The coming USA currency crisis and Argentina

Today´s event that the Presidenta wants the Central Bank to raid the reserves to pay the country´s internal debt may give those with US dollar income a big boost. The rate of exchange may rise from 3.80 pesos to 4.50 to the dollar....

All the pots and pans being banged tonight was the protesting that the porteños use to complain about the decision to remove the Head of the Central Bank as he refused to follow her directive to use the reserves.

Stay tuned...

citygirl said:
Seems relevant to this discussion:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a1xB02hZsSBY

The dollar today rose against 15 of the 16 major currencies.

citygirl thanks for the link however it's important to look at this within the broader context. as we know, nothing moves in a straight line. the dollar will most certainly have days where it will gain against the other major currencies. the long term trend for the dollar however is most definitely down.

all we need to do is look at the fact that the dollar has lost 95% of its purchasing power since the last century.

as i stated in an earlier post, the dollar index was 121 in july of '01 where as today it is a measly 77.

all of this combined with the quantitative easing being done by the federal reserve will eventually lead to hyperinflation if we don't drastically change our current course.

again, we only need look at the fundamentals in order to understand what is unfolding.

marksoc said:
No, they will not. The process of de-USA-fication has started. Only a few years more, until the Chinese have enough of a consumist middle class to stop caring about the "Americans". The USD will not "go down", simply will davaluate steadily, maybe slowly, maybe not, against the other currencies.

But it is not what happens to all fiat currencies (lets call them for their name in the real world: currencies). I don't understand this American obsession with gold. Currencies are backed by the real production activity of the local economy. Maybe the zeroes can grow and be cut, but generally societies are pretty much stable (but notable exceptions). Money is only a way to exchange commodities-meerchandise (work-force, products, etc), always remember that.

mark, while i agree with you on some points, i must digress on some others.

it is true that eventually, china will depeg the yuan from the dollar, which will allow it to appreciate. this means a new chinese middle class will develop, which will replace the consumption of the USA. that is the long term strategy. not sure how many years it will take.

as i've stated in previous posts, there will most likely be a devaluation of the dollar. we don't know if it will be controlled or sudden but it will happen. why take a chance? why not buy gold/silver now to hedge. gold is up 9 years straight and this year will be 10.

as far as fiat currencies, it is the end result of just about any fiat currency that it will be destroyed through abuse and over printing by its own government. all we need to do is look at all the great empires throughout history. the US is no exception. if you think otherwise, i'd think again.

currencies are NOT necessarily backed/represented by the economic production activity of the economy. that is why governments create inflation. because they can. because they have nothing stopping them from printing money out of thin air and enjoying the immediate benefits of the illusion of rising asset values and overall economic prosperity.

obsession with gold? i think it's just the opposite. i don't think enough americans know about gold. if they did, they'd be pulling money out of their bank cds and parking it into precious metals.

we all know what money is. however i believe one of the biggest points that most don't understand is that gold is real money. silver is real money. the paper bills that we hold in our pocket is not real money because it has zero intrinsic value. it has counter party risk.

White Chocolate said:
I agree with Marksoc, very few currencies are directly pegged to the US dollar any more. "Fiat Currency" from the Latin "Fiat" means "Let there be". It is currency by government decree, without being backed by tangible assets, such as the gold. Almost by definition, all fiat currencies move independently as their value is based solely on the confidence people have in each government that prints them.

This as opposed to 'pegging a currency' to the value of the dollar (or other anchor). When this happens, all pegged currencies would move in lockstep with the dollar. As far as Argentina's history with that, if anyone does not know it you should do some reading because it is a textbook study in pegging and then de-pegging, if you will, your currency to the dollar.

In my opinion, the current US currency situation is like the mutually assured destruction of the cold war. Some would say we are screwed if China (and others stop) loaning us money. We are like US individuals too used to living above our means. This may be true, but at least for the time being, if China and these other countries stopped loaning us money we would stop buying all their crap so they would just be shooting themselves in the foot. That is why it most likely will not happen at least not in the foreseeable future.

So again, I say to the original poster of this thread do not worry too much about it and if you are, simply put some of your money in some other currency. I am somewhat concerned about the short term valuation of the dollar so I plan to convert my cash position into 1/3 dollars, 1/3 Euros, and 1/3 Brailian reals before moving at the end of this month. If anyone in the forum would like to chime in as to what they feel are the best currencies to hold your money in while in BA and why I would love to hear your opinions.

white choc....i think you should probably be doing a lot of reading yourself as well.

about 65% of the world uses the dollar to some degree, either directly as their own currency or to back up their own local currency, argentina being a perfect example of course. hence, if the US inflates its currency, argentina must also inflate the peso. otherwise, the peso would gain in value against the dollar thus hurting exports.

if there is a major devaluation, what's going to happen to all the countries whose central banks have their reserves in dollars? things will be very unpleasant however things will be the worst for americans obviously.

stop listening to the propaganda that china will continue to lend the US money, simply not true. china is only saying that in order to maintain the value of the almost 2 trillion dollars it holds in reserves. making an announcement of not buying dollars would see the value of their dollar reserves plummet. makes sense right? this is all a geo political game. china is smiling while at the same time trying to get out of the dollar as fast as possible.

in the meantime, it is buying gold like mad as well as spending billions of those dollar reserves each month on natural resources and everything else it will need to keep its economy running for the next 25 years. the chinese government has announced on national tv, instructing its citizens to buy gold and silver. china knows what's coming, they're not stupid, only americans appear to be the dumb ones.

in short, everybody is inflating, not just the US. that is why it is not recommended to hold the majority of your funds in ANY fiat currency be it dollars, euros, pounds, yen or reals. i would hold at least 25% in gold then divide the rest as you wish.

gold is up 9 years in a row. the dollar index was 120 in july 2001 and is 77 today. the federal reserve has printed a trillion dollars out of thin air and there will be more to come. the opec nations have announced they will be using their own currency instead of dollars to trade oil. china is making agreements with other nations to conduct trade in yuan instead of dollars. multiple nations are calling for a new reserve currency. our economy is a dead man walking. there will be no recovery.

i mean seriously, how much more evidence do you need? what else needs to happen before you start to realize what is happening here?!

redrum said:
citygirl thanks for the link however it's important to look at this within the broader context. as we know, nothing moves in a straight line. the dollar will most certainly have days where it will gain against the other major currencies. the long term trend for the dollar however is most definitely down.

all we need to do is look at the fact that the dollar has lost 95% of its purchasing power since the last century.

as i stated in an earlier post, the dollar index was 121 in july of '01 where as today it is a measly 77.

all of this combined with the quantitative easing being done by the federal reserve will eventually lead to hyperinflation if we don't drastically change our current course.

again, we only need look at the fundamentals in order to understand what is unfolding.

Hope this doesn't come across as snarky but just for the record, have you shorted the dollars with your own money?

I envy your certainty.

redrum said:
i mean seriously, how much more evidence do you need? what else needs to happen before you start to realize what is happening here?!

You make some very interesting claims but I remain skeptical and unconvinced. It's entirely possible that you're on to something but more of your assertions need to be substantiated. For example, how do you know that the government of china is encouraging its populace to guy gold? Citations would be nice.

Definitely an interesting post.

citygirl said:
Seems relevant to this discussion:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a1xB02hZsSBY

The dollar today rose against 15 of the 16 major currencies.

That's hardly relevant. The dollar goes up and down all the time.

Carolina Girl said:
All the pots and pans being banged tonight was the protesting that the porteños use to complain about the decision to remove the Head of the Central Bank as he refused to follow her directive to use the reserves.

Stay tuned...

I asked one of them why she was banging, to which she replied: "The president needs to do what God wants".

Anyone know why the central banker refused a presidential order?

objectiveous said:
For example, how do you know that the government of china is encouraging its populace to guy gold? Citations would be nice.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/159962-china-urges-citizens-to-buy-gold-and-silver

Anyone know why the central banker refused a presidential order?

My bet is political aspirations for 2011. I don't think that Martin Redrado was trying to "defend the country" or something, he is your typical neocon/Chicago Boy.

marksoc said:
My bet is political aspirations for 2011. I don't think that Martin Redrado was trying to "defend the country" or something, he is your typical neocon/Chicago Boy.

I know very little about Martin Redrado so I'm curious how he can manage to both a necon and a Chicago Boy. Looking at his bio he certainly doesn't seem to be either. He certainly didn't study at Chicago with Friedman or Arnold Harberger in the 70's as he was 9 years old in 1970.

If anything he looks to have been influenced by Jeffrey Sachs and Harvard. As for his politics, I can't find much.

Perhaps you see some connect from Redrado to actual Argentine Chicago Boys like Ernesto Fontaine, Roque Fernandez, Carlos Rodriguez, Fernando de Santibañes?

Back