The difference in English and Spanish

Loads of reasons. Subjects, objects, actors and the positions of words in spanish. Add to that the fact that accents have a staggering variety in the English language. Travel 100 miles in england and that accent changes completely. I understand that english films that get shown in the US sometimes need subtitles, due to "incomprehensible regional accents"Vowel sounds in spanish are consistent, although there are different sounds for certain dipthongs, and flexibility around certain consonants. Vowel sounds in english change have a massive variety. Even fluent english speakers will often struggle to understand someone speaking perfect english with an indian accent. Just be patient and smile. Repeat slowly and clearly, try not to get frustrated. And learn spanish! The more you learn the more you realise quite how different the two languages are, despite the common root.

I have noticed this problem, though it seems only to be the less educated porteño who fails to understand. As time goes on and my spanish improves, obviously I have less problem being understood. In one place we go one of the waiters hides when we arrive, whilst another actively seeks us out (he speeks about five words of english).
Spanish is in fact a very specific and accurate language, for instance if you buy a present for your mother, spanish will differentiate whether it is for her or for her to give to someone else, so I think the problems are all to do with the wide mix of immigrants here. This said, I stood in a shop with two alfajores in my hand, and could not make the girl understand "quanto es?"

"tangobob" said:
I have noticed this problem, though it seems only to be the less educated porteño who fails to understand. As time goes on and my spanish improves, obviously I have less problem being understood. In one place we go one of the waiters hides when we arrive, whilst another actively seeks us out (he speeks about five words of english).
Spanish is in fact a very specific and accurate language, for instance if you buy a present for your mother, spanish will differentiate whether it is for her or for her to give to someone else, so I think the problems are all to do with the wide mix of immigrants here. This said, I stood in a shop with two alfajores in my hand, and could not make the girl understand "quanto es?"
If you say "Disculpe, una consulta, por favor. Quanto vale por cada una?" she will understand that you are asking the price of each alfajor. Otherwise you could be asking the quantity (obviously dos) or the weight (check the package, sir). In Mexico (at least where I lived) you would ask "...quanto questan por los dos, por favor?"As I've said before, a little Spanish goes a long way.....

The only real problems I've encountered in Bs.As. (at least, on a good day, when the tongue trips lightly over the language) are in understanding Lunfardo -- solved by speaking in a more Castillian accent (that is, with one of the accents of northern Spain) and so nixing any chance of being mistaken for an Argentine -- and in confounding Spanish with my boyhood French. I've yet to find a good solution for the latter problem.

Back