The Dark side of Dubai

perry

Registered
Reading this very disturbing report about Dubai I will never set foot in the Gulf States . It seems that their society is a fraud and one that shockingly abuses workers from poor countries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Some of the comments in this articles were shocking to say the least and I thank god that Argentina is very respectful to workers rights and has strict laws that protect them from avarious employers.

This is just one paragraph from this report.

The only hostel for women in Dubai – a filthy private villa on the brink of being repossessed – is filled with escaped maids. Mela Matari, a 25-year-old Ethiopian woman with a drooping smile, tells me what happened to her – and thousands like her. She was promised a paradise in the sands by an agency, so she left her four year-old daughter at home and headed here to earn money for a better future. "But they paid me half what they promised. I was put with an Australian family – four children – and Madam made me work from 6am to 1am every day, with no day off. I was exhausted and pleaded for a break, but they just shouted: 'You came here to work, not sleep!' Then one day I just couldn't go on, and Madam beat me. She beat me with her fists and kicked me. My ear still hurts. They wouldn't give me my wages: they said they'd pay me at the end of the two years. What could I do? I didn't know anybody here. I was terrified."
One day, after yet another beating, Mela ran out onto the streets, and asked – in broken English – how to find the Ethiopian consulate. After walking for two days, she found it, but they told her she had to get her passport back from Madam. "Well, how could I?" she asks. She has been in this hostel for six months. She has spoken to her daughter twice. "I lost my country, I lost my daughter, I lost everything," she says.

"I thank god that Argentina is very respectful to workers rights"
Perry that statement is delusional at best. Workers rights in AR are still very poor. Unless you work for the government.
Dubai on the other hand is an illusion in the oasis.

ghost said:
"I thank god that Argentina is very respectful to workers rights"
Perry that statement is delusional at best. Workers rights in AR are still very poor. Unless you work for the government.
Dubai on the other hand is an illusion in the oasis.

I find your statement without any facts Ghost .

Where in Argentina does a maid earn US $ 100 per month and is kept in slave conditions with her passport confiscated?

Dubai like the whole United Arab Emirates is great if you are a local or a expat worker for a foreign multinational but if you are maid, building worker, servant and the like the conditions are amongst the worst in the world .

El salario mínimo de una empleada doméstica que no pernocta y trabaja jornadas de 8 horas subió un 25%, desde los $ 1.657,50 hasta los $ 2.071,88. Para quienes trabajan por hora, el valor de la tarifa aumentó otro 25% y pasó de $ 12,63 a $ 15,79. La medida es retroactiva al 1 de noviembre de 2011

http://www.elsalario.com.ar/main/entendetusalario/salariominimo/salario-domestico
In Argentina the minimum wage for maids is around 2100 pesos full time plus benefits and declared rights .

Most Asian and Middle easterm countries by law have dismal wages for domestic staff . Argentina also has the best minimum wages in all of South America that far exceed Chile and Brazils.

I think Dubai won't care if you don't set foot there...... its there culture, did you know that you need a visa to get there? and did you know they don't allow jews? did you know they hate americans? forget them......

Perry, as usual you missread my statement. I did not support Dubai, nor did I compare Dubai to AR. I simply said "Workers rights in AR are still very poor." Just read what I write don't inject your mission to promote Argentina beyond the reality of Argentina. It is what it is.

ghost said:
Perry, as usual you missread my statement. I did not support Dubai, nor did I compare Dubai to AR. I simply said "Workers rights in AR are still very poor." Just read what I write don't inject your mission to promote Argentina beyond the reality of Argentina. It is what it is.

Yes and your proof that workers rights are very poor? I am the first one to criticize Argentina on some issues but on workers rights it must be one of the most protected work force in the world.

Ghost and it seems that your mission is to degrade Argentina and spread mistruths beyond the reality of Argentina:rolleyes:

Also I appreciate Ghost that you answer one question that is directed to you . Insulting the messenger with cheap shots is hardly debating!!!

I am a realist. And I call it like it is.
You on the other hand are blinded by your rosey glasses and the desire to to pimp overprice realestate. And thus the locality of said realestate.

There is a wonderful yet disturbing movie called Syriana.
It shows much of what perry speaks of and goes further, it ambitiosly and sometimes simplisticly tries to show why a kid could be easily convinced to go explosive vest.

I think , Perry , that your view on argentinas workers rights are rather mioptic.
On PAPER yes , they have the legislation in place. In practice , mmm , not so much.
Its unions per population ratio are heavy on the union side.
SEVERAL terciarizado agencies have been proven to be run by the same trade union people . It sufices to illustrate that trade unions are in some measure a racket also.

I think by the evidence ive seen in the news , that the ones that are worse off are the farm workers. Did you see the report of the living conditions of the people that escaped that arandano farm in san andres de giles ? Deplorable.
They were bussed in from their province and unloaded at gunpoint. Who represents these people ?
Over the last year there were many such reports.
The argentine society isnt put off my human traficing, that is evidenced by the large qty of brothels that can be found all over buenos aires. Racketeering with workers is just another manifestation of this traficking.
The laws are in place. Their execution is lacking.

Fabe said:
There is a wonderful yet disturbing movie called Syriana.
It shows much of what perry speaks of and goes further, it ambitiosly and sometimes simplisticly tries to show why a kid could be easily convinced to go explosive vest.

I think , Perry , that your view on argentinas workers rights are rather mioptic.
On PAPER yes , they have the legislation in place. In practice , mmm , not so much.
Its unions per population ratio are heavy on the union side.
SEVERAL terciarizado agencies have been proven to be run by the same trade union people . It sufices to illustrate that trade unions are in some measure a racket also.

I think by the evidence ive seen in the news , that the ones that are worse off are the farm workers. Did you see the report of the living conditions of the people that escaped that arandano farm in san andres de giles ? Deplorable.
They were bussed in from their province and unloaded at gunpoint. Who represents these people ?
Over the last year there were many such reports.
The argentine society isnt put off my human traficing, that is evidenced by the large qty of brothels that can be found all over buenos aires. Racketeering with workers is just another manifestation of this traficking.
The laws are in place. Their execution is lacking.

Good post Fabe and I fully agree that terrible things happen in Argentina as well but the huge huge difference is that there are laws to protect these people something that is not available to many in many so called developed societies .

I do not agree that the Argentinian society is not put off by human trafficking as there are many societies that protect abused sex workers as well as government laws in place to minimise this heinous practice.

Perry , again , that is part and parcel with the attitude that prevails here.
YES I agree there are MANY of those organisations you mentioned, MANY.
They do not put a dent in the problem . We have on one hand official bullitins and international cooperation with other countries to fight that malady . Yet it all goes away when you read that Anibal fernandez stated to USEmbassy personell , that human traficking in argentina exists becasue argentine men like " young genitals" amid giggles. Its in the wikileaks cables.
So ya , its frustrating. and sometimes makes it hard to beleive official statements against traficking.
On a historical note: Zwi Migdal, how one woman took down an international prostitution cartel in argentina . MANY DECADES AGO .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwi_Migdal

Back