing basis. The federal government is updating measures on a daily basis and has not ruled out more restrictive actions.

As of July 6, the Ministry of Health had reported 2,485 confirmed cases of 2009-H1N1, including 60 deaths. These figures are updated daily. Currently, there is insufficient international scientific data about the course of the pandemic to determine the highest risk groups for complications of novel influenza A (2009-H1N1) virus infection. According to medical authorities, the same age and risk groups who are at higher risk for seasonal influenza complications should also be considered at higher risk for 2009-H1N1 influenza complications.

Groups at higher risk for seasonal influenza complications include:

Children less than 5 years old;
Persons aged 65 years or older;
Children and adolescents (less than 18 years) who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy and who might be at risk for experiencing Reye's Syndrome after influenza virus infection;
Pregnant women;
Adults and children who have chronic pulmonary, cardiovascular, hepatic, hematological, neurologic, neuromuscular, or metabolic disorders;
Adults and children who have immunosuppression (including immunosuppression caused by medications or by HIV);
Residents of nursing homes and other chronic-care facilities.

Not all respiratory illnesses are 2009-H1N1 influenza, but may be seasonal influenza or another illness. Specific questions or concerns about influenza or specific high-risk conditions should be directed to a medical professional.

For additional information please consult the Department of State information on 2009-H1N1 Flu, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Website or the World Health Organization Website for information on how to avoid contracting the virus and how to treat it if infected. U.S. citizens also may call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the U.S. for the latest travel information. The Office of Overseas Citizens Services can be reached from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, M-F, at 1-888-407-4747, or if calling from outside the U.S., at (202)-501-4444. For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section, located at 4300 Avenida Colombia, 1425 Buenos Aires; telephone+54-11-5777-4354; after hours emergency telephone +54-11-5777-4873; ACS unit fax +54-11-5777-4293; e-mail [email protected] ; web page.

Americans living or traveling in Argentina are encouraged to register with the U.S. Embassy through the State Department's travel registration website, so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security within Argentina. Americans without internet access may register directly with the U.S. Embassy.

katti said:
That is not possible, many people have the swine flu without being confirmed.

When you look at the number of people who died, it really seems scary, but normally, during 1 year, around 4000 people die in Argentina of 'normal flu'.

From september on they expect 40 people A DAY to die in the UK. THAT is really scary!

I think you shoud know more about the people dying, do they all have underlying conditions or were they healthy people?

We shouldn't panic, but we should be very careful not to get it, for us and for our kids.

Who are "they" are they the same "they that said millions would die of aids? so far the UK death toll from Aids is 140.
I agree with Pericles, the biggest danger to life and health in Argentina is still Traffic.
Good diet frequent hand washing and good general hygene are the best ways to avoid infection. Rest and rapid treatment the best way to treat it if you get it.

It's notable, too, that the population of the U.K. is double that of Argentina.

tangobob said:
Who are "they" are they the same "they that said millions would die of aids? so far the UK death toll from Aids is 140.

Ummmm... I find this extremely hard to believe. Maybe for the year 1983, before it had spread much into the UK, but... yeah, no.

UPDATE:

If quick research is to be believed, although the USA is purported to have over 17,000 deaths from AIDS, the UK is believed to have under 500. I find that extremely difficult to believe but I have absolute no data to contradict that nor do I currently have the time.

As for the being smart, I have to say that I have been drinking more orange juice (full of Vitamin C and super cheap to make the home made kind) and other liquids as well as getting more sleep than normal down here. I think that this country runs on ~5 hours sleep with the occasional 15 hour crash. I think that if you get in the 7-8 range you should be fine. Then again, I've got a pretty strong immune system and have only gotten the other flu about 5 times in my many, many years.

Back